It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is literacy as undervalued as it is here in the US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
A lot of people nowadays don't even care that much for literacy. They care more about things like math, science, or some technical skill. For me-- literacy is very important-- and I fail to see why there are people out here that seem to not realize its importance. I'm sure there are jobs that people can do that literacy isn't required-- but-- people should be able to read-- and I'm shocked that not as many people are reading books as they should. Are there any causes for this drop of literacy? TV Mindwashing? What could be the source of it? Too much video games? Too many cell-phones?

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Reading promotes having the capacity of analyzing text, making your own opinions, and a lot of things other "mental" disciplines like math don't.
This is not just in the US, it's a worldwide trend.
The people in control need stupider masses that wouldn't be intellectually able to challenge them or think for themselves. So this trend will keep going on.

Aside from that, it really doesn't pay much to have a degree on this field, but that's no excuse for not reading.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Literacy has been deliberately undervalued in our perception, because it's easier to control the masses who rely only on MSM for their view of the Universe.

When people can read and write, ideas are spread. And many ideas are counter to mass control.

I have been a bit disturbed even here by (in particular) the number of things that own things...as in "I saw the paper's." I ask... The paper's what? (An apostrophy almost always denotes possession!)

Ok, a pet peeve of mine, I admit, but it does tie in with literacy.

Anyway, the move to remove literacy is a deliberate move.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
You guys beat me to it. Education is dangerous in slaves. The NWO wants to cut off the feet of the intellectual giants at a young age. Just watch Homeschooling will be banned shortly "for the good of the children" because Homeschoolers do not get the correct indoctrination.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
Literacy has been deliberately undervalued in our perception, because it's easier to control the masses who rely only on MSM for their view of the Universe.

When people can read and write, ideas are spread. And many ideas are counter to mass control.

I have been a bit disturbed even here by (in particular) the number of things that own things...as in "I saw the paper's." I ask... The paper's what? (An apostrophy almost always denotes possession!)

Ok, a pet peeve of mine, I admit, but it does tie in with literacy.

Anyway, the move to remove literacy is a deliberate move.

well, i understand, but i don't totally agree. I have seen people make very good points on here only to get ripped apart for grammer, which is nonsense. Your use of grammer does not determine your capacity for other subjects. I BARELY squeeked by in school and college with hrammer, i have no patience for it, but reading is my favorite subject. I read at least 1 novel a week, usually 3; so it's not always a scale to judge something by.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
well, i understand, but i don't totally agree. I have seen people make very good points on here only to get ripped apart for grammer, which is nonsense. Your use of grammer does not determine your capacity for other subjects. I BARELY squeeked by in school and college with hrammer, i have no patience for it, but reading is my favorite subject. I read at least 1 novel a week, usually 3; so it's not always a scale to judge something by.

I do not mean to suggest that grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax are requirements of communicating a good thought. I merely was suggesting that it is a sign of a slipping literacy that so incredibly many misuse the apostrophe.

I agree with you that, individually, a given issue in those skills is not indicative of anything. It's the big picture I was addressing.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

It is not so much grammar and spelling, as the ability to read that is critical. If you can read you can learn just about anything. Writing ability is needed to get your idea across to others without difficultly, but that can be improved by reading.(and lots of writing practice)

It is not so much grammar and spelling, as the ability to read that is critical. If you can read you can learn just about anything. Writing ability is needed to get your idea across to others without difficultly, but that can be improved by reading.(and lots of practice)

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
A lot of people nowadays don't even care that much for literacy. They care more about things like math, science, or some technical skill. For me-- literacy is very important-- and I fail to see why there are people out here that seem to not realize its importance. I'm sure there are jobs that people can do that literacy isn't required-- but-- people should be able to read-- and I'm shocked that not as many people are reading books as they should. Are there any causes for this drop of literacy? TV Mindwashing? What could be the source of it? Too much video games? Too many cell-phones?

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Frankidealist35]

i think you've answered your own question with this post.

i am and have always been a novel reader and will instill this in my children if i have some one day. its important for parents to ensure their kids are reading novels instead of on the internet, playstations ect though because of our busy lifestyles, its easier for the parents to allow their children to do as they wish. many parents get enough # thrown at them with daily stresses, making children read is last on their minds. then they have to actually stop and 'sit' down with them hhhmmm dont think so.

you have obviously noticed programs like Big Brother and Idol becomming huge money makers over the years. people dont want to actually have to work for years on end to make $$ or become famous, they want overnight success which has bread the generation
'i want it now'. Evan if these people cant sing or act that well, they are marketable & thats enough.

just like literacy...it dosent matter in life if you cant read or write, you can get through on wit & looks alone, sad but true. people with great minds stimulate me, people with knowledge about things only derived from literature and life experiences though thats just me....some people would prefer an IT man who's clueles about life though drives a ferrari.

