It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Gustav not living up to hype?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Is it just me or was CNN,Fox and other news station just hyping up the Hurricane so people can be scared and whatnot. Because now the hurricane is category 2 and it is expected to decrease when it hit's land. Now the next time we do have a serious hurricane people won't evacuate and take it seriously.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This is when you can start to believe in the power of prayer and meditation. Really.

It is still a dangerous situation however the reality of it being as bad as they say is still not passed, this season is going to be very unpredictable.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I think it's right on the border between a cat 2 and cat 3, and might even be a cat 3 again now. Katrina was a cat 3 hurricane.

It's not over yet, in fact the dangerous part is only coming up now as the south east part of the storm starts to come ashore. The wind direction is about to start pushing water up against the seawalls.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxArMaGeDdOnxXx
Is it just me or was CNN,Fox and other news station just hyping up the Hurricane so people can be scared and whatnot. Because now the hurricane is category 2 and it is expected to decrease when it hit's land. Now the next time we do have a serious hurricane people won't evacuate and take it seriously.

You have to remember that weather can change extremely quicjly, particlarly within unpredictable weather systems such as hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons. And yes hurricanes and other tropical stomrs always die when they move over land, as the lose their source of energy (the warm ocean)

Just be thankful that it has weakend now and hopefully nobody becomes complacent

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I think it's right on the border between a cat 2 and cat 3, and might even be a cat 3 again now. Katrina was a cat 3 hurricane.

It's not over yet, in fact the dangerous part is only coming up now as the south east part of the storm starts to come ashore. The wind direction is about to start pushing water up against the seawalls.

Nope, it made landfall in Cocodrie, LA at 9:30 AM with max winds at 110, a cat 2 storm. I am in Baton Rouge, we have been getting wind gusts since about 7 AM. They are starting to pick up strength as the storm moves more NW, but so far it is not as bad as I originally expected.

This truly has been answered prayers. I promise you A LOT of people here in south LA we praying hard!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by quaple_pouge
Nope, it made landfall in Cocodrie, LA at 9:30 AM with max winds at 110, a cat 2 storm.

Category 2 is 96 - 110 mph. Category 3 is 111 - 130 mph, so 110 mph is right on the border. I hope everything continues to go well in LA.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Tit for tat, regardless...this storm did not make landfall as a strong cat 4 or cat 5 storm that all the "experts" claimed it would be. It never did regain strength, it just kept getting weaker even as it went thru the extremely warm waters of the Gulf. That is answered prayers!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
But now they are saying Hurricane Hannah (yes its now a hurricane) will hit the Southeastern US. And right behind it is TS Ike which is suppose to become a hurricane and it will also hit the Southeastern US. These things are lining up out there.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
They created them all with H.A.A.R.P..Then hyped them up to clear out the neighbourhood..so they could go in and steal all your guns and stashes while you're in shelters.
Then when they shelter you in the detainment camps they'll chip you all so all the remote sensors and cctv cameras can track you when you return.

That's what I heard from a friend of a guy I met in a bar who got an email from some kid in Mexico said..

Seriously,I'm glad it's not so bad as first thought. I wonder if the proximity of all those storms packed together has disrupted the wind flows..You know, The leading edge from one fighting against the trailing edge of the next.

Good news so far..Hope it stays favourable for everyone involved.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Looks as though Hanna though is aimed for the eastern part of Florida and across Alabama ... so a different area. The tropical depression they are tracking looks like it may aim towards where Gustav went.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well I'm thankful that Gustav didn't live up to the hype and I too believe if prayers can do anything, then perhaps indeed this would be an example of how it works.

and if it wasn't prayers, then perhaps government was successful in diminishing the intensity and stopping their enemies if this was Haarp/China/Russian/Big Oil storm as the conspiracy theory goes.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The majority of the damage from these storm is due to the rain and water. Time will tell what happens with the rain fall over the next few days.

New Orleans was destroyed by the water from topped and failing levees.

TS Allison in 2001 did a number in Houston due to hanging around 5 or 6 days and dropping 30+ inches of rain. Flood damage in many places.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I predicted that the storm would lose a lot of its strength because of its proximity to Hanna. If you view the image linked below you can see that in the top of the image a band of high level clouds is stretching all the way between them. During the night last night and the day before this connection was stronger than in this recent image. This image was made with NASA World Wind software using the latest NOAA weather satellite live feed.

Hanna is far enough away at this point to restrengthen but it still will not reach more than I think Cat 2 before making land fall.

[edit on 9/1/2008 by UFOTECH]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
These things are unpredictable. I do believe the weather news hyped it up (as they do EVERYTHING else), but it could just as well have gone on to be a Cat 4 and caused horrendous damage.

I'm so glad it wasn't worse.

And probe is right. The worse is after the storm hits and the levees are challenged b all the rain.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxArMaGeDdOnxXx

No it was living up to its hype, until they hit the brakes on the storm late yesterday afternoon. They spun Gustav up to a Cat 4 on Saturday to cause panic and watch the Sheople scatter like ants from New Orleans, and then they blasted it late Sunday afternoon and continually overnite to wind it back down to a relatively beningn Cat 2.

Or is it that you didn't know they engineered Gustav in the first place?
I thought everyone has finally figured that out, but I guess not.
If you don't know whats going on with weather engineering I suggest you consult Scott Stevens site at

weatherwars.info...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
so Michael Moore's so called anti republican hurricane lasses back on him and showing it to be more like an obama hurricane .. in first looking powerfull but when it comes to it losing its power and leading to almost nothing...

but that its is less powerfull is great news for the people in the area's affected by it. that was lucky it could have been much worse.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a hurricane living up to hype.

Certainly, the media are going in great guns to cover what could be a catastrophe and good ratings.

One must remember that the media was announcing that NO dodged a bullet during Katrina, even when the levees were breached, because all the reporters were down in the French Quarter, which is one of the highest areas in town.

By the way, a private levee has broken in Plaquemines Parish already and homes are threatened there and there are also potential problems in Jefferson Parish, so this thing isn't over yet.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It was a category 3 and no one knows or can predict if it will strengthen or weaken so the forecasters and media did what they should do and thats err on the side of caution and prevention-not hype.

Oh yeah- ALL hurricanes weaken after they get over land so that is nothing inherent about this storm.

Originally posted by xXxArMaGeDdOnxXx

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Not even going to address the lunatic claims that storms are man-made or can even be appreciably steered altered by human endeavor. The amount of energy in those things is simply too massive.

Good news so far for the gulf states. My main concern is since this one fizzled will people be as quick to heed evacuation orders as they did this time? One evacuation could put a strain on someone with limited means, if they have to do it again relatively soon would they?

Things could still go wrong though. As someone astutely mentioned, the day Katrina hit everyone was saying whew NOLA dodged a bullet. The system is still dumping a large amount of rain.

One thing that definately bears watching is the impact on oil infrastructure, an incredible percentage of the US oil infrastructure is in the area hit by Gustav.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Poster above, star.
Op star/flag.

reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Actually Katrina was borderline 4 and 5

It's landfall OFFICIAL windspeed was 150 MPH with higher gusts, just before landfall it was 160 MPH.

Gustav weakened a bit, down to a category 3, shortly after landfall it was down to category 2, another borderline incident. Hurricanes barrel around a lot down there, but don't like giving it their all down there it seems.

[Edit]
I want to clarify, it could've landfallen at Category 2, I was not awake to see landfall this morning, I'm waiting on the preliminaries now to find out. But those of you saying Cat 2, could very well be right.

[edit on 1.9.2008 by Shugo]

top topics

join