It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC gone mad - CBC site bans word 'Jew'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Now this truly is political correctness gone mad !

INTERNET users who post messages on a CBC [Canadian Broadcasting Corporation] Web site have launched complaints that the Crown corporation routinely removes the words "Jew," "Jewish" and Israel from network chat rooms devoted to online discussion of news events.

Meanwhile, vulgar expletives frequently appear on the same CBC discussion Web site. So do the words "Nazi" and "rabid Zionist."

Even the incendiary phrase "red-neck greedy selfish Albertocentric money grubbing pig" passes muster with CBC censors, who use special software to seek and destroy postings containing words they have deemed "inappropriate."

Article continues here

I've put this in the 'Politics and Scandal' forum because as far as I am concerned, political correctness is a scandal !

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
OMG!!!!

Here come the thought-police.

That is PC gone out of control.

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by Facefirst]

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
well, i got two days detention for saying Jewish, so you know how I feel.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I fail to see why the word Jewish needs to be censored.

What's next..... You can't say Dane, Dan(ish), Ir(ish), Fin, Finn(ish) or Engli(sh)??

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
well, i got two days detention for saying Jewish, so you know how I feel.

Dude are you serious?

I would fight that like they were trying to take my kids.

That is the lamest thing I have ever heard.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
So what is the PC way of saying jew or jewish then? And what's bad about the J word, I really honestly don't get it.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Wow, what a stupid action. I guess the CBC doesnt know how to actually look at a sentence and evaluate it, so they just pull anything with the offending words in it. By itself Jew and Jewsish arent offensive, its when they are accompanied by other words of a derrogaotry nature that they become bad, but in the interest of cutting corners and saving time I guess its just better in the eyes of the CBC to outlaw all use of the word instead. One more point of stupidity in this rolling sea of stupidity called the internet.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What has the world come to....this is just rediculus. And, those words arn't even Offencive....they are just words used to discibe a religion and a place.

Sheesh.....

[Edited on 20-3-2004 by Curiosity]

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Wow. This so so stupid. What's next ? Banning 'Muslim' or 'Christian' or ... well, whatever else they decide offends their 'moral high ground'. What are we supposed to use anyway ? Hebrew, Israelite ? At least they could give us a hint. Idiots.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Nope, it will just be for anything that has "Jew" in it. Because you know how "sensitive" they are on every issue "concerning" their religion. I see it as a means of control more than anything else. And when I say "sensitive," I'm talking about the Zionists, and not the true jews.

[Edited on 3-19-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
why am I not suprised? These are the same Canadians who won't let the prison gaurds have stab proof vests because "it might offend the prisoners"!!!!!!

What a bunch of sorry asses!

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Embryionic, you may be right, if so, I'm not allowed to say. I will continue this post in a PC manner so nobody shows up at my door, you know the PC police.

The CBC is funded by "that group" that runs the "area above the U.S." They concern themselves that no one is offended by it's content. It makes sure that only "nice speech" is used. Words such as "a certain amphibian and a water barrier" will soon follow.

And Madman, don't confuse the people for it's government. If I did I would assume that all Americans were bloodthisty, inarticulate warmongerers.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew...and one more timeeeee....JEW!!!!

Who have I offended? How is it offensive? That is...(I dare not even say it as I seem to be saying it everyday now)...the must rediculous thing I've ever heard.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Quote by Nada: "Who have I offended? How is it offensive? That is...(I dare not even say it as I seem to be saying it everyday now)...the must rediculous thing I've ever heard."

I'm with you brother, but welcome to my world. Get this, in parliment someone could say something totally inane and if another MP says "That's stupid" he gets slapped down for it. Here, it seems, that you can do whatever but, for christs sake don't say anything to offend someone.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
actually the word Jew was not banned, any posts containing this word are simply held in abeyance until they can be reviewed by moderators for inflamatory content. Once reviewed and deemed ok, the post is posted.

There are a million reasons to hate the CBC, this aint one of them

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Quote by Deevee: "There are a million reasons to hate the CBC, this aint one of them."

Yeah, I remember the Rita Mcneil show too.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
actually the word Jew was not banned, any posts containing this word are simply held in abeyance until they can be reviewed by moderators for inflamatory content. Once reviewed and deemed ok, the post is posted.

Are they doing the same for Muslim, Christian e.t.c. and reviewing them? If not then I just don't see your point at all. Do you need to pick up merit for this?
You know, maybe if people stop seeing themselves as victims people will stop treating them like victims.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Are they doing the same for Muslim, Christian e.t.c. and reviewing them? If not then I just don't see your point at all. Do you need to pick up merit for this?
You know, maybe if people stop seeing themselves as victims people will stop treating them like victims.

I don't understand what you mean by "do you need to pick up merit for this" but yeah they have a couple of words that pertain to muslims that are flagged as well.

I cant post a link because I read it in the National Post which has gone to a paid subscription service on the web.

new topics

top topics

join