It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Webcam... The VMC from the Mars Express

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I get news alerts from Yahoo and I came across this page.

Mars Webcam

I haven't really looked around a whole lot yet. I hope they are going to be showing us some uncensored stuff.

I emailed NASA a while ago asking them to put a webcam on the ISS and link it to their website for everyone to see and I never did get a response from them. I guess since they have not done this I can take that as my answer.

Let's just hope some great images come from this camera.

Edit to add that they are inviting the public to process the images ourselves link here. Sounds like they are going to provide us with the raw images.

Star

[edit on 8/24/2008 by Stari]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Stari

Thanks for the info and link. I decided to asnwer your thread to at least give you some credits for posting

Funny that when speaking about webcam you expect moving images, but I haven't found that yet, only pictures up till now. I wonder if anything spectaculair will be found on these images, but I highy doubt it.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Cool link, thanks.

I have always wondered the same as you, for NASA to be a publicly funded organization through tax dollars allocated to it by representatives that vote the will of the people...they sure do pretty stupid things that only interest us nerds. It's no wonder why they have to scramble to get funding.

I mean, come on, how hard would it for them to come up with things that the average Joe could get his/her hands on and get excited about space again? Simple webcams...hell even a Moon rover that everyone could take turns driving...ok that is not a good idea, but maybe a moon camera that anyone could access and move around for several minutes before its some others turn. The return on those investments would be almost incalculable. You would not only engaged the current public with ongoing first person participation, but you would inspire countless youth that would grow up, go to school and make Star Trek come true through science.....lol.

If I ran NASA, I would setup a public access technology office whose job it would be to co-ordinate with mission managers to see how and what they can cheaply integrate into each space package that fits the bill of something simple, low cost, and accessible/engaging by some dude in a one bedroom apartment and a high speed internet connection.

Not too much to ask for, considering its our money. Just think of the extra tax money that NASA might get with greater public support spawned through direct to public interaction via technology!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Wow... that is exactly what I was thinking when I emailed them. This would definately up the money coming in for them if they just took that external camera on board the ISS and pointed it toward the moon or just into space for petes sake. Make a link on the net and let everyone have a first hand chance at looking at the live image.

They can do it they just dont. This alone shows they are hiding something from the public. Why? Because it is cheap and already on the ISS. If they needed the camera for anything else so be it.. we could all see at the same time.

Oh well, if only we could have a say on where are tax money goes.

Star

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnus1962

Hi saturnus, I know what you mean about the webcam thing. I have not found any live feeds yet. I'm thinking these are not uncensored after all.

Thats ok, the link is now out on ATS and I am sure that all the ATSers who likes grooling over images for hours at a time looking for stuff will love the new images.

Star

top topics

join