It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC project scare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hello, i have a few questions regarding the LHC project. I have read that there is a slight chance of it creating a black hole and i haven't been able to sleep. I have read a few threads on ATS with mixed views on the dangers with the LHC. And since the 10th is around the corner of it being 'switched on' i just am petrified.

I also read somewhere that a previous type machine similar to the LHC could have already created a MBH (mini black hole) that we are unaware off and in about 4 years (2012) it will suck up earth. This was stated by a Dr walter wagner..

My last concern is regarding the so called LHC black hole prediction by Nostradamus.. I have never been interested in his predictions nor am i really a believer, but how is it he nailed 'Geneva'? Maybe it seems laughable, however i am concerned, just want to sleep at night and put these 'Black hole' disasters out of my mind.

So what is the likely hood that LHC will doom earth,
or that a MBH already has been created by a previous experiment that we are unaware off?

As well i am in no way a believer of the 2012 doomsday nibiru hoax, however i find it alarming that 'if' the LHC creates a black hole that will suck up the earth it is said that it would take roughly 4 years..?? Which points to 2012.. too many disasters point to that damn date.!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have replied to a few threads about this subject, there are a lot of them.

I'm hoping that i get to talk about the relief after the switch on, I have concerns about this experiment, i am not a physicist, or know much about particle physics, it does have me worried i have to admit it.

My reasoning is the undeniable lack of understanding they have admitted to having over what is going to happen, or what they will find, I think that seeing how the BIG BANG is reported to be how the Universe started, and that it began with Particles that did not exist before that nano second before, who is to say that it will not happen again right there, the second it is turned on?

The Black Hole part has me worried less i have to say, i have seen the arguments for the Experiment, and none of it eases my fears, and you know what ? come Thursday i hope ill be sitting here reading the TLD YOU SO comments and happy, that does not alter the fact that there are some concerns, and by some important people, nobody, not one person, can say with 100% certainty, that they know exactly in every detail what will happen, not one single person, there are a lot who say they do, common sense tells me they dont otherwise why the experiment?

It is not fair these Scientists, are allowed to plug in a machine that could with unmeasurable odds blow the Universe apart, they should not have the right to do so, the human race needs to fix the problems we have right now, rather than wasting all that money on theories, theories of either outcome.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Oppenheimer didn't really know what he was about to unleash when the first atomic-bomb went off and here we still are, and throughout the centuries there have been many other science experiments that have been claimed that would rent the earth asunder...I can't wait for the LHC to be fired up...T-5 days and counting!

[edit on 7-9-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amgi2005

My last concern is regarding the so called LHC black hole prediction by Nostradamus.. I have never been interested in his predictions nor am i really a believer, but how is it he nailed 'Geneva'?

Unless Nostradamus actually used the words "Large Hadron Collider" in his prediction, I wouldn't worry. Besides, there is only one true prophet, and when he returns all will be well.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
the day will come and go , nothing bad will happen - just cal down people! A black hole requires to compress a star at least 5 times larger that our Sun into a space as big as the size of a bacteria! Yet, there are black holes that would have several billion stars in that space but did not create any new big-bang!
my guess- the scare thing went around just in order to attract the attention as people care less and less about science. Sort of trying to make science popular again . So the idea of "doomsday" could be just a form of advertising the 4 billion euro experiment!

have a good week and see you soon !

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I have concerns myself but the 10th is a red herring they won't do anything major until sometime next year .

The 10th won't be any collisions as their just sending particles round the ring in one direction as far as I know. I kind of suspect they wont release the date when they fully ramp the thing up and will only tell us afterwards presumeing nothing goes wrong.

I personally think no matter how small the odds it isn't worth the risk and should be put on the back burner till they can attempt it in space.

Mainstream science has been wrong about things all through history I have very little faith in the Ideas of Hawking in particular it's not like he's backed anything up with solid evidence anyone can play with number to prove whatever they like given enough time and resources.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hi There,

Understandable as they are, your concerns arising from this coming Wednesday's switch-on of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland, are quite unfounded. No disaster is going to befall Europe or the world...well, certainly not caused by the LHC, but that which follows the decisions and antics of the politicians is far more credible.

All that will happen on Wednesday is that the LHC will be switched on, and from that point, the beams of particles have to be brought up to the required speed in a controlled manner, and this will take quite a while...months even.

Theoretically, and this is as factual as the theory goes, the machine is capable of producing energies representing the conditions billionths of a second after the so-called 'Big Bang'. At these energies, something of a miniscule black hole could theoretically be created every second, but because it will have no mass, it will evaporate (via Hawking radiation) as quickly as it arrived. It will not be able to sustain itself to grow and thus expand and 'eat' the world. Also, what you have to bear in mind is that our planet is constantly bathed by energies far exceeding anything we can produce, and no black hole has ever appeared from them.

Somewhat coincidently, one of the reasons why the LHC was built was to enable physicists to search for the theoretical Higgs boson, which is suspected to be the particle that imparts mass to all other particles. Finding the Higgs should help to fill in the gaps of the Standard model of physics. Unfortunately, to do this requires searching at energetic levels that have only existed at the time of the Big Bang. Wouldn't it be funny if they found the Higgs, but that it simultaneously imparted mass to a mini black hole and gave it the sustenance to continue to grow and eat everything around it...including all the Toblerone in Switzerland. Now that would be ironic...extinction by success.

