It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lone Accountant Takes On The IRS and Wins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Lone Accountant Takes On The IRS and Wins

www.denverpost.com

WASHINGTON — It took seven years, but Charles Ulrich did something many people dream about, but few succeed at: He beat the IRS in a tax dispute.

Not only that, but tax experts say potentially millions of other taxpayers could benefit from his victory.

The accountant from Baxter, Minn., challenged the method the IRS has used for more than 20 years to tax shares and cash distributed by mutual life insurance firms to their policyholders when they reorganize as public companies.

A federal court recently agreed with his interpretation.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Score one for the little people!

I always love to hear stories like this, even though I'm sure the IRS will file numerous appeals to try and avoid paying these people back.

Still, it's nice to see that these folks don't always get away with extorting money from the tax-payers without being successfully challenged...

www.denverpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24/8/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
oh great news indeed!! let's hope this gets the ball rolling! it's about time someone step up to the plate!

TAXES ARE VOLUNTARY!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Yeah erm about all this tax being volentary stuff, i have to ask something. If you got a ruling for everyone on it, then pretty much no one would pay. This means your schools, police, fire services, roads and other things wouldn't be fundable.

So please tell me why taxes are such a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

The purpose of tax is to pay the interest on the government's loaned money.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Yeah erm about all this tax being volentary stuff, i have to ask something. If you got a ruling for everyone on it, then pretty much no one would pay. This means your schools, police, fire services, roads and other things wouldn't be fundable.

Property taxes and local taxes pay for that. Income tax goes to none of this. The income tax should be known as a slave tax. It just promotes big unnecessary government.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

If the tax wasn't there to pay for that money then they'd take it from other taxes. In the end it's all one pool of money that is split up and spent. The obsession with taxes being evil seems like it's nothing me than people unwilling to give their hard earnt money away out of utter selfishness. However they don't think it through.

If you manage to abolish this tax, really adn truly, and make it volentary. Then you watch as your countries infrastructure collapses around you. You don't want that and i wouldn't want it. Not all taxes are evil.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Tax buys bombs.

One line.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I disagree with you completely. As mybigunit has pointed out, income tax is the only one that we are discussing. There are plenty of other taxes that go to paying local things.

You got property tax, sales tax, road tax, fees of ALL different kinds!
Seriously, it really seems like what your income tax is paying for, is the government to expand its current branches, and open up new ones to control our every move. We are paying for the gov to watch our every move and babysit us.

I sincerely believe there are plenty of local taxes and fees.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

If the tax wasn't there to pay for that money then they'd take it from other taxes. In the end it's all one pool of money that is split up and spent. The obsession with taxes being evil seems like it's nothing me than people unwilling to give their hard earnt money away out of utter selfishness. However they don't think it through.

If you manage to abolish this tax, really adn truly, and make it volentary. Then you watch as your countries infrastructure collapses around you. You don't want that and i wouldn't want it. Not all taxes are evil.

if you work 1/3 of the year for free to pay for things that you do not even use or need for the most part that is called slavery. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. 22% of your taxes you pay goes directly to the international bankers. I think you need to study how our money system works. I think your lack of knowledge on the subject is really blinding you from a sad truth and that truth is we are all slaves its just a matter of how much.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

The government has the power to issue its own currency interest free. It's been done before believe it or not

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
If people would learn how statutes are constructed they would learn that they have been changed to nothing more than corporate entities within them. you forfeit your rights under most statutes because of your right to contract has made the statute legally binding. You will notice most statutes dangle a benefit to sucker you in. Once your suckered in statutes apply to the artificial person you've become. The constitution does not apply in the same manner to corporate entities. You must reclaim your status by being an agent for your artificial person, or reclaim yourself entirely and become sovereign.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by Swingarm]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
This thread was posted just yesterday and was closed.

ATS needs better janitors.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
if you work 1/3 of the year for free to pay for things that you do not even use or need for the most part that is called slavery. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. 22% of your taxes you pay goes directly to the international bankers. I think you need to study how our money system works. I think your lack of knowledge on the subject is really blinding you from a sad truth and that truth is we are all slaves its just a matter of how much.

I do understand how the american system works, i read a lot about it and even watched that film by Russo. However just because i disagree doesn't mean i'm incorrect. It just smacks of people not wanting to give out the money they earn because it's theirs. You aren't thinking through what would happen to many of your services without a tax.

