It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Company acknowledges voting machine error

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Company acknowledges voting machine error

www.msnbc.msn.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A major voting machine maker has cautioned its customers in 34 states to look out for a programming error that may cause votes to be dropped.

At least 1,000 total votes were dropped in nine Ohio counties over the course of a handful elections back to 2006, including the March presidential primary, though the error was in all cases discovered and corrected within several hours. Premier Election Solutions Inc. previously had said complications with antivirus software caused the problem, but on Tuesday the company said in a product advisory that the problem is with the machines themselves.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Why do I smell a familiar stench here.

34 states with defective machines??? A thousand votes were lost?

OK, call me paranoid, but who here thinks that this is not the last were going to hear about this problem. Yes, I know that the company says the problem is fixed, but I find it hard to believe that a problem like this exists in the first place.

I wonder if a similar error happened in Fla. about 8 years ago......Hmmmm.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I wonder if this was the same affliction that caused the Diebold scandals in the previous elections

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
"Anti-virus software"???

Any voting system that requires 'anti-virus' protection is inherently flawed. All executable code should be stored in non-modifiable PROM chips.

They might as well use Windows to total the votes.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
34 states, holy cow.

And only a 1000 votes?

How many hundreds of thousands of votes occur in each state, and only an average of 300 per state were lost?

...thats a very minor league type intermittent problem there.. im guessing its a lot more votes!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

The error occurs when multiple memory cards are being uploaded at the same time, and it is more likely to occur in jurisdictions that have several voters and use touch-screen voting systems, said Premier spokesman Chris Riggall.

Also, am I the only one who finds this guy's name slightly ironic?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I thought Diebold already accidentally leaked the next election results. McCain with 48% of the vote if I recall correctly. Maybe the LHC will change them anyway.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

The error occurs when multiple memory cards are being uploaded at the same time, and it is more likely to occur in jurisdictions that have several voters and use touch-screen voting systems, said Premier spokesman Chris Riggall.

See, it's not a problem unless you have several voters actually using the system. Much like my old junk car with no brakes, it runs perfectly inside the garage and only kills people when I load them in and drive down the Interstate.

And since it works perfectly on the 729 days nobody votes in an election cycle, it has a 99.997% accuracy rate. Pretty damned impressive!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
34 states, holy cow.

And only a 1000 votes?

How many hundreds of thousands of votes occur in each state, and only an average of 300 per state were lost?

...thats a very minor league type intermittent problem there.. im guessing its a lot more votes!

I think its a lot more votes too. The bottom line is that the election law states taht all votes will be counted, if they are 1000 off, thats a violation. These machines have to be dead on, additionally, they need to print out a report showing what voter registration number voted for whom. There needs to be a way to tie back votes to people for people to review to verify the results.

I want to cast a hand written ballot, not go on these machines...just my 2 cents

Camain

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Been reading Michael Parenti's work for a few years now and he has really opened my mind to many of the presumptions and mythologies we base our reasoning on. This following article is quite comprehensive and makes the scale of the cheating as clear as the arrogance of GOP in choosing this path.

www.michaelparenti.org...

Stellar

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
cnn.com finally has something about this...

www.cnn.com...

West Virginia's voting machines are recording the wrong vote, and Florida's going back to paper ballots...

you think they woulda fixed this stuff since they knew about its problems EIGHT YEARS AGO!

typical though..

should we even be surprised any more?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
"Anti-virus software"???

Any voting system that requires 'anti-virus' protection is inherently flawed. All executable code should be stored in non-modifiable PROM chips.

They might as well use Windows to total the votes.

If this is the problem, they probably already are using Windows... Windows is the target of nearly all viruses, given that Windows is the OS installed on nearly all systems around the US.

Most Mac users don't run AV software, nor do many if not most Linux users. Not because these OSs are inherently immune to viruses, but because they are not targets due to the relatively low adoption rate.

This is just the latest round on this. These machines have been shown to be security sieves, not once but many times.

My state a couple of years ago or so also went back to purely paper ballots, for just this reason.

top topics

join