It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did GOP slow down convention today to dump Palin ad pick new VP?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Did Republicans slow down Convention Today to get ready for Palin to step down and choose new VP? Granted it did not hurt that they were able to dump the Bush and Cheney speeches, too.

I would not be surprised if Palin gracefully bows out of the race Tuesday Morning and John McCain will be forced to choose new VP.

I think Palin's family values will be under attack too much this week to make her a valid candidate. To know your teenage daughter is pregnant and to run for VP seems to put work before family. How could a mother do that to her daughter, who will be under embarrassing scrutiny? Many mothers will be asking that question, others will be asking what kind of leadership does she have if she can not better guide her own family from this kind of mistake.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

This has got to be planned out. There is no way McCain did not know about all of this stuff.

This is about standing by your family no matter what. Pro Life stuff no matter what.

That's just a gut feeling. These guys behind the curtain know everything.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Man, I was all over Palin earlier, but I was completely disregarding my own words.
This is actually a good move on the GOP's part, but lets see through this for what it really is. This entire thing is a calculated GOP move. We are being led down the road of voting with our hearts rather with our minds. Is Palin too inexperienced, is she a bad mother? Is Barrack a Muslim, does HE have enough experience. It is as if McCain and Biden aren't even running any more and people are not being given the chance to debate the issues. This is how they want it!

Eh, I'm about fed completely up with this election. Please, please, please focus on what is important. Palin will not be dropping out. This is going just as planned.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
I think Palin's family values will be under attack too much this week to make her a valid candidate. To know your teenage daughter is pregnant and to run for VP seems to put work before family. How could a mother do that to her daughter, who will be under embarrassing scrutiny? Many mothers will be asking that question, others will be asking what kind of leadership does she have if she can not better guide her own family from this kind of mistake.

No, I think you have this completely ass-backwards.

To know your teenage daughter is pregnant and go to work is something millions of women do everyday in the U.S. Big deal. That's life. To suggest that Gov. Palin cannot serve the country because her daughter is pregnant is idiotic. Teens get pregnant everyday and their parents still go to work.

And nobody is going to be questioning Gov. Palin's leadership because her teen daughter had sex and got pregnant. Again, this happens to families everyday all across the country. It's been going on for thousands of years.

To even attempt to use this for political fodder is foolish, and will backfire. The Dems spent the entire convention trying to convince America that Barack, Michelle, and their kids were just like any other family.

So are the Palins. To blow this up into more than it is isn't going to do anything to help Obama.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If Palin were to step down McCain might as well fold his tent and give the nomination to Romney. It would be utterly disastrous. They're in it for the long haul, no matter the outfall that may or may not occur.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Agreed completely. The average voter is going to look at this and think, you know what, I know someone who has been in that exact situation. I know a few myself. How can they pass judgement on Sarah Palin or her daughter? They'd be passing judgement on themselves, their own families or their own friends who have found themselves in the same situation. And lets not forget something: the Palin family looks an awful lot like the neighbors down the street for a lot of middle and working class families in the US. They can relate to and identify with them.

Its not going to happen.

The truth of the matter is that the conservative community is rallying around the Palins tonight. She will not be replaced. In fact, if she is, I can guarantee you that McCain will alienate his base and he will lose this election.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Why should Plain step down? Has her daughter done something illegal? The age of consent in Alaska is 16.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

To know your teenage daughter is pregnant and to run for VP seems to put work before family. How could a mother do that to her daughter, who will be under embarrassing scrutiny? Many mothers will be asking that question, others will be asking what kind of leadership does she have if she can not better guide her own family from this kind of mistake

Does this standard apply to male candidates also? I guess while she is at it she should just quit her job as Governor and get back in the the kitchen.

Personally, I think other mothers should worry about what their own kids are doing before they find themselves in a similar or worse scenario.

You can guide your kids with the best of intent that doesn't mean they won't make mistakes.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I agree with the thought that there are many mothers out there with teenage daughters who are pregnant, and that is life. However, I worry about this situation and question (if this were my daughter) would I want her to deal with this type of attention--all of America is watching now.

Also, I have to admit that deep down, I do question Palin as a mother. I know teenage pregnancy happens to good families and you can't blame the parents because the girl had sex...I know this, but I can help but to have doubt.

I do question her priorities on two accounts: How could this happen to her family, and how could she allow herself to disengage even more by campaigning? This young woman needs her mother...not to be in the spotlight to be judged like this.

As I said, I want to feel that this is okay. It's life. But, I cannot deny those reservations that I have. People may "say" they understand, but I wonder if deep down they judge....even just a little?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pamie
reply to post by jamie83

how could she allow herself to disengage even more by campaigning? This young woman needs her mother...not to be in the spotlight to be judged like this.

As I said, I want to feel that this is okay. It's life. But, I cannot deny those reservations that I have. People may "say" they understand, but I wonder if deep down they judge....even just a little?

If I were Palin and my *teenage daughter were pregnant I would have declined the VP spot; Likely with many of the same reservations as you.

