It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No hurricane threat to the Republican convention!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I cannot believe people are buying into this?! How the hell is Minnesota, the most inland state in North american?? Minnisota is over 2000 miles from New Orleans and it is smack bang in the middle of North america, how the heck can republicans claim this is some threat to the convention??

First they flip flop by choosing Palin, now their making the excuse that Gastuv may affect how the convention goes. I mean we all know the rightie convention is going to be crap but surely they could have come up with a better excuse? And guess what, Bush somehow cannot make it because of Gustav, i mean can you say "politican tactics"?

I mean are you serious? Is this the best excuse the Republicans can come with regarding their convention?!

What BS, I have never heard such a stupid excuse as this, when the heck did a hurricane hit any of the northern/western states?? If Gustav was to really make an impact to Minnesota that would make HALF OF AMERICA under threat.

Doesnt anybody find this an unbelievable excuse? That they might have problems at the convention because of hurrican Gustav and its threat the the northern most inland landlocked state in the Union, I mean seriously.

Can anybody here to go online and search for the last time a hurricane from the gulf of mexico ever made an impact on minnesota because I can seem to find anything in the history of these United states.

What BS coming from the GOP, I mean honestly now can you tell us the truth?

Surely there are people who can see this BS in this excuse...

Unbelievable

[edit on 31-8-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
well I think it's just because they don't want to be partying and spinning while there is an actual disaster going on. Those affected might not feel so kindly towards politicians who were having fun someplace far from the danger while they suffered.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
LOL..

The problem is they cannot have a positive convention if a hurricane is ripping apart an American city.

What would the MSM and Democrats do?

HEADLINE

"The Republicans party while New Orleans is destroyed!!"

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I can see the valid points here, but honestly - the US government hasn't shut down due to the hurricane. Neither has state or local businesses ( except in the affected areas ).

Its a political / government convention to announce their candidate for President. They could still do it and he could talk and say how he prays for the area, would do this or that for the affected area if elected, etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mtmouse32

well I think that is what McCain might do, He might turn up at one of the devastated areas and make his speech there while promising to do better in his presidency..

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yes true, how appropriate, I mean he did get to celebrate and have cake the last time a hurricane hit:

Well its election year, Im not surprised of his "moral" decision this time.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Many people may think that, being I live in Minnesota. The reason I heard is that the Republican's don't want to been seen as celebrating when a major disasters hits close to home for millions of Americans. So they can be ready to stand by and make decisions. Its almost better for them so they don't have Bush or Cheney showing up to hurt them.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well, I was watching Fox News early today to view the track of the hurricane and apparently according to commercials the convention is still going to happen and people are still going to speak and all that.

The only thing that will probably be different is they'll have some kind of donation ongoing through the event for the incoming disaster.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by davion]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The Republicans don't want to be partying while people are being evacuated and homes being flooded. It's absolutely the right thing for them to do.

There's no way they would survive politically if they went on with the convention as planned. I hope they still get a good party, because Lord knows the Democrats did!

The government is doing a GREAT job this time! I'm so happy that the people are being taken care of. Of course, the government couldn't afford to fail so miserably as they did 3 years ago.

I DO believe the Republicans "used" this storm as an excuse to keep Bush and Cheney away from the convention. They don't need to cement the idea that McCain is a third Bush term. Bush is in Texas presiding over the storm watch, but where's Cheney? An undisclosed location, I'm sure.

Finally, the storm went down to a Category 2, which is great news for the region! Looks like it might not be as bad as was originally reported. So, maybe the RNC can be somewhat normal.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian
I cannot believe people are buying into this?! How the hell is Minnesota, the most inland state in North american?? Minnisota is over 2000 miles from New Orleans and it is smack bang in the middle of North america, how the heck can republicans claim this is some threat to the convention??

What BS, I have never heard such a stupid excuse as this, when the heck did a hurricane hit any of the northern/western states?? If Gustav was to really make an impact to Minnesota that would make HALF OF AMERICA under threat.

Doesnt anybody find this an unbelievable excuse? That they might have problems at the convention because of hurrican Gustav and its threat the the northern most inland landlocked state in the Union, I mean seriously.

Surely there are people who can see this BS in this excuse...

Unbelievable

[edit on 31-8-2008 by southern_Guardian]

I'm so embarrassed for you. You literally thought that Hurricane Gustav posed a threat to Minnesota? Don't worry about it...we all make mistakes.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I'm so embarrassed for you. You literally thought that Hurricane Gustav posed a threat to Minnesota?

Clearly, southern_Guardian was making the case that is did NOT pose a threat.

Appears it is YOU who made the mistake. But you're right. It happens to us all.

Now read the first post again and try to comprehend. If you need any help, U2U me and I'll draw a picture. Oops SG already did and you still missed it. Well. Read it again.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by RRconservative
I'm so embarrassed for you. You literally thought that Hurricane Gustav posed a threat to Minnesota?

Clearly, southern_Guardian was making the case that is did NOT pose a threat.

Thanks for the clarification, which does nothing to make the OP any less idiotic.

The republicans never claimed Gustav posed a threat to the convention. The entire premise of the OP is a straw man argument based on making up a lie, which is not surprising considering the source.

Here's the all too common pattern:

1. Make up a lie.
2. Comment on the lie you just made up to make somebody look bad.
3. Attack the posters when they come in to point out that you lied in the first place.

If you need any help understanding this, you can u2u me for further explanation.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I like that they used Gustav as a reason to kick Bush out of the Convention. Can't have Republican's being associated with that failure apparently.

top topics

join