It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Blows 11 million dollars - but it aint a setback!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
So NASA put two satellites costing $11 million dollars on a prototype rocket that is described as "Alliant's first stab at building an entire fully integrated rocket"...then they launched it, it veered off course (apparently over/toward populated areas) and they had to shoot the thing down.

www.nytimes.com...

www.floridatoday.com.../20080822/BREAKINGNEWS/80822032/1086

www.dailypress.com...

www.startribune.com...
CiU1OiP
iiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

www.chicagotribune.com...

blogs.orlandosentinel.com...

twincities.bizjournals.com...

hamptonroads.com...

www.itwire.com...

www.theregister.co.uk...

And this cornholio from Alliant has the audacity to declare ""the accident was 'a very big disappointment, but not a setback". But the New Scientist

space.newscientist.com...

reports there are no replacements for the lost payload and Flight International reports they won't even give ATK another shot at a prototype

www.flightglobal.com...

So Mr. ATK spokesman - exactly how bad do things have to get before you declare a "setback"???

I cannot believe the stupidity involved in this. Several people need to be fired - basically everyone up the chain of command that okay'd this idiotic decision.

[edit on 8-25-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I guess this wasn't a setback either, then:

On 2 August, NASA lost another pair of experiments – a solar sail and a microgravity biology test – when a SpaceX Falcon 1 rocket failed minutes into flight. Those experiments cost an estimated $2.3 million.

space.newscientist.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The government owns plenty of rocket designs and parts.

Must be n00bies.

Engineers time to strike and get better retirement package.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
So Kent is the new guy, relatively speaking....and is quite the NASA insider.

You might find this unconnected story a little interesting:

ATK Launch Systems Group Cleared to Immediately Resume Normal Contract Processes and Procedures

MINNEAPOLIS, Feb. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) has received clearance from the U.S. Air Force for its Launch Systems group to immediately resume normal contracting processes and procedures. The clearance vacates an action by the Air Force that temporarily placed the group on the Excluded Parties List (EPL). The company has been working closely with senior Air Force officials to resolve the issue. The temporary listing on the EPL had no material effect on the company's business operations and did not result in the loss of any contracts.

I wonder why the Air Force had heartburn with the company? Somebody obviously didn't like something to get ATK on the Excluded Parties List (EPL).

I gotta run, but will look that up later just for fun.

top topics

join