btw....its not just in the US that this is evident...its everywhere.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Simply , in the mind of many of my generation reading is not cool , it has nothing to do with playing videogames , hearing music ,etc , its simply not cool.
Its just alot more interesting to know what sports stars and movie stars do in their personal lives.
Most people dont even have a personal opinion that is not conditionated by the media nowadays.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by dracodie]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Simply , in the mind of many of my generation reading is not cool

True. I sometime think the negative attitude toward learning and reading was purposely encouraged. After all the controlled media determines what is "cool" If movie, music and sports idols played up reading and learning as "cool" and the way out of poverty I wonder what would have happened?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I think sports athletes already have gone out of their way to make reading seem cool. Take the NBA cares program for example. NBA athletes are reading to children. They get to see their idols and their idols read to them. How cool would that be for a child? I think reading is a skill a lot of people take for granted. Where do you think this stigma came from?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
A lot of people nowadays don't even care that much for literacy. They care more about things like math, science, or some technical skill.

I don't get it.

How many illiterate mathematicians, scientists or technicians do you know?

Can one excel in math, science or technology without being able to read or write?

Are you trying to compare a liberal arts education with a science education?

I'm all for a liberal arts education. I have one. I wish I were better at math and science because I'd make more money, but as it turned out, I'm more verbal than spatial, so I made the best of what I had.

There are cultures in our nation who don't put a high value on literacy, but they are the ones who are always screaming about being discriminated against and about how all their young men are in prison, have been to prison, or are doing their best to get sent to prison.

America does put a high value on literacy, but the typical definition of literacy is not so narrow as yours seems to be.

[edit on 2008/9/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

While most of America does place a lot of value on literacy I don't think they place enough value on literacy as they should. I'm talking about a different kind of literacy. You get different literacies. You get literacy from school. Literacy from work. But the kind of literacy I'm talking about is literacy from reading. I'm talking about reading outside of school. The fact is that people are reading less and less. Few people read the newspapers these days, and, to be honest, people spend like 4 hours watching television, so they're like mentally dumbing themselves down-- they place more importance on watching television than reading. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clearer earlier.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well, I guess I understand what you mean, but I rarely crack a book anymore or read a newspaper, either.

I do read copious amounts of material on the internet though.

I don't think it's really fair to dismiss the fact that today the average person can access such a broad range of information with the click of a mouse, when in the olden days prior to the internet, you couldn't get your hands on that much information with a truck load of books.

The internet rarely offers the kind of depth that books and courses can offer, but it's a resource that outstrips anything that has ever existed in the past and can put people from a broad range of backgrounds on a more equal footing.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I ascribe, at least a little, to the ideas of John Taylor Gatto that modern industrial-era educational systems are set up primarily to ensure a compliant citizenry and a steady source of obediant factory workers. Such a populace would be required to have the basic reading/writing/mathematical skills, but would have to be conditioned to believe that too much emphasis on intellectual pursuits (freedom of thought) is an evil thing.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Part of the purpose of public education is to socialize children to become productive members of society. It takes more than just an educational system to do that and it is obvious to anyone that too many parents don't do their part.

It is true that many school students will take what they've learned in school and become factory workers, God knows that we need them, but others will become professionals, business owners, and some will become leaders in the military and in politics.

You can frame all that in anyway you like, but the process, however flawed, is a necessary one to ensure a free and open society.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Oh I absolutely agree that the goal of educating the general population is a necessary and extremely desirable goal for our society. I only have disagreements with what and how children are taught. One of my sons is extremely bright, especially mathematically, but he does not work quickly. His homework however, has been to endlessly write his "times tables", in spite of the fact that he is years beyond that in ability. The only thing he learns from such an activity is that school is stupid and boring and that he should hate it. If I had to do work like that I would hate it too.

It's no wonder our country does not value literacy. Our children spend all of their early years being taught that education is some horrible and irrational punishment meted out by adults.

By the way, I was in no way meaning to cast aspersions of any sort on factory workers. I actually consider their jobs morally superior to my own, because at least they produce something. I just sit in endless meetings and explain to dimwitted managers technological things they do not really need to know or understand.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Hmmm I think its about hobbies. So many do read books and many more than that doesn't. I personally don't like to read. I like to see Videos of the material I am supposed to read rather than reading it. It bores me!!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think the whole moving pictures thing that has been so big in the states is the downfall of the written word as it became easy to seem informed when a person just watched TV for their information.

I know that we have fallen into worse and worse political situations as a result of this mind numbing TV nonsense because so few people actually read enough to know enough to resist the idiotic situations we are in. You only have to fool 51% of the people 100% of the time to ruin a republic that has decayed into a democracy.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by total_slacker

Gifted children are disadvantaged when they are forced to learn in an environment more suited to their more normal cohorts. That's not necessarily an indictment of the the way normal kids are taught, but of a system that fails to meet the needs of kids whose abilities are above others.

I hope you can find a suitable environment for your child.

I'd like to say, though, that while I didn't like the mind-numbing drills of my early education, the lessons learned from such a process benefited me long after I may have forgotten the content.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join