Are you also saying local taxes should be banned as well? If the income tax wasn't taken then government spending would massively decrease and you would have to take money from somehere to pay the national debt. So where should that money come from?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Ridiculously false. This country's infrastructures are granted through local taxes and/or private fees. The IRS taxes that you believe to be so crucial are indeed made to refund the Federal Reserve private crooks for the debt the US has for the paper money they borrow from them.

This is not fair to FORCE people to pay taxes for a system and services they don't even choose. This is legal, institutionalized racketeering, dating back to the days of the New Deal and the unconstitutional Federal Reserve Act. Nothing else than that. This guy has won a court case over the legitimacy of such a racket, and he won. You, on the other hand, are reasoning like a slave, and rather than asking yourself if it's legitimate and if it goes with the rights recognized by the Constitution, you're asking us the question "what are we gonna do without this slave system our masters have set up???"

No free citizen needs a system based upon tax slavery. This is one of the main reasons why your government's got so f--- up after all these years... because it's got his hands tied to private banks and their currency investors. They hold the government by the balls.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Tax buys bombs.

One line.

plus all the money they give away to all the starving countries...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

My government the UK you mean? Well the reason they've messed up is massive spending on credit and it's something many people were against.

That aside, countries where taxes are massively high compared to the USA are some of the best places to live in polls and some of the happiest people. The nordic countries are a good example, they are taxed so heavily it's untrue and yet they're happy, healthy and generally better off. So if taxes are bad then how would you see that situation?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Echtelion

My government the UK you mean? Well the reason they've messed up is massive spending on credit and it's something many people were against.

That aside, countries where taxes are massively high compared to the USA are some of the best places to live in polls and some of the happiest people. The nordic countries are a good example, they are taxed so heavily it's untrue and yet they're happy, healthy and generally better off. So if taxes are bad then how would you see that situation?

I live in the UK (a British citizen by birth) but have worked in other European countries for extended periods. The key to successful taxation is transparency. In the UK we suffer from incredibly high taxation via "stealth" means. Yes, taxation abroad "appears" higher but overall is lower.

Of course we need taxation, but the UK system is way out of control - Inevitably, you have to ask, "Where is all the money going?" Or to put it another way, "Is the Government spending our taxes on things that 'it' endorses rather than what the "public" endorses... the public whom it is supposed to serve?"

One year ago The Financial Times indicated that, "The conflict in Iraq and efforts to rebuild the country have cost British taxpayers about £6.6bn ($13.3bn), almost a third more than the funds Prime Minister Gordon Brown set aside for the military to fight the war."

In for a penny in for a pound...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

It just smacks of people not wanting to give out the money they earn because it's theirs. You aren't thinking through what would happen to many of your services without a tax.

Are you also saying local taxes should be banned as well? If the income tax wasn't taken then government spending would massively decrease and you would have to take money from somewhere to pay the national debt. So where should that money come from?

The only tax that we pay that I believe is not called for is our income tax. A lot of people feel this way. That is money that we earn making a living to get by and the government feels it is entitled to it. That is why people call it slavery.

I believe we should only pay taxes on services that we need. You live on the land, you pay a tax on it. You drive on the roads, you pay a tax on it. Our children need education, you pay a tax on it. Etc., Etc. Unearned income should be taxed because you shouldn't get something for nothing. Then of course there's sales tax. You consume, you pay a tax. But food stuffs shouldn't be taxed because it is a necessity.

There's is no reason for the government to decide it gets a cut out of our income that we work for. Think also of how businesses would flourish if they didn't have to match employee taxes. I work in an accounting firm and you have no idea how having to pay those taxes really hurts business owners. A lot of businesses have closed down also because they couldn't afford to pay them at all. Plus, they are reluctant to pay their employees more because they don't want to have to pay more payroll taxes.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Gladly. First, I would point out that if all these things started to disintegrate, people locally would get together and solve the problems. That's just what happens. The money spent directly to solve the problems is far less than the cost of sending it way up the line and paying the administrators at each step back down.

So if you spend 1 dollar locally, that's much like sending 100 dollars to the Feds.

Also... Add another 300 dollars that one would have to pay for the graft.

One dollar spent here is worth four hundred sent to the federal level.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join