It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China voices "concern" after Russian steps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

China voices "concern" after Russian steps

www.alertnet.org

BEIJING, Aug 28 (Reuters) - China said it was "concerned" about Russia's volatile quarrel with Georgia after Moscow recognised the disputed regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent entities.

Beijing has avoided extensive public comment on the dispute between Russia and Georgia, which burst into a brief war over South Ossetia and has stoked tensions between Moscow and the West.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It was only a matter of time before China said some thing about the conflict with Russia and Georgia over South Ossetia and Abkhazia

Lets just hope that common sense is used by all the Nations of the world in this matter

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-8-2008 by duffster]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Haha what a contrast to the sabre rattling from the west. They can't be please with Russia recognizing the breakaway regions but it's good they have refrained from rasing tensions while the issues are still being worked out. Putting missiles in Poland and talking about NATO expansion at this point in time only adds fuel to this fire.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I have to wonder what China's perspective would be on Russia taking back all those countries which once belonged to it, as China is doing with Tibet. Now that would be an interesting opinion to hear.

I suspect we will be hearing that opinion all too soon.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well craptastic, I posted a little late.

Anyway I will reiterate my point.

The PRC is dealing with Taiwan, Uighur Separatists, and Tibet. They didnt like Kosovo and they are not going to like what it happening in Georgia. Territorial Integrity is a very sensitive issue for the Chinese.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
To continue with my point:

Russia's Medvedev looks east for support on Georgia

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang told reporters in Beijing that South Ossetia would probably be discussed. But with most SCO members facing separatist rebellions of their own, outright support for Moscow's actions is seen as unlikely.

"China, which has own separatists, will be the biggest problem," said Alexei Mukhin, head of the Centre of Political Information think-tank. "The recognition of Abkhazia and South Ossetia is unacceptable for Beijing."

www.alertnet.org...

Russia may not get a whole lot of help out of the hole thats been dug. Two wrongs dont make a right. Even if the West messed up with Kosovo, Russia should of maintained the moral highground and not followed the West's example.

[edit on 28/8/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
um, im thinkin that kosovo was an instance of a violent minority (of foreigners) claiming part of a land that wasnt theirs by historical priority. Georgia was an aggressive country (georgia for those that dont know) attacking two independent lands that have been soveriegn de facto since the 90's, and most citizens have russian citizenship, and russia intervened AFTER another country posted news reports of ethnic cleansing. So, no, i dont think russia is following in kosovo's footsteps. And yes, i know some out there will debate the charges of ossetia's independence or of the ethnic cleansing, but it still remains that the georgians invaded under a ceasefire, and started massacreing civilians, and russia intervened. Thats nothing like kosovo, and could only be compared to south america invading mexico, and us going in to save the mexicans.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

From China's point of view it would be like China invading Taiwan, a defacto autonomous province, and the US then attacking China. Beijing doesn't like it and they didn't like the deal with Kosovo either.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I'm saying all along and when the time comes you heard it from ol Mopus first.

China is going to end up in a military alliance with the US, secretly and quietly already is.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
I'm saying all along and when the time comes you heard it from ol Mopus first.

China is going to end up in a military alliance with the US, secretly and quietly already is.

I work with a guy that is Russian. He seems to agree with you on this point. I don't really know much about the history of Chinese/Russian relations but he has cited examples of the stress between the two countries for a long time.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
i think a smarter move for china would be a treaty with russia and other dissaffected countries who no longer want to be under the heel of american imperialism. If china sides with the us, the will continue to be our beck and call boy.....wait....what am i thinking? China can side with us for now to cow russia, and then at the same time just wait for us to bankrupt ourselves and then they wind up on top. Hmmm.....not a bad idea for them.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
From the way i see it China is playing both sides,on one hand it's coming out in public and condemning Russian actions and at the same time are thinking how can we use this to our own advantage

I don't think China would end up in a military alliance with the USA

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
um, im thinkin that kosovo was an instance of a violent minority (of foreigners) claiming part of a land that wasnt theirs by historical priority. Georgia was an aggressive country (georgia for those that dont know) attacking two independent lands that have been soveriegn de facto since the 90's, and most citizens have russian citizenship, and russia intervened AFTER another country posted news reports of ethnic cleansing. So, no, i dont think russia is following in kosovo's footsteps. And yes, i know some out there will debate the charges of ossetia's independence or of the ethnic cleansing, but it still remains that the georgians invaded under a ceasefire, and started massacreing civilians, and russia intervened. Thats nothing like kosovo, and could only be compared to south america invading mexico, and us going in to save the mexicans.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Kosovo situation was NOT about a violent minority of foreigners, the violent ones were the Kosovars, and it is proven.

The west and Nato/EU, conspired to declare Kosovo independant for their own ulterior motives.

There was absolutely no evidence of ethnic cleansing in Kosovo, it was all hyped up western propaganda on the media.Bosnia was a different story and I wont go into that here.

To learn the truth about the Kosovo situation please click here-

The truth about false intel regarding Kosovo & the bombing of Serbia

it explains alot, and somewhat why the west is getting involved with Georgia. part of the divide and conquer policy along with encirclement of russia policy all in one.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
China is a country of bright future, time is on our side.
what we should do now is developing ourself, improving our institutions
economyly and politically, rising our standard of living.
So I believe Chinese government don't want to interfere in any conflict
including South Ossetia and Abkhazia issue.
But a hegemony always use freedom, democracy or human right as weapons to
make trouble with China in Tibet, Xinjiang, Taiwan issue
that makes Chinese people angry.
So,personally I'd like to see Chinese government make a bit trouble
with the hegemony who always makes trouble with China.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by gs001]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I find Sino-Russian relations extremely interesting. They are not as close as they seem at first glance.

Sure, both countries have a common goal of containing US influence in their respective regions, but their interests diverge after that. China doesn't want to be Russia's 'little brother', and Russia is worried about another (very strong) rival appearing on its doorstep (and this time, they have extensive borders and some disputes too). So now Russia is sort of hemmed in... it has the EU/US to the west, and China to the east (as well as Japan and a US presence too). So it's surrounded by economically and militarily powerful enemies.

Chinese support for Russia is far from unconditional, and the Russians know it. There are numerous smaller disputes between Russia and China (over territory, diplomatic/political activities and so forth) that prevent a solid Sino-Russian alliance from developing. I don't think a situation like that put forward by mopusvindictus is as farfetched as it seems. Perhaps not a full-blown alliance, but some kind of agreement between China and the US, particularly if China feels threatened by Russia's actions.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
melbourne, when i said "violent minority of foreigners" i was actually referring to the albanian muslims.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by pexx421]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
[edit on 28-8-2008 by pexx421]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
why was this thread deleted or blocked ?
American style of free speech?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Well, you're posting, I'm posting. It is not blocked.
Two, I can still see it. It's not blocked.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join