It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Revises His Definition Of 'Rich': Some People 'Are Poor If They're Billionaires'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

McCain Revises His Definition Of 'Rich': Some People 'Are Poor If They're Billionaires'

thinkprogress.org

In his interview with Politico yesterday, McCain again refused to give a number, saying that he defines rich “in other ways beside income.” He added that some people “are poor if they’re billionaires“:

He still did not give a number.

“I define rich in other ways besides income,” he said. “Some people are wealthy and rich in their lives and their children and their ability to educate them. Others are poor if they’re billionaires.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Out of touch? I would say most definitely!

In an interview with Politico yesterday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) was stumped when asked “how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own.” “I think — I’ll have my staff get to you,” replied McCain. Though his staff says “the correct answer is at least four,” the McCains actually own 10 houses.

So why is it McCain can not put a figure on what defines wealth? Ya ya I get the whole 'rich in love, luck, and happiness' but that is a semantic ploy to avoid answering a very real question on a very real and important topic.

Does McCain not want to say what he defines are rich to avoid labeling himself? Or is it to avoid talking about issues such as:

The Los Angeles Times reports today:

Where to draw the line among the nation’s wealthiest taxpayers is the central difference between rival tax blueprints that offer starkly differing formulas for reviving a faltering economy. […]

McCain’s plan would cater to wealthy taxpayers and corporations by extending and expanding President Bush’s tax cuts, slashing corporate taxes and weakening the estate tax, but it would also aid taxpayers across the board by making the full Bush cuts permanent.

Though McCain would get a $300,000 tax break if his proposals were enacted, middle class Americans would save only $319.

Ya I could see his avoiding to answer the question being a way to avoid having to explain how the richest .5% of the nation is going to be the ones who reap the benefits of his tax strategy. Oh and the fact that HE is part of that .5%.

The bottom line is that this man is wildly out of touch with what it is like to be an AVERAGE citizen of the USA. He seeks to continue to tax the poor and give to the rich. His interests and his 'base' are the same as Bush's and I can assure you this does NOT include you and me.

thinkprogress.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I saw McCain in that portion of broadcast, and he was disgusting. Defining everybody under $5M income as "poor" is either a sign that he's nuts, or doesn't give a damn about the problem.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well McCain's a Republican, and he knows what side his bread is buttered on.

Those poor starving billionaires - my heard bleeds, really

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Let's not forget that McCain is campaigning. The last thing he wants to do is draw attention to the economic position that his party the GOP, has put us into.

Soon McCain will be in a national debate and hopefully hard question on the economy will be placed to both candidates.

I guess if you are pleased with the way the economy and gas prices are going, perhaps McCain is your man.

I don't think the country can survive with the GOP economic model of barrow and spend.

mwhodges.home.att.net...

I find it ironic how RICH people try and down play the importance of money. Who do they think they are trying to kid???? We're not stupid,
We have to face real economic problems; not some academic Kensyen theories.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by whaaa]

[edit on 21-8-2008 by whaaa]

new topics

top topics

join