It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Programming Lessons Anyone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I was wondering if there'd be anyone on here interested in learning (basic) software development using free tools (Microsoft's C# stuff)? I've had a hankering to write up a few lessons, and instead of putting it on my blog I figured I'd put it here if anyone's interested -- better odds of someone reading them.

Would there be any takers, or would it just be taking up disk space on the intertubes?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hi,
I'd read them. Not sure I'd understand it, but I would sure try.

I just had some nice lessons on protecting my pc and making it run more efficient, it's got me wanting to learn more.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well, the "understand" it part would definitely be a point of posting them here -- it'd be a lot easier for questions and clarification.

We'd be definitely starting out as simple as possible, and if I get too far ahead of the game, I can always slow down or backtrack -- it's not like it's a college course with a schedule or anything

It won't be quite in the same vein as making your pc more efficient -- it'd be using a Microsoft product, which generally has the opposite effect...

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MCory1

I would love it if you could do this. I have tried my hand at various programming in the past (all pretty basic stuff) but Ive forgotten a lot of it, though Ive likewise also had a hankering to take it up again.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Okay, two positive replies within an hour; that's good enough for me

Let me see what I can come up with over the next couple of days.

If anyone has any suggestions or questions at all, please feel free to post them.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MCory1

Most excellent ***rubs hands gleefully***

If I think of anything before your first 'lesson' I'll let you know, meanwhile I'll keep you on my list and check back regularly

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sounds good -- I'll post in this thread when the first one is up, just in case it slips under the radar.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Okay, first one is up here for anyone who's interested.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Alright, second one is ready to go here. This one's quite a bit longer, and it might be a bit confusing. I said so a couple of times in the post, but just to reiterate: don't be afraid to ask questions.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MCory1

Cheers mate, I'll take a look at them in the morning, a little late here and I couldn't take it all in. Can't wait though

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Sounds good -- no rush. They'll be here whenever (unless the mods really don't like C#, that is
).

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Bump, because I want to read this later and because I can see a lot of time went into it. Thanks McCory!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You're quite welcome samureyed. And as far as the time goes, at least it makes me look like I'm working

Number three is up for anyone interested.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Alright, we've got number four on the boards now, available here.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Wow! Already have 4 up eh? My apologies I have not had time to have a look yet, I had some family turn up unexpectedly and they have sucked my life away for the last day
Anyways, Ill have a look now and then sit down tomorrow and begin!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
No worries Kryties. I'm actually done with the beginner stuff for now, so I'm just waiting to give people a chance to digest it (as well as work up the nerve for the intermediate level stuff).

I kinda feel like I might've gone a bit too fast through it -- please let me know if there was anything that seemed like it should've gotten more attention; whether I'm a good coder or not, my teaching abilities have yet to be proven.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I would need them I am studying c#, just explain about delegates and interfaces in C#, i have my exams on saturday, help me soon.

I actually logged on to get some help about that and I saw you thread, what a great coincidence.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by peacejet]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
awesome effort...

just want to add that these tutorials are very mundane without syntax color coding. Perhaps posting these somewhere outside of ATS would be better?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
peacejet -- glad they're coming in handy, and thanks for the comments on the threads: you raised some good points.

scientist -- thanks, and I agree -- they would look better with syntax highlighting. If the powers-that-be around here don't have a problem with it, I might work on cross-posting these at my blog (I've done quite a few programming articles there, most with syntax highlighting -- not necessarily perfect, but it gets the job done).

The main reason I wanted to post these at ATS (well, BTS) was mainly because there's people here it might help. Most other places -- even my blog -- are mostly geared towards developers who at least know the basics, if not more advanced stuff. So I would like to keep some kind of copy of them here at least

top topics

<<   2 >>

join