It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is literacy as undervalued as it is here in the US?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
One observation:

I have noticed there are at least two methods of learning. I learn visually. I have to read it or see it. I have a terrible time with languages because I literally can not hear the differences between some sounds. I can not learn from any type of audio tapes and do not do well with a straight lecture. My husband is the opposite and learns best thru audio.

If you have kids keep this in mind. Especially if they have learning problems.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

This is true. I do not have kids but I am aware that there are people that are learners that learn better from hearing people talk than from reading... and there are visual learners and text-learners.

Just I really would wish more people would try to in some way or another read books. Whether that means read the book itself, or, listen to an audiobook, I feel that if the mass populous of America shifts towards the television and movies that they will be under the illusion that they understand more than they think they know. And they will get a lot of misinformation from television and movies too.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
I think the whole moving pictures thing that has been so big in the states is the downfall of the written word as it became easy to seem informed when a person just watched TV for their information.

Turning on the TV or PlayStation requires no effort and is instantly gratifying.
Reading on the other hand requires effort and some patience.
I think that's the underlying cause. Besides, in urban youth culture literacy isn't a priority or viewed as "cool."
Hey! Yo, yo! Wassup my boy? You be chillin' with me n' my homies? Now that is seen as cool.
The rest is selfexplanatory...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by civilized mammal

That's an oversimplifcation of the truth. People play videogames and watch movies because that's entertainment. I think what you're getting at is the idea that people need to be persuaded that reading can be educational and for entertainment at the same time. And I don't understand why reading has a nerdy stigma myself. I guess that means I'm a nerd because of how much I read.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join