It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gustav Evacuees Get Barcode Bracelets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Gustav Evacuees Get Barcode Bracelets

www.infowars.com

Before leaving Beaumont, evacuees have already been entered into an intricate computer system that will keep track of them once they make it to Tyler.

“They already have a bracelet with a barcode,” Captain Akin said. “They will walk through the scanner and it automatically loads into the computers. We have a list of where they need to go.”

This system ensures that families can locate each other when coming to East Texas, Akin said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The entire article is worth reading, but I just showed the part that was rather interesting. People are getting barcode bracelets? Is this standard procedure, or is this the first time it is being implemented? I find it to be rather odd.

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well, they use barcode bracelets at the hospital to keep track of people.

It makes sense that they'd use them to organize an evacuation.

Barcodes always creep me out, but they're a practical necessity for keeping databases. :shrug:

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As long as they don't get the barcodes tattooed in their foreheads, I don't see any problem with this, considering the circumstances. Barcodes isn't always evil, but can be useful too.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
While I can understand the usefulness (and likely innocence) of these during this event, I can guarantee that the government is taking notes on how to efficiently process people for future use.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

That's what I'm thinking as well. If this "test" goes well, they might start to do more. If there were good people at the top running these things, I wouldn't mind barcodes, but knowing about our government and the people behind them...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Yet nobody does anything about the way things are handled in our present times.

Nobody rises up and says.. this needs to stop.

Whats that old saying.. "they have the guns, but we have the numbers"

Numbers don't mean anything when we don't band together.

Humanity is going to go out with a whimper, not with a fight which should be the case.

Instead we all, including me, just say how wrong it all is from the comforts of our chairs.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
While I do think in this case, using this to keep track of whos who so that people can more easily locate one another is a good idea.. I'm also certain the effectiveness of this as well as the precedent will go towards more general application of tracking humans. I think the more things like this are used with people, the more they will grow accustomed to being an easily identifiable, trackable number.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
Yet nobody does anything about the way things are handled in our present times.

Nobody rises up and says.. this needs to stop.

Whats that old saying.. "they have the guns, but we have the numbers"

Numbers don't mean anything when we don't band together.

Humanity is going to go out with a whimper, not with a fight which should be the case.

Instead we all, including me, just say how wrong it all is from the comforts of our chairs.

What does this have to do with anything? They are bar codes...on bracelets. You think that is somehow wrong and needs to stop? I think you're out of your mind, it's perfectly efficient. If the government wanted to track you in a not so innocent manner, they would just track your credit card transactions, or cell phone signal, then they don't have to spend a dime, they just need a warrant (or do they?).

[edit on 31-8-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Or perhaps, they want this method to fail. If the barcode situation ends up with family members losing each other or something worse, they might use that to suggest voluntary chip implants, especially for people in high risk areas, for future use. All it takes is one kid getting lost or 'misplaced.' Bracelets easily fall or are taken off.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Wolf321]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Nothing to do with anything.. look at the bigger picture.

Everything the Gov' does is a test for future applications.

We are all entitled to our own opinions.. you don't agree with mine, thats fine.

Doesn't bother me in the least.

By the way, I don't use credit cards.. and there are many more that practice the same thing... where is the efficiency in tracking them?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Doesn't bother me in the least.

By the way, I don't use credit cards.. and there are many more that practice the same thing... where is the efficiency in tracking them?

Then they would just track your bank transaction in general "Oh look he just withdrew $200 cash from a 5/3 bank in Milwaukee located on ____St"
Almost anything you do in this day and age leaves a digital paper trail. CD burners burn the burner ID number onto the disk, Printers print their printer ID on the back of paper...so many things to work with. No bar codes are needed, or chips for that matter. Commerce takes care of it.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Justice is not blind in Tyler. There is a statue of Lady Justice on the town square in front of the Court House of how things work. Her scale isn't balanced and she isn't blind folded. _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

No cell phone.

