It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 and the mayans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
i know this may sound crazy to some of you but does anyone think that perhaps the mayans just got bored of continously writing a calender or they may have been wiped out at the time. i dunno i just find this talk of 2012 a bit stupid as there isnt really much proof to it is there. just peoples beliefs which everyones entitled to but yeah i just dont see why a lot of you seem to get all worked up and obcessed with the slight possibility you might die in a few years

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
well there is much proof. just people misinterperet what is there. The mayan calander, is just that. A calander. What happens in 2009 when this calender is done. Nothing, its done. The mayan calander is based off of the earths rotation variable to the sun/stars ect. Now at the end of this, there is a catastrophic event, that causes a polar shift. Now, theoretically, during a polar shift the earth stops turning. now who is to say the exact time before t starts rotating again? n, 1-5 days supposedly. Now this would mean that the cances of this calander working anymore is very slim, if not nill, seeing as how every other possibility "should" happen first before it does again. Yes to polar shift, and possibly ww3. No to end of world. Stop worrying and enjoy yourselves for awhile.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
well there is much proof. just people misinterperet what is there. The mayan calander, is just that. A calander. What happens in 2009 when this calender is done. Nothing, its done. The mayan calander is based off of the earths rotation variable to the sun/stars ect. Now at the end of this, there is a catastrophic event, that causes a polar shift. Now, theoretically, during a polar shift the earth stops turning. now who is to say the exact time before t starts rotating again? n, 1-5 days supposedly. Now this would mean that the cances of this calander working anymore is very slim, if not nill, seeing as how every other possibility "should" happen first before it does again. Yes to polar shift, and possibly ww3. No to end of world. Stop worrying and enjoy yourselves for awhile.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
not everyone who has a background of ancient cultures is obsessed with the end of the world. Not everyone who thinks the mayan calender is more than a calendar, believes that it means the end.

We live in a predominantly western society that is almost the polar opposite of ancient mayan culture. There are similarities, however the belief systems of some of the ancients were supremely opposite of some of the ones that we hold today as a society.

I agree that celebrating life is far better than contemplating and awaiting your demise.

one thing is for certain. Change is happening and things are going to keep changing more and more exponentially and illogically. We are on the cusp of the golden age of mankind.

By celebrating life, maintaining self/mental/emotional control of yourself, and learning to adapt you will survive. If not physically than surely in another form.

Life will go on...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The mayan calendar is just the same as our modern calendar"it ends in december and starts again in january" The mayan calendar is round so there is no end its continuos at the end of each period or to us "year" there is a new beggining hense the next period or year, its quite simple.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Yah it doesnt end anywhere...it just keeps going on and on...no end...anyhoo i much prefer the mayans way of using calendars than the gregorian one,especially the ones that correlate to the day you were born,which in turn is your name etc etc Makes people have a sense of what they are alive for in a way...something alot of people dont have these days...Calendars are special.
Geez mayans had like 12 of the bad boys all for different things...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
the mayan calender will be useless after 2012...simple as that. the earth will change, and the laws surounding it will be changed.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by THIseNdsnowoldKings
the mayan calender will be useless after 2012...simple as that. the earth will change, and the laws surounding it will be changed.

No, actually it just starts over again from the beginning.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I lol at these threads.

What makes people think the Mayans have the slightest clue what they are talking about?

They though the sun was a god ROFL

They knew NOTHING. Stop giving them credit for it. They thought they needed to brutally kill people or they would all die. COME ON!

Wake up!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverSurrender

Actually, the Mayan Calendar is the most astrologically accurate calendar ever created. It has been predicting lunar and solar eclipses for thousands of years with impeccable accuracy.

Oh, but wait, you think wikipedia is a reliable source, so...

[edit on 15-9-2008 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The mayans stopped calculating the calendar because their reference pole star would have changed position in 2012, this is the information I heard in some video and I dont remember where

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Its a fact that the reason the calender ends at 2012 is because its the beginning of a new age called the "Aquarius Age". In fact my question would be.

Question:
Did the great ancient civilization get wiped out before they could draw up the next calenders for the new ages.

Even thought this actually proves the reason behind the calenders creation and the reason behind the 2012date it is still said to be something huge happening during the new age which was also stated via the Mayans if I'm correct. I would be happy to find the documents stating this but I'm to lazy at the moment.

top topics

join