It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism vs 'Godism'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I can't believe how many atheists have been posting nonsense in this site recently, I reply but I feel that I'm not even being heard. One guy posted this huge article on why Jesus never existed, reading through the snippets he put up just made me so mad. THEY MADE NO SENSE, yet someone seeing this crap doesn't even read it and then starts getting the impression that there is no God. Its so insane, the points made were made as if US law applied back 2008 years ago, and he even went as far to say that Jesus would have never been unjustly prosecuted because he committed no crime and that is the evidence for him not just not being the son of God but never even having existed. Obviously he didn't know Jesus called himself the Son of God and the Jews hated it and had him put to death. But over that is the fact countless historians agree that Jesus did walk the earth.

Anyway I want to hear THE MAIN ARGUMENTS over why you believe there is not a God, and try to keep church conspiracies down, also to make it clear I know that the majority of atheist responses here will contain no significant logic and instead will defer to saying how the church is lying. YOU GUYS ARE ABOUT GOD vs NO GOD, don't talk about churches so you can seemingly have a stronger opinion.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I call myself an "Atheist", but technicaly, I am not a practical Atheist but more of a theoretical Atheist. Therefore, I do not believe in deities. My reasoning on not believing in deities is because of no proof in my eyes. I have never seen an proof of a greater being or force changing the tides of things. I like to take an example for a great but, no longer, belief. Greek Mythology! Greek Mythology, of course, was a system of belief that there was many gods, heroes, and other deities that phyiscally exist(ed). There were many stories of this believe. My favorite is the story of Hermes in youth. Hermes was born in a secretly of Maia. Hermes, as a child was very mischievious. Hermes noticed a tortoise and he killed it, and used its shell for a lyre! He then went upon a moutain and saw Apollo's white and fluffy cattle grasing. He decided he would steal the white cattle, as that he did. Apollo then noticed his cattle gone, he goes to Hermes, and then finds his cattle. Hermes trades the lyre for the cattle. Now Hermes rounds up the cattle and takes them across the land. Now, this story is very funny, because it describes clouds! SO! In human culture, the human mind tends to want a reasoning for everything. At the time, Greeks didnt know that clouds were evaporated water in the air that is flying around in the atmosphere. So, I now go on to Christianity. I have read the whole Bible. I have read many things that have disturbed me, such as having the right to stone people that dont believe the same as you. So, from my knowledge on how things work, I completely laughed and moved on and away from religion. Now, I want to say this, I do not think modern moral values of most religions are wrong. I actually recommend religion in todays modern society! The values, and the beliefs keep people strong and nice. Some of the nicest people I know are dedicated Christians and Muslims! But, what people want to believe is their own choice, and I do not want anyone to say Im wrong or your wrong for our choices! I am assuming you are Christian (You reffered to Jesus), so, Im glad you are! But, if you want a more organised version of my belief, check out the video Zeitgeist (www.zeitgeistmovie.com... , the video is at the bottom), it describes how religions are connected and the inspirations on stories, like the birth of Christ. So, there is no war of Atheists vs. Deitists(?), I think its just mass confusion! So, in the words of Hebrew, Shalom.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Bryan LaVergne]

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Bryan LaVergne]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. It is not for me to prove the lack of existence, rather it is for you to prove the existence....this has never been accomplished satisfactorily. Thus, I am an Atheist, for wont of a better term....wait: a better explanation of my position would be I don't believe in God(s) and all their accoutrements.

Ockham's Razor.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
It's a conspiracy board, not a Christian theology board, get over it.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It amazes me that human kind has in just a few short decades of critical scientific thinking completely discarded the idea of God in many cases, a rejection of God in his idea of reality is so new for mankind it has had little chance for technology to prove or disprove such an important concept as intelligent design of creation.

Perhaps a more conservative tact should be adopted until humankind's technology has advanced to the point of actually being able to prove or disprove God's existence.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
It amazes me that human kind has in just a few short decades of critical scientific thinking completely discarded the idea of God in many cases, a rejection of God in his idea of reality is so new for mankind it has had little chance for technology to prove or disprove such an important concept as intelligent design of creation.

Perhaps a more conservative tact should be adopted until humankind's technology has advanced to the point of actually being able to prove or disprove God's existence.

You assume science even acknowledges the concept of anyone's God. This the part I find amazing. Like how ID proponents talk about the "ID vs Evolution" debate that they perceive to exist when it does not. Or that scientists are split on evolution, when that's entirely false. The God vs science debate only exists in the religious community, it's a one sided debate.

There's absolutely no reason to give the benefit of the doubt to God until an imaginary date to which we have some magic God detector.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
There's just as much proof of God as there is for the Flying Spaghetti monster. Can you give me THE MAIN ARGUMENTS over why you believe there is no Flying Spaghetti monster?

Also, the opposite of atheism is theism not "godism".

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cthulwho
There's just as much proof of God as there is for the Flying Spaghetti monster. Can you give me THE MAIN ARGUMENTS over why you believe there is no Flying Spaghetti monster?

Also, the opposite of atheism is theism not "godism".

Yeah, the prefix a- indicates that the thing that comes after is the opposite of the word starting with a-.