No bank withdrawals. My check gets cashed and the money stays with me. Hell, my IP location changes daily.

Yes I may be on "the grid".. but I guarantee I am less likely to be tracked as easily.

I am confident I am NOT the only one on this site that can say the same.

Sounds to me that you have given up, and you accept whatever fate others have planned for you.

But thanks for the try.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with barcodes by themselves. I just wish people weren't planning on using future technology based on this for bad reasons.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Not 100% sure if this is related, but it could be, I guess.

I just got back from a store delivery in MS. Of course, I was in the mass exodus coming up I-59. I stopped in Cuba AL (state line) at the rest area. It was being used for the FEMA buses.

As I pulled in, I was surprised to see a State Trooper set up along the entrance. He seemed to be checking the cars coming in. I stayed 8 hours (DOT minimum) and when I left, another Trooper was set up in the exact same location. Now, I suppose they might have been there for assistance (although I don't know what assistance they could offer outside of tickets or accident investigations), but this is the first time I have seen Alabama (or any other state) have a Trooper set up in a rest area for evacuees.

Anyway, just thought it bore mentioning. I didn't see any bracelets, but then again, I wasn't looking. I was busy trying to make sure the idiotic NO drivers didn't drive under my truck... those guys are total lunatics!

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
One of the things that amazes me about the critics of the Katrina aftermath is that they have such little knowledge of the events that made the event both a natural and a man-made disaster.

Not the least of the human errors made during Katrina is that in the evacuation, many family members were separated and in some of the worst cases, it was weeks before some families were reunited or even knew that their loved ones were safe.

This time, the evacuation, which last time was complete debacle, is organized far beyond what I would have ever expected after such a short period since the last event.

These bar coded wrist bands are what is going to help authorities keep tabs on who is going where and in the event of separated families, the members can be located in short order.

When Katrina hit, the law was that natural disasters were the responsibilities of local and regional jurisdictions, which involved federal agencies only after local authorities requested assistance.

Since Katrina, that has changed and it is obvious that the federal government is involved enough that they aren't going to let the locals screw up the process and then turn the finger of blame on the Washington.

[edit on 2008/9/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

No cell phone.

No bank withdrawals. My check gets cashed and the money stays with me. Hell, my IP location changes daily.

Yes I may be on "the grid".. but I guarantee I am less likely to be tracked as easily.

I am confident I am NOT the only one on this site that can say the same.

Sounds to me that you have given up, and you accept whatever fate others have planned for you.

But thanks for the try.

I'm willing to bet you are exaggerating, your IP could be static, doesn't matter, you may claim to make cash only transaction but a lot of services almost require a digital transaction. Your name is in a database somewhere, you have a membership somewhere, you have a mortgage or something. Unless you are like a Ted Kaczynski then tracking you wouldn't be too difficult for the government, if they had an initial reference point, especially since you likely have utilities.

If you don't have a digital footprint then a relative has a digital footprint, and they will know your vicinity. I don't "accept whatever fate others have planned" for me...I just know how much people BS when they are called out, and know how easily people are tracked in the digital age. I am also not scared of the government or schizophrenic about needless things. I know the government is overstepping it's power, but I fear more for it's overstepping causing a collapse of the great system that was backed by the U.S. Constitution than I am of a tyrannical government that is going to put it's people in "prison camps" or go completely "1984."

Anyhow, the government doesn't need to barcode or chip anything; anything new is just icing on the cake. Ever seen Minority Report? That's a good example of what I'm talking about, barcoding and chipping are old style thinking when it comes to a 1984ish society.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Or perhaps they made it extra unorganized during Katrina so that more people would be accepting of bracelets this time around. Is there any data of displacement during previous hurricanes?

[edit on 9/1/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I think this is a wonderful idea. During Katrina people lost track of their family members, scattered over several states making contact again was trifling, there are still dead who are not identified. This will be greatly helpful in the instance of evacuation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join