It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officers in Oregon tourist's death may not be charged for 30 days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Officers in Oregon tourist's death may not be charged for 30 days

www.kgw.com

By PAT DOORIS and AP staff

KGW report on death in Mexican jail Six Mexican officers are under arrest after an Oregon tourist was found dead after being taken to a Mexican jail.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I see many threads here on how horrible US cops are, but never any other countries.

Here's a nice bedtime story. I wonder if anyone will be up in arms over this on ATS? Probably not.

www.kgw.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
One more reason for me to stay away from Meheekoe. Had experiences down their that I should have known better. The most corupt police I have ever dealed with, rights? what rights. Word of advise, if you go to tourist towns-Stay with other tourists and never venture out with out being able to speak spanish, and always have cash hidden to bribe your way out if something happens, Certain border towns are off limits to to Military and there is a reason for that too.

One more thing to add, is Mexico has nothing to offer that the US doesn't; so why bother going on vacation there...........just my opinion of coarse and that how I see it.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by 38181]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well, that kind of thing can happen anywhere in the world and happens in the U.S. more often than you think.

It's not smart to resist police anywhere - it matters not whether your in the wrong or right. When you're overpowered and outnumbered you have to remember there will be another day when you can turn the odds, if you shut up and stay alive.

Mexico is known for corrupt police. I remember going to Mexico many times when I lived in Southern California back in the early seventies and it was a rule that you carried certain items like cash & cigarettes (and a fish - cause we'd always go fishing there) for the purposes of paying the police if you got pulled over.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

This is a very sad story indeed. Obviously in no way am I siding with the police officers, however, in the year 2008 people should know better than to resist arrest by police, let alone the Mexican police. Resistance isn't going to get you anywhere but hurt or killed. You're already being arrested...just accept it and fight it at court. Which leads me to wonder if this guy was intoxicated or what?

Personally I think in the year 2008 people should know better than to travel to Mexico period. There are a few Canadians killed there every year yet they still buy up the tickets. I'm sure there are more than a few Americans killed every year. Why would people go to a place that is wellknown to be dangerous and corrupt just to save a few bucks on a vacation? It's insane.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
could the american toursit have behaved in an arrogant manner which made mexican police angry????

after all many americans are racist towards mexicans ,muslims and indians

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
How did the tourist die is it determined yet?
Many people die in jail.
And in the rest of the world every second.
Why is it such a big deal when someone dies, when it happens to all of us.
You are all going to die, I am going to die, what is the issue with the living and people who have died.

join