It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain and Ageism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
There's so much conjecture on this board, and in the media about John McCain's age, and whether he's fit to run for the Presidency of the United States. There's constant insinuations that he's senile, that he has alzheimer's, that he's only a couple of heart beats away from dying, etc. It's shameful to see a person ridiculed and marginalized simply because of their age.

Youth provides no immunity from death. If you live a high risk lifestyle such as abusing drugs or engaging in risky sexual behavior, you lifespan is likewise shortened.

Is there a magic age when we are no longer considered useful, productive members of society? There are millions of Americans today that are in their 60's or 70's, that have no choice but to work just to buy food, medications, and put a roof over there heads. Many of these senior citizens are your grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, and relatives. Do you feel they no longer have anything worthwhile to contribute, or that their just a heartbeat or two away from meeting their maker?

Joe Biden is John McCain's junior by a mere seven years. He's also had surgery for two previous brain aneurysms that are typically lethal. Why is there no outcry about his age by the Democrats?

If I were McCain, I'd make a public charge of ageism by the Obama campaign. I'd appeal to AARP for their support. The elderly constitute one of the largest voting populations in the country. I wonder how they would vote if this blatant discrimination by the Democratic party were brought to their full attention?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
If I were McCain, I'd make a public charge of ageism by the Obama campaign.

And what would you use for proof or evidence that the Obama Campaign is practicing ageism? The Obama Campaign has done NOTHING to criticize McCain's age.

This is the public's concern. The people are raising this issue. And rightly so. McCain SHOWS his age. Physically, mentally and emotionally. And he's had cancer 4 times. We, the people, are allowed to take that into consideration for this most important assignment. Especially knowing that if he dies in office, he has chosen a completely inexperienced and extremist person to take his place.

Interesting how conservatives are notoriously against Affirmative Action until it comes to be to their advantage and then they're ready to sue at the drop of a hat.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Many elderly people are required to provide proof of physical health and mental clarity in order to re-new their driver's licenses. As McCain will be steering our Economy, our Foreign Diplomacy and our Armed Forces, I'd just as soon have him do the same.

The reality is that, unlike other protected classes, age sometimes produces physical and mental limitations. It is his own gaffes, bizarre jokes, inappropriate interview responses and medical history which have raised the concern.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I'd really like to know when people are going to stop complaining about the people and get to the issues.

Are we going to goto the elections complaining about age, sex, race, and anything else we can think of to avoid the real issues?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The only problem I see with his age is that president of the U.S. is probably the most stressful job in the country. Look at a picture of George W. Bush from 2000 and then in 2001 and you will see his hair turned gray very quickly over the course of his first year as president. Living a stressful life will cause you to age faster.

As long as McCain has approval from a Doctor that he's fit for a stressful job then his age isn't a problem for me.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by curiousbeliever]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

It's a good question, maybe you should address it to half of the OP authors in the Decision 2008 forum who have only been members since the primaries wrapped up.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
McCain, just like all candidates was required to pass a physical, and did so with flying colors. He had a few bouts skin cancer in the past, but we all know somebody who has had skin tumors removed. Regan, Clinton, Nixon, and G.W. Bush all had skin cancer, and it didn't effect their job performance or health at all.

Being the President is a stressful job and does take a toll, but have you noticed how gray and washed out Obama is already looking? He even commented on his hair turning gray during a recent interview. If he's stressed out now, and suffering campaign trail fatigue, what's going to happen when he has some real pressure put on him if he's elected? His lack of experience will make a bad situation even worse.

I really hope the senior segment of the population is taking note, and vote according. Our society sems to be the only one that mocks our elders rather than value their past accomplishments and infinite well of wisdom.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

I'd really like to know when people are going to stop complaining about the people and get to the issues.

i'd like to know when the people who are complaining about there being no discussion of issues in this forum are going to start replying to the threads that are created discussing issues

the threads die

either contribute to them, or stop your complaining!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Especially knowing that if he dies in office, he has chosen a completely inexperienced and extremist person to take his place.

Interesting how conservatives are notoriously against Affirmative Action until it comes to be to their advantage and then they're ready to sue at the drop of a hat.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

An Obama supporter charging the R VP candidate with lack of experience? Come on, BH, you must be joking. I think this is one of the main reasons McCain chose Palin - if Democrats call her experience into question they look like ridiculous hypocrites.

Besides this, I think you have Affirmative Action confused with Equal Opportunity. No one except people who actually are racists/sexists/ageists/etc are against Equal Opportunity for everyone qualified. Conservatives included want everyone to have a fair shot at any job, position, home, or whatever they want to do. Affirmative Action is the opposite of Equal Opportunity because it gives one sex or several races, or even one economic group advantage over another. It is the opposite of Equality and Fairness. So as a subscriber to common sense I would encourage everyone to fight discrimination, including old white men, and I would encourage everyone to vote to have AA dismantled as an unfair hurdle to people otherwise qualified. Besides that, AA isn't to anyone's advantage here, as there isn't a quota for filling the presidency.

Although it is humiliating, McCain should have submitted to alzheimer's testing months ago so Republicans could have picked a different candidate if he were unfit for the job. As for being out of touch, it seems like this is a symptom of being in Washington rather than age. Not trying to be glib, just saying that old and young politicians alike exhibit this poor grasp on the day to day realities of life for most Americans.

top topics

join