It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

V-22 for Royal Navy MASC?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The new British Aircraft Carriers are due in 2017 but the MOD are currently looking for a candidate for their MASC (Maritime Airborne Surveillance and Control AWACS for the Americans). The MOD have recently ruled out a fixed wing option for the aircraft. This brings me to my question.

A. Does that possibly include the V-22? And if so what would the outcome possibly look like?

B. If not what would be the best option for a ski-ramp equipped carrier?

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I don't know that the New RN aircraft carriers are going to be ski-ramp equipped, but they will be smaller than US aircraft carriers.

Fitting an AWACS-type radome on top of the V-22 would be rather difficult. The fan blades would interfere much of the time, unless pulses were carefully co-ordinated in broadcast, much like the firing interrupters on WWI fighter aircraft. There would also be stability and aerodynamicity issues which would have to be overcome. The Osprey would be a good idea, though, if you could get around those problems.

To my knowledge, the Royal Navy doesn't have a Hawkeye equivalent. I suspect most of the surveillance may be carried out by UAVs and modified helicopters. But choppers are not good for high-altitude surveillance jobs. I'll try and find out more.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Royal Navy do have awacs for their current carriers

they have modified Sea King helicopter which have a dome mounted on the side of the aircraft which rotates underneath the aircraft when in flight.

Sea King ASaC
www.royal-navy.mod.uk...
The ASaC - Airborne Surveillance and Area Control (previously Airborne Early Warning) Sea King was rapidly brought into service post the Falklands conflict when it became clear that organic Airborne Early Warning was an essential part of air power at sea. Once again the venerable airframe fitted the bill and, using the Searchwater radar, quickly entered service. The platform offers tactical control to the Sea Harrier, and other shore and carrier based aircraft. It can detect low flying aircraft trying to attack surface ships under conventional shipborne radar cover. It can also be used for surface search again using the sophisticated, computer controlled long range radar.

At the start of Gulf War II the one going off station (from HMS Ark Royal) collided with the one coming on station destroying 2 of the 3 units they had.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Popeye]

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Popeye]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Although the Sea King ASaC has done sterling service it may possibly be time for the Merlin to take over the tasks previously performed by it. Although the Sea King is good at what it does surely a STOVL equipped aeroplane would surely do a better job being able to work at higher ceilings therefore covering wider areas. Although it is true that a rotodome would have problems with the propellers on the V-22, it would probably be quite profitable for Boeing to develop a system similar to the now defunct Nimrod AEW 3 with radomes on the nose and tail. Although the Nimrod AEW 3 did have serious problems it would definitely be profitable for Boeing to develop such a variant as countries such as Italy and India would almost certainly be interested in such an aircraft. If the V-22 isn't developed for such a purpose then what else could be except for the Merlin as one can't see the MoD developing a totally new airframe for such a purpose. For information on the new carrier and it's layout try:

www.mod.uk...

www.royal-navy.mod.uk...

www.globalsecurity.org...

[Edited on 19-3-2004 by Pouch_Knife]

new topics

top topics

join