It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Closest Look Ever at the Edge of a Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Astronomers have taken the closest look ever at the giant black hole in the center of the Milky Way. By combining telescopes in Hawaii, Arizona, and California, they detected structure at a tiny angular scale of 37 micro-arcseconds - the equivalent of a baseball seen on the surface of the moon, 240,000 miles distant. These observations are among the highest resolution ever done in astronomy.

I wonder if they can use this technique to detect more planets with potential conditions for life, outside of our solar system. I also wonder if this could be used to explore some of the anomalies that have been posted on ATS.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Wow the future in science looks very promising right now with the LHC hopefully going to find the Higgs Boson and now theyre combining telescopes but i wonder how far they could actually get into space if they just get combining telescopes it would be amazing.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Do you have a source link aswell?

The image is not enough for me to see anything at all...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yes, here it is. If you're interested in science, it is a great website.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Nasa has been working for some time now on new space based observation posts like hubble in concept but much much more powerful and using an array of spacebased telescopes to take even more accurate measurements and should make the resolution of even hubble seem pale by comparison

planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov...

planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov...

top topics

join