It is a sad indictment of the human race that most of our species are still stuck in mediaevalism's superstitions, and that they continue to still haunt and plague with fear the 21st century mind. I wish it were otherwise, then the politicians and religious leaders would not be able to play their fear-inducing sonatas upon our heart's instuments. They would not be able to con us all with the claptrap they pass to us as truth.

Deny ignorance and you'll deny fear and superstition...quite simply free your own mind by educating yourself. It really is that simple.

Best wishes

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
Somewhat coincidently, one of the reasons why the LHC was built was to enable physicists to search for the theoretical Higgs boson, which is suspected to be the particle that imparts mass to all other particles. Finding the Higgs should help to fill in the gaps of the Standard model of physics. Unfortunately, to do this requires searching at energetic levels that have only existed at the time of the Big Bang. Wouldn't it be funny if they found the Higgs, but that it simultaneously imparted mass to a mini black hole and gave it the sustenance to continue to grow and eat everything around it...including all the Toblerone in Switzerland. Now that would be ironic...extinction by success.

Lol i hadnt thought of it that way, very nice a star for you
Now im worried again
Or am i?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thread starter, i understand your fearful and worried about the end of the world. By now, you should understand from the previous posts that nothing will happen on 9/10, as they are not colliding the particles yet, not for a few month, i think they said sometime early 2009.

Listen, the world is not going to be absorbed by a black hole, nor is CERN even going to create a black hole... at all. If it were to end, WHO CARES? There are a couple members on here that agree with me on the fact that, if the world ends, at least we all go together and painlessly. Perhaps its your fear of death. A fear some have, others dont. I feel, why fear the inevitable?

Hakuna Matata.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Hi There,

Pazcat:

Lol i hadnt thought of it that way, very nice a star for you
Now im worried again Or am i?

To be honest, although the scenario of possible local amplification by Higgs bosons turning up out of the collisions, and thus feeding particles to a 'mini' black hole to get it grounded in a sustained feeding, was written by me in jest, I have to report that I am not the only one whom has thought of this.

Another fellow has asked the question on the Safety Concerns forum for the LHC, and so far the only answer he has recieved is one from me hoping he gets his question answered.

Best wishes

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Er...Hi There again,

Here's an update from CERN. They believe that if everything goes okay on Wednesday, they may well be up to the required 10 TeV collisions by Friday. Hmmm, I thought we had a little more time than that!

However, the following link should inspire confidence in the safety panel group...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Best wishes

[edit on 7/9/08 by elysiumfire]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Are there any links to that, would they even be allowed to start up that soon, surely they need some form of clearance

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Hi There,

The info I am reading is from a fellow whom is quite determined to extrapolate a mind-easing explanation from those in the know. He does seem somewhat argumentative, but this is probably due to not having his concern answered adequately.
He states that 'insiders' at CERN have informed him of this possible Fiday completion. The link for the site is...

www.lhcconcerns.com...

3rd post down...

Best wishes

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
From what I know (which is not a lot), it's not the collision that might cause issues, the theoretical problem would occur due to the speed that the particles will be travelling.
Particles will be driven around the LHC by magnetism, once a particle gets near enough to the speed of light, it may become a black hole, at which point it would be magnetically neutral. Because black holes are not affected by magnetism, the new black hole would not be under the control of the LHC. But because it will most likely evaporate, it shouldn't be a problem. Really, it shouldn't.
If the black hole remained stable and did not evaporate, then it would fly out the side wall of the LHC at near the speed of light, through the Earth until the curvature of the Earth caused it to gain altitude and it would fly off into space. I don't know what would happen then, whether or not the Earths gravity would pull it back down, or if the velocity is so high that it would start orbiting the sun, or maybe it would shoot off into deep space. I don't know.
However, a black hole that size being stable just doesn't seem possible. So I’m not worried.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by Recouper]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not worried about a thing. I'm excited. I hope the LHC gives us some amazing breakthroughs. There's a chance it could show us some amazing new things. I highly doubt it has enough energy to destroy the planet or universe. The professionals are convinced there's no danger and I'm going to have to agree.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It doesn't have enough energy to create things that large.
And this is the second one they have used however this one is larger because the last one wasn't big enough to show them what they needed to see.
They have done this before on half the scale however many god people would like to bend the truth and say they have not.
If they hadn't named the higgs boson the "God particle" and instead called it the "Fish Particle" all the religious mofo's wouldn't care.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Amgi2005

Well from what i've heard it wont be a full power test on sept 10th. ( tomorrow )... So you can relax a bit :p

Plus in the past we have had colliders before, just not as powerful, so ofc there is slight reassurances there.

and AFAIK there is particles hitting our atmosphere at the speed of light anyway ( e.g aurora Borealis ) but dont quote me on that one

Just relax guys

[edit on 8-9-2008 by shujinko90]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If you go down to the CERN today
you'll be sure of a big surprise

If you go down to the CERN today
you'd better go in disguise

For every quark that ever there was
will colllide there for certain because..

Today's the day the Bosons have their piiiic-nic

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amgi2005
Hello, i have a few questions regarding the LHC project. I have read that there is a slight chance of it creating a black hole and i haven't been able to sleep.

So did others. The projected cost of the LHC toy, which is a monument to the inability of Homo sapiens to think straight, is somewhere between 6 and 10 billion dollars! This monstrous expense is supposed to cover certain desires:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

We do this because we want to understand our role and our place in the universe.

Is there any more outrageous way to laugh at the taxpayers oppressed by the governments?

I hope that this super nonsense collider makes a big hole in the fabric of time and takes us away from the mental middle ages we are ordered at gunpoint to live.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join