It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like Communist China, American ISPs Are Now Blocking Websites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Not fit for public consumption, apparently. Who decides?

I changed isps earlier this week, and now I can browse the web just like I used to.... except for Richard Syrett's website.

I plug my ethernet cable back into my wireless modem (I still have it active, for now) and it comes right up.

Back to my cable modem... and it's as if Richard Syrett doesn't exist. (It does work for all "safe" content, though.)

I've tried all the usual tricks. Rebooting, releasing, refreshing, power-cycle... all that. I can confirm that through my old wireless connection, I can get his site, but my new cable connection times out, every time.

I guess someone didn't like what he had to say??

By the way, the company blocking it is SuddenLink (formerly Cox).

Just an FYI

[edit on 27-8-2008 by wingred45]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Is it really necessary to mention "communist China"?

This sounds like an attack on cimmunism more than whats in the title of your thread

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
No, it's not an attack on communism.

It's an attack on those who think they possess the sole right to decide what information or sites should be available to the public.

I think the public should access anything it wants, and decide for itself what to believe. To ban a website (with no indication that it even exists, or that they are banning it in the first place) is the kind of action I would expect from China, not an American telecommunications company.

My question is... did the company decide to do this? Or were they given orders...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Contact them, to confirm it. Then ask questions. Companies are quick to submit.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wingred45

I didn't have a problem accessing the site and live in America. Your ISP sucks, call and/or email to complain - as mentioned by a previous reply to your post.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
First off, what ISP is it that you're using that is blocking this website?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
He has this odd thing in his HTML at the very top...

That's been known to cause some display problems for people... and might be more of an indication that your ISP is attempting to parse the page (perhaps to deliver you an ad), rather than domain blocking.

top topics

join