It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Taxpayers Foot The Bill For Gustav Evacuations

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

I see you point and to tell you the truth is all about money, every time that New Orleans gets devastated contracts are awarded at the expenses of tax payer money to pay for the same mistakes that causes New Orleans to be devastated every time a natural disaster strikes.

If somebody can show me where all the money wasted in New Orleans since Katrina has gone I will be delighted to read it.

The people of New Orleans has been short handed and still are short handed.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
what i wanted to add... I think this evacuation is to make up for last huge mistake.. Don't read into it that in the future NO will have to be evacuated every year... And if so, people will eventually be moving away if they find the money. Because I don't think all the damage was paid by the government alone....

And i'm still googling to find something in SF that costs the rest of the USA a lot of money
Maybe that IS Disney!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I see you point and to tell you the truth is all about money, every time that New Orleans gets devastated contracts are awarded at the expenses of tax payer money to pay for the same mistakes that causes New Orleans to be devastated every time a natural disaster strikes.

If somebody can show me where all the money wasted in New Orleans since Katrina has gone I will be delighted to read it.

The people of New Orleans has been short handed and still are short handed.

There you go. The billions that go to these contractors. This is what this is about. We have had to rebuild one time even though it is not done and now we could possibly have to rebuild. How many times will we have to rebuild? If so much money didnt end up missing or wasted then it would make a difference but the fact is each one of these ordeals cost us in the billions and we do not have the money we are bankrupt.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roosje
what i wanted to add... I think this evacuation is to make up for last huge mistake.. Don't read into it that in the future NO will have to be evacuated every year... And if so, people will eventually be moving away if they find the money. Because I don't think all the damage was paid by the government alone....

And i'm still googling to find something in SF that costs the rest of the USA a lot of money
Maybe that IS Disney!

I agree. The people of california and sf should be paying to rebuild. They choose to live there. Trust me this isnt a bust on NO this is a bust on ALL areas that are at risk for natural disaster. They should have to pay a tax in their state in case stuff like this happens. Its not the job of the federal government to keep doing this.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

That is ok you know that our friends the commuinst Chinese government will be more than happy to take the bill once again as they get their hand on the housing foreclosures that they has been itching to get their hands for a while.

You know our nation is for sale and the illusion of prosperity has to be kept no matter that our unborn children, childrens will be getting the debt even before they are born.

This today American way.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Double post.... post down in the thread

[edit on 31-8-2008 by bknapple32]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

And Louisiana does. It has only recently (as in this year) had the rights to share in the revenues it generated from Oil. Louisiana pays for itself fair and square. Storms and other natural disasters cost money. Not least from evacuations but from rebuilding etc. You are part of a society - most people and states pay their dues so that if things are rough there is help for those who need it most. And thank god for that!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
let's look at the per-capital side of Louisiana residents....
then let's look at the (intentionally dumbed-down) level of education of these same citizens.

dock workers, service industry workers, etc.
caught in a continual economic downdraft
where plenty of the citizens cannot afford a car to flee the coming disaster.

what are the disadvantaged & poor supposed to do... huddle together and pray?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
All nations of integrity perform thorough evacuations of known dangers, or they aren't worth paying taxes to, and aren't ethical enough to allow your children to become its citizens. Period. Without exception.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

I am sure you weren't directing this to me as I fully agree with you.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
They are all Americans as as Americans we stand together especially in times of tragedy.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Tuebor]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

yea my bad. just hit the first reply button i could get my hands on.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Thought this was the United States Of America. Not The United State of Louisiana or the United State of Florida. When our own brothers and sister from another state are in need of help, the rest of us should be there. So it costs taxpayers some dough... Your taxes will really be skyrocketing after this evac?? Cmon!!!

And don't give me this nonsense of the people chose to live there , they should pay for the catastrophes. Last time I checked, 14% of us live in poverty... You think those people can pay for it? IF they could move out to another state, perhaps they would... ALL STATES have this issue. That's why we come to the rescue of a state.

I expect my gov to help out victims in California if an earthquake hits.

I expect my gov to help out Chicago if a blizzard hits and engulfs suburbs.

I expect the gov to help out Kansas if tornadoes ravish the land.

And I expect my government to help out New York if terrorists hit.

We spend 10 billion dollars a week to fight in Iraq and prevent another 9/11 (dispute the issues of Iraq in another thread)

We cant spend ... a tenth of that to prevent catastrophes like Katrina or Gustav... or the evac of either?? Gimmie a break. Selfishness can only go s far. Only two things permanent in this world, death and taxes. At least now, my taxes can prevent death, if not for a little while.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Anytime you involve a federal agency, we end up with contractors making millions, rarely the lowest bid contractors, usually through multiple subcontractors. An employee of the federal agency selects the contractor that provides him or her the easiest route to close the loop.

I suggest we end the involvement of federal agencies and divert the FEMA funds to all states based on natural disaster probability. Of course, state agencies are subject to the same problems of the federal agencies, but it might be harder for a NO or close based employee to do the wrong thing...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Guy we are agreeing on the stupid spending as far as Iraq and the big corporations who get their big benefits and all the cronyism. You and I agree there. The only difference is I want to get rid of it all so we get to keep our money we work so hard for.

The government should bail everyone out? Umm no its called its the freedom to choose where you live and if you dont have the means to live in an area you need to leave and go where you can. The fact is this country is free to move around as you please not to move so the government can keep bailing you out. When you live in areas like this there is a cost plain and simple as that. The government shouldnt have to be bailing people out and that goes for everything.

Marg you are correct the international bankers LOVE natural disasters and wars. It forces countries to borrow huge sums of money at interest to pay the tab further enslaving the citizens. This is what people dont understand.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

When disasters like this strike, the state alone can not pay for it. I just read it was about 200 Billion dollars (correct me if i'm wrong). And when every state has to pay for its own risk, where will this go? Every town will pay its own risk and in the end every person will pay its own risk. And then you have a problem...Because insurance companies always find a reason not to pay....And it will cost you more in the end...

You people are blessed by being with so many people so you can together help carry the burden for your fellow Americans. Now it's them, things can happen to SF as well, that your state can't afford....The only thing is that you demand that they will work on prevention.

Reading all this i wonder...What happened to the U in USA?

Edit: i'm not copying other peoples comments...i'm just a slow poster

[edit on 31/8/2008 by Roosje]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Roosje

The U turned into Un-united

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Again with the moving to NO. You will find that most people who have difficulty leaving have been born and raised there for several generations and have not the means to move to a different state. I really think this argument is getting beyond ridiculous. I am out.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
At the end it doesn't matter who agree or disagree the bill will be footed by the tax payer money.

And that is the way it is.

Now when it comes monetary donations I wonder how much will individual citizens will open their purses.

We may be a generous nation but hey our pockets are getting dry.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Wow so much for self sufficiency and if you look at history the U for United means the individual self sufficient states in the republic are all united. Self sufficiency is the key here. Read the constitution. No where does it say the federal government will bail out cities like SF and NO during disasters. It is for the state to do and if the disasters are frequent then the state needs to charge a heft tax. Hey its a part of living where you live deal with it. I see when YOU dont have to pay the tab you dont mind living there. But when its others its fine. Self sufficiency people cmon this is ridiculous. We as a nation have the freedom to DONATE to the cause but should not be forced to with our tax dollars. That is where the freedom comes into play.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by mybigunit]

<< 1    3  4 >>

join