Atheism is the opposite of theism

just as

atypical is the opposite of typical

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Ive been readin alot of post like this lately and im gettin closer to the opion that it doesnt matter if Jesus existed or not. So many people worry about what happen with that era in history when in actuality there are so many other time periods that hold more importance like the present..people need to take a better look around, are leaders have blinded us from so many truths that by time you figure this one out historic event after historic event will decide your future..

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Why should anyone with faith in their beliefs be the least bit concerned about the lack of faith in others.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
Why should anyone with faith in their beliefs be the least bit concerned about the lack of faith in others.

Most major religions have clauses telling their followers to indoctrinate any non-members; those of no religion whatsoever are considered worse than anyone save for those holding beliefs perceived to be in polar opposition to the sect in question; ie Christians and satanists.

It's kind of a tradition. An extremely violent tradition, at times.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican

Most major religions have clauses telling their followers to indoctrinate any non-members; those of no religion whatsoever are considered worse than anyone save for those holding beliefs perceived to be in polar opposition to the sect in question; ie Christians and satanists.

I know that's what people have always been told, but to me, as a non-christian entity, it would seem that such is really interference with god's "plan" as I understand it. All fruits ripening in their own time after their own fashion, as it were. I mean, if we trust god then shouldn't we trust that he/she/it/they will be known in much the same way?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I know that's what people have always been told, but to me, as a non-christian entity, it would seem that such is really interference with god's "plan" as I understand it. All fruits ripening in their own time after their own fashion, as it were. I mean, if we trust god then shouldn't we trust that he/she/it/they will be known in much the same way?

Well it doesn't interfere with god's/gods' plan/plans as literally written in the holy books of most world religions.

If we are to take such texts as more or less the literal written word of the gods they outline, then doing that is exactly according to plan. How violent you're supposed to be at it varies quite a bit though.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Well it doesn't interfere with god's/gods' plan/plans as literally written in the holy books of most world religions.

If we are to take such texts as more or less the literal written word of the gods they outline, then doing that is exactly according to plan. How violent you're supposed to be at it varies quite a bit though.

There's always more than one path to anywhere and the holy books are certainly filled with historic portrayals of violence as well as violent prophecies and at least a couple standing orders to kill. But I suppose the parts that stand out to me more are the explicit instructions about being peaceful, loving and kind and as well not stocking up on "earthly" things. The large part of this for me is accepting that everyone has their own life to live and so long as they do so with the due respect to let others do the same we could possibly get along.

Of course that responsibility begins at the top, which is what conspiracy theories for me, whether I believe them or not, are all about. So I accept these are ideas at odds with the world I live in. But if I can do it, it isn't impossible. To me that's what hope and faith are all about.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
There is no concrete proof for a religious God as there none is against. Even when we discover the next tier in science which may prove certain aspects of the creation of the universe (I refer of course to LHC), people will say "God did that too."

Faith is far more powerful than evidence or logic.

I am not sure yet as to whether there is an Almighty or not, I think I'll have to wait for the answer, there is no way of proving 100% either way. Logic says no, weird feeling says may be.

If I had to give a for and against quickly, I'd say for; the earth has everything we need, perfectly; against; little things that have no purpose behind them at all, you can find meaning in nearly everything if you think about, but some things only have negative aspects.

I could go on about this all day, there is no bigger question really.

My biggest question to the believers would be what's the point, why would he create all of this if he knows the outcome?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sendran
My biggest question to the believers would be what's the point, why would he create all of this if he knows the outcome?

It's lonely at the top?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhombus24
I can't believe how many atheists have been posting nonsense in this site recently,

I like how you single out atheists as the only ones that post nonsense on this site. If you take a look some of the religious zealots here post equal amounts of rubbish too

And yes I am an atheist and personally I dont care if you believe in god....its not my business and hopefully you feel the same way about my beliefs

I respect everyones belief providing they dont attack others beliefs

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Then why go through all the hassle of creating the universe to populate heaven? I can even answer that myself, such is the nature of this topic. Maybe existence is the thought processes of God. He's thinking how to get more residents, and those thoughts are manifesting themselves....

Is there a God is the number one pain in the backside question ever, with the biggest consequences to people. Eternity is a heck of a long time.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I don't know of any religion but Christianity which goes to great lengths to "indoctrinate" non-believers.

For instance, if one goes to a rabbi with the intention of conversion to Judaism, the rabbi will generally try to make sure that the individual is truly sincere about becoming a Jew, and for the "right" reasons.

If a non-Christian walks into any Christian church, he/she will be welcomed with open-arms, so to speak. No real questions asked.

The Hindus have a saying about this sort of thing. They say that there is a mountain, and at the top of that mountain is "God", or divinity. And all people start somewhere at the bottom of that mountain, grouped at different places according to the faith in which they were born and raised. And while everyone else is trying to get to the top of that mountain, the Christians are running around the perimeter of the base, trying to convince everyone else to go their way.

The Hindus also say that a good Christian is a good Hindu.

Finally, I recall reading this fine quote [unfortunately, I cannot name the source]:

"Religion has caused a great-many otherwise sensible men to become aetheists."

[edit on 9.13.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sendran
Eternity is a heck of a long time.

Truly. And infinity is an awfully big place. Room enough for everything.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join