It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are "cults" dying?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
There were a ton of tiny cults in the 70s and 80s...Jim Jones, Charles Manson's Family, David Koresh, etc.

Now...not so many, it seems. You barely ever hear of them.

Sure there are a few big ones left...Scientology comes to mind...but it seems that the "cult phenomenon" is a becoming thing of the past.

Or am I wrong here?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think the Charles Manson thing ruined it for everybody. I dont think there are as many cults in North America as there once was. And if there are there, they are most likely Bohemian Grove, Skull and Bones, and Satanic Cults. No more of that drink the punch stuff.

I bet theres still a few cults in Europe however. I was watching a documentary on Death Medal, and they said there were Death Medal groups that burnt churches in Norway. Once again not exactly the kind of cult that takes you to other planets but its a group doing bizarre things.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Christianity is a cult that seems to be dying out
thank god for that then

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
cults rely on personality manipulation to control their followers, this manipulation relies in turn on the victims ignorance to the manipulation, the mass of attention focused on cults means people are more aware of the danger and this has led to a demise in a cults ability to attract recruits.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hey moocowman, could you elaborate on your theory, kinda show that you aren't just letting your knowledge get clouded by your crooked and cracked opinion?

As it seems to me, wouldn't aethism be more of a cult than Christianity, the biggest trick pulled is the illusion that there is no god

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Probably still are several cults, but they're much less visual now. Scientology's a good example of a cult, and I'm sure there's a few others as well.
Most likely, while they've not exactly gone underground, they make an effort not to attract attention.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
cults rely on personality manipulation to control their followers, this manipulation relies in turn on the victims ignorance to the manipulation, the mass of attention focused on cults means people are more aware of the danger and this has led to a demise in a cults ability to attract recruits.

Yep.. you just described organized religion to a tea...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by screamo
Hey moocowman, could you elaborate on your theory, kinda show that you aren't just letting your knowledge get clouded by your crooked and cracked opinion?

As it seems to me, wouldn't aethism be more of a cult than Christianity, the biggest trick pulled is the illusion that there is no god

Dude did you miss the bit where i thanked god ?

Did I at anytime say I was an atheist ?

As the previous poster gave a breif description of a cult that will save me some typing.

I did use the word seems , so obviously something appears in a certain way to me .
In this case christianity seems to meet the criteria of a cult and I for one will be glad to say ta ta should cults in genral be on their way out including christianity.

I'm sure you would look forward to the demise of atheism, and I respect your beliefs, however given the gradual demise of religions your position would seem futile.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A Course In Miracles is a cult if you ask me.

Looking for spiritual understanding a while back I bought the book on a auction site for $30.
Before reading the book I researched the authors. Helen Shcucman denied that pain existed, yet spent the last two years of her life in a severe psychotic depression, before dying of cancer. The other guy William Thetford was high up in both the MANHATTAN PROJECT and MKULTRA.
Basically you are expexted to take spiritual advise from someone who is CRAZY, and someone else who is EVIL.
I resold the book on the very same website, I mentioned all the above facts. I sold the book for $50. Many people defended ACIM, talking a load of anti-ego psycho bable. (WTF is wrong with the ego?everyone needs one right?). A few admitted they were following ACIM but in light of the new info had decided to quit.

All in all I got $20 profit and, I think there is a lesson in the experience.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

You are wrong. The negitive way you used the term "Cults", such cults are still relivant, spawning and spralling all around. Need proof? Here you go.

This creature would like to teach you how all people are actually gods and she's the queen bee god. If you look through her videos she thanks "god" for bring her more money so she doesn't have to work. She wants people to come to her "workshop".

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Positive Thinking Garners Wealth.....
Oprah Winfrey...............................
Rapture........................................

just a few examples of cult thinking

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well I don't know if Cults are dying out... I think the Country's mindset was different back then. Today, especially since the 80's, we just seem to have different values it seems.

like in the 60's and 70's it was peace, love, drugs, and rock n' roll. There was a huge sudden boom in New Age teachings and principals. I think all that kind of lead a few to try some things that were a little unorthodox, and I don't think there is really anythig wrong with that. The people were simply fooled into something I'm sure they wouldn't have been involved in if they were perhaps... I don't know... looking from a different perspective?

In the current day and age I think we've matured... and New Age things are still big, as they probably are expected to be, but I think in a way we're more aware of the dangers those that will prey on the unwatchful...

I mean... I don't know for sure. That's just my two cents on the subject.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by the_watcher]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yes, but they will make a comeback...

I have not done the research, but my opinion is that cults are cyclical...and the main variable that determines the number present in a society or world populace is the PTB and the policies they implement.

And to get back to Scientology, the guy that created it had quite the quote before hand, "If you want to be rich, invent a religion." (cult can be substituted-in at anytime...) L. Motherf'n Ron Hubbard, 1950-something

And apparently, several people knew this before him...unfortunately several times over.

[edit on 9/2/2008 by chapter29]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by StopComplaining
I resold the book on the very same website, I mentioned all the above facts. I sold the book for $50. Many people defended ACIM, talking a load of anti-ego psycho bable. (WTF is wrong with the ego?everyone needs one right?). A few admitted they were following ACIM but in light of the new info had decided to quit.

Seriously, what the hell is with this New Age anti-ego obsession? The maxim was always "know thyself," not "kill yourself."

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I don't ever see the possibility of cults dying mainly because its just a another way for an evil ring of crooks to blow a bridge. Cults can range from many different things..

If you ask me I think they're still here, just in different forms. Take places that are isolated like Lost Hills ca. I've heard of sherriffs warning people who were parked on the side of the roads. Apparently there's alotta 'pow wow' sorta speak in those hillsides.

Then you have secret societies, which are tied to cults as well. Eastern star signs contamninate most cities in ca its horrible.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I have always wanted to start a cult. It amaze me to see some of the crazy things that people have been willing to follow. I mean even small cults of just a hanful of people, to get anyone to buy into some of this crazy stuff. I mean, you can control whom you get to have sex with, how much money they give you, and all you have to do, is be full of crap all the time.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I hope not - things would be so dull without cults :->

Octopussassin
www.nuganhand.wordpress.com

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Look at all the non-denominational churches around (like the one by the unspeakable Phelps) -- cults are still with us, but they've wrapped themselves up in the Bible and announced they are Christian.

Any attack on little churches that decide to have their own theology instead of toeing the line of the original faction's theology are truly cults. But they've simply become more acceptable now.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
by that rationale any of the protestant churches would be deemed cults. christianity as a whole is a cult aswell, as is islam, i'll skip to the chase, all religion is a cult!?!

a cult, in the manson/waco sense of the word, with the communal living and the devotion to the charismatic leader and all that, is a heck of a lot less common. the whole "i've a direct line to god, now gimme a dollar" type of affair is flourishing but i think it deserves separate consideration. the MO is different if no less insidious.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by pieman]

[edit on 3-9-2008 by pieman]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I don't know if cults are dying out. You just don't hear about them until something insane happens. The Manson cult would have gone completely had they not started murdering people. The Hale-Bop cult would have remained invisible had they not all commited suicide, etc. It's a big planet and lots of room for mentally unsound people to band together in relative obscurity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join