It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea: ATS Dashboard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
As a software developer I don't see this as impossible. How about a dashboard display that users can run that alerts them to new posts? This could be a system-tray type service that functions similar to weatherbug. Users could denote which forums they are interested in tracking. U2Us could also be included. I realize this is initially a Windows idea but it does not necessarily have to be. Can any Mac/Linux users speak up as to the feasibility of such a tool?

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I toyed with an http version of this concept not long ago, a small pop-up in a chromeless browser window which is essentially a "my.AboveTopSecret.com" applet-like appliance. This would be the only real solution that would be compliant with all our users. This remains a possibility. Also, along these same lines would be an RSS XML feed containing the recent posts for each forum. A prototype of dynamic RSS-generation is occuring on ATSNN now in the RSS feeds there. The xml is generated on-demand from one file, for several topical feeds.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
SkepticOverlord, how does one get more involved in the technical steering of this site? Over time I would like to become more involved. I realize I need to earn the privilege and trust first but that goes without saying.

The java applet sounds tempting. I'd like something that does not require me to open up a browser window during the day just to scan for new posts.

Donny

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Okay, I'm a nidget.

How do we see the RSS feed for ATSNN?

Please help!

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
titian: you can keep raising ideas such as this in this forum or via the 'complaints' form. (Slight perversion but still a handy tool).

Beyond that there is the possibility of being invited into DISC, which is a small group that discusses ideas about things to implement on the forums.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thanks for the info Kano. I find a lot of value in reading/posting on this board so I hope to be able to give something back someday.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
titian your idea sounds like a good one.

titian the idea of an ATS chess program has been talked about beofre, but william has not had the time to make it. You want to help out ATS and know how to do make it, so you might talk to skepticoverlord about that. Just giving you an idea on how you might be able to help ATS.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Any mention of a chess competition will be met with summary execution!

new topics

top topics

join