It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Excessive Quoting?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
So I was happily posting today and quoted someone to maintain context, I quoted 15 lines. Then I was WARNED that I had excessive quoting and the text was removed.

What gives?

If 15 lines is excessive quoting (including the quotation mark lines) then what exactly IS excessive quoting?

Shouldn't this be spelled out or at least a link to it in the post which is modified?

Personally I am completely turned off by this specific Moderation.

yeah.. I'm a bit peeved.

If this is really an issue... you should make quoting a manual thing. It is just too easy to hit the Quote button and start typing.

This has never been a problem in the past.. so I'm guessing bandwidth is coming at a premium these days so we have to limit quotes to 1 or two lines.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You may want to review this thread:

Excessive Quoting and How to Quote

Perhaps you should consider using the "Reply To:" button located in the upper right hand side of each post. This provides a link directly to the post you are replying to, thus negating the need to use excessive quotes.

Also using excessive quotes places an undue burden upon the servers.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
You may want to review this thread:

Excessive Quoting and How to Quote

Perhaps you should consider using the "Reply To:" button located in the upper right hand side of each post. This provides a link directly to the post you are replying to, thus negating the need to use excessive quotes.

Also using excessive quotes places an undue burden upon the servers.

Ok, I still don't see how 15 lines is excessive quoting.

I'm not arguing for excessive quoting here. I'm arguing that 15 lines is NOT excessive quoting.

I still have no idea why my post was mod'd. It says it was because of excessive quoting. Yet I don't see how 15 lines is Excessive.

Could you please explain?

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Certainly not a problem.

This is tidbit is straight from Excessive Quoting and How to Quote:

Quoting an entire post: Size doesn't matter unless the post is already small, less than 3 sentences. You will receive a warning if you quote an entire post that exceeds four or more sentences.

As you can see, 15 lines of text is probably a little more than four sentences.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Quazga: To me what you just did right there is excessive quoting... Quoting the post right above yours. I understand that someone else could post while you are but there's no need to quote every time.

Just personal thought.. means nothing

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
So I was happily posting today and quoted someone to maintain context, I quoted 15 lines. Then I was WARNED that I had excessive quoting and the text was removed.

What gives?

If 15 lines is excessive quoting (including the quotation mark lines) then what exactly IS excessive quoting?

Shouldn't this be spelled out or at least a link to it in the post which is modified?

Personally I am completely turned off by this specific Moderation.

yeah.. I'm a bit peeved.

If this is really an issue... you should make quoting a manual thing. It is just too easy to hit the Quote button and start typing.

This has never been a problem in the past.. so I'm guessing bandwidth is coming at a premium these days so we have to limit quotes to 1 or two lines.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Quazga]

I agree

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-9-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by syberwolff

You are exactly right...

There is no need whatsoever to quote the post directly or even a post or two above yours...

It is wasted space and just makes the thread harder to read as well as putting undo strain on the servers.

Semper

new topics

top topics

join