It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin fomenting Anit-Americanism to solidify power?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Here's a new theory.

Putin's attack on Georgia, it's continued sabre-rattling against the West and its recent issuing of its own Truman Doctorine are all policy proceedures aimed at solidifying Putin's presidential successor and his party in power.

Ac cording to this paper, Putin is recreating a hybrid Soviet and Tsarist state simply to keep himself in power.

Thus the regime has systematically launched a massive anti-American propaganda campaign at home along the lines outlined by Markov. For example, Vladimir Shlapentokh charges that an essential component of the Kremlin’s ideological campaign to maintain the Putin regime in power and extend it (albeit under new leadership) past the elections of 2008 is anti-Americanism.

The core of the Kremlin’s ideological strategy is to convince the public that any revolution in Russia will be sponsored by the United States. Putin is presented as a bulwark of Russian patriotism, as the single leader able to confront America’s intervention in Russian domestic life and protect what is left of the imperial heritage. This propaganda is addressed mostly to the elites particularly elites in the military and FSB) who sizzle with hatred and envy of America.[8]

Interesting, the paper ultimately concludes that Russia is doomed to another bout of internal strife, as all Russian leaders demonized America at some point to hide the problems internally.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I really think America is doing enough to demonise itself let alone Putin feeling the need to add to it. And even if he did he would simply be fanning the self-lit flames.

I'm not convinced sorry

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
it seems much more credible to me that putin is actually a rabid anti-american, his power, and that of his parties, seems, to me, to be pretty cemented. i think he's finally had enough of sitting back and letting the states do as they wish in his back yard.

EDIT: oh yeah, he's probably also noticed the fact that the US is all tied up in the ME and that there's a lack of hunger for another military stand off among the american population.

he's exploiting american weakness to exert pressure.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by pieman]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I don't think this is as much to do with Putin being anti-American (I'm sure he is) as it is to do with countering US moves in his neighborhood. We are aggressively at work in the region trying to cement deals that will allow us to have better control on the energy supply. Putin doesn't want that (who would?) and is putting his foot down so to speak.

Here is a great article that provides another perspective on the current Russian-US chess game.

Russia and the US

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
I don't think this is as much to do with Putin being anti-American (I'm sure he is) ...

Considering that the United States has either virtually ignored Russia or treated it like crap over the last 10-15 years what would you expect?

Originally posted by jtma508 ... countering US moves in his neighborhood. We are aggressively at work in the region trying to cement deals that will allow us to have better control on the energy supply. Putin doesn't want that (who would?) and is putting his foot down so to speak.

Well it is no secret in Europe that the United States has had an eye on Iranian petroleum assets for decades, along with the petroleum assets in the Caususes and elswhere inside Russia's sphere of influence. Greedy American Oil interests along with Isreali world domination (Zionists) interests have united to create a world perpetually at war, and American children will pay the price because both McInsain and Whorbama will approve an expanded military draft.

Cementing Deals? Try formenting strategic and localized insurgency, sabotage, third-party military actions, assasination, civilian killings, rape, torture, the list goes on ... cementing deals alright, have you any idea what the new improved American Corporate/Political/Military machine is really doing overseas?

new topics

top topics

join