I don't think that pro-life people would be impressed either. Sure, you're daughter isn't *aborting the baby but, like you said, "Where do you plan on being Mrs. Palin?". Louisiana didn't choose the Pro-life slate, they chose the "Pro-life, Pro-family" slate. That doesn't sound Pro-family to me.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Are you insane?
bow out?

she has every conservative in the nation in love with her.
she is the reason McCain wll be president.

you libs are really full of yourselves and totally out of touch with reality.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Palins daughter being pregnant will blow the abstinence argument all to shreds. Teaching abstinence doesn't work, Palin is proof.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

I am not a liberal.

I was thrilled when I heard Palin was the choice. But not anymore.

I am a catholic, pro-life conservative. I teach my children the difference between lust and love. I teach them they are free to choose. I teach them to consider the consequences of choosing lust and living a life out of order.
If you live out of order you cause a chaotic chain of problems. Lust is impatient and selfish.

But I hope my children will choose Love-which is patient. If you use wisdom and strength of character you can control yourself and keep your goals ahead of you. Yes, if you live your life in a intelligent and orderly way: education before dating, marriage before children, you will have the building blocks to a stable and happy family.

This is what I consider common sense wisdom, which I expect in my national leaders.

I also love politics and have considered running for office. If this happened to my family, I would step down, so as to protect my daughter. I do not want to live in an America where it is ok to have babies out of marriage, look, everybody's doing it. No! Everybody does not do it!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes this is a standard for women. Generally speaking, in a best case scenario, it is the mother who teaches these day to day survival skills to their children. We do not hold the men to the same account, because we assume their wives will take care of it.

The role of mother and father are not interchangeable, but complimentary.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I would agree with you to a certain point. But times are changing and dads are expected and some have to to assume the role of mothers as well. I try to lead my children right also but realize they are prone to make some of the same mistakes I made when I was their age. I don't see it as misguiding my family just because my daughter gets knocked up. A poor decision, bad mistake...yes, but not a stain on the way I guide my family.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Why should Plain step down? Has her daughter done something illegal? The age of consent in Alaska is 16.

A very important fact that many people either don't know or are overlooking on purpose.

Besides, how can you guarantee that your teenage daughter won't get pregnant these days? The only way is to keep them in a cage 24x7. You can do what you can to educate teens these days but ultimately they make their own decisions. Education is your most powerful weapon against teen pregnancy but it's not going to work every time.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
reply to post by Fathom

Lust is impatient and selfish.

But I hope my children will choose Love-which is patient.

Ummm, I guarantee you 100% that unless your children are not human, as teenagers they will experience lust in every form. It's called part of puberty, the adolescent stage of growing up, and it's a perfectly regular thing to happen.

To expect your children to cast aside lust as a teenager and opt for love - sounds like you're trying to live out of a fairy tale and setting unrealistic expectations.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
the Palin family looks an awful lot like the neighbors down the street for a lot of middle and working class families in the US. They can relate to and identify with them.

I think, ultimately, this will work against the GoP ticket. Would you want that neighbor down the street running the show? Sure she's cool. Invite her to the BBQ next weekend. But...

I don't know.

In fact, if she is [replaced], I can guarantee you that McCain will alienate his base and he will lose this election.

Would depend on her replacement, no? I doubt it will happen, but I doubt the base would be all that disappointed in a Huckabee-type. "She stepped down for the good of our party, she stepped down for the good of her family, she'll still play an integral part in my administration, yadda-yadda-yadda."

Could happen.

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
Palins daughter being pregnant will blow the abstinence argument all to shreds. Teaching abstinence doesn't work, Palin is proof.

Of course. Her daughter and her boyfriend didn't know how to use a condem/birth control because they weren't told about it in school. Poor Fundie Kids. If only they knew!

jamie83 is right: "To blow this up into more than it is isn't going to do anything to help Obama." This isn't shouldn't be an issue. It's somewhere on the border between silly and stupid. Surrounded by all kinds of sad. Looks like Obama took the high road, I imagine McCain will too and the ticket will stay as is.

But who knows anymore.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Rren

Sex-ed and condom education seems to be working really well in inner-city schools doesn't it? Teens will be teens. The fundies get to have the results of such actions be there to wipe their ass and dob the drool in their golden years. The others get to pay someone to do it.

(Inebriated post)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane

Sex-ed and condom education seems to be working really well in inner-city schools doesn't it?

Not sure. I'm not familiar with the statistics. I'd imagine if they're not getting educated at home (birds-n-bees style) or on the street through their friends that some information from anyone, anywhere would be better than nothing/good=positive correlation.

I'd say, talkin' out me arse, that it's highly unlikely this young woman didn't know how to protect herself or how to obtain and use birth control. I took issue with this being framed as "Teaching abstinence doesn't work, Palin is proof." It's just silly. In most humblest of humble opinion, of course.

Teens will be teens.

There ya go. Even the ones whom were taught better. # happens, welcome to life.

(Inebriated post)

That happens too... probably has more to do with teen pregnancy than any other issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join