It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Dead Man Found with Pound of Cyanide in Denver"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Did I miss something or has this not been picked up yet by the MSM? Do any members from the Denver area have more information? What are the odds that another mentally ill person (anthrax case) had access to large amounts of a chemical compound with WMD capabilities? Not to mention this one was a foreign national - with no known contacts in Denver - two weeks before the Democratic Convention. This stinks.

www.ottawasun.com...

The mystery deepens in the case of an Ottawa man found dead in an upscale Denver hotel room -- a pound of highly toxic sodium cyanide in a jar beside him.

More than a week ago, Saleman Abdirahman Dirie, 29, told his Somalian family out of the blue that he was leaving to vacation in Denver.
On Monday, he was found in a fourth-floor room at the ritzy Burnsley Hotel about four blocks from the Colorado state Capitol. He had been dead for several days…

U.S. authorities -- including Denver Police, the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force -- were also trying to unravel the mystery.
Why Dirie had the substance in the first place is unclear and Denver Police are not calling the death a homicide, suicide or even suspicious.
They are conducting a death investigation but have found nothing to suggest foul play.

"It's an isolated incident," said Denver Police Det. John White. He said they are still waiting for the coroner's report to determine how to proceed but emphasized "it's still a very active investigation."
White said it's still too early to say whether Dirie's death was a suicide. The Denver medical examiner's office won't be able to determine whether cyanide killed Dirie until toxicology reports are done.

The FBI has been examining possible security issues, given that a foreign national was found dead with a hazardous substance, just two weeks before the start of the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

www.nowpublic.com...

Another question is , why would this man clearly out of the blue pick Denver to visit? It seems he had no friends there. What is someone with apparently no knowledge of chemistry, no friends in Denver, get a hold of a pound of Cyanide?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
www.thedenverchannel.com...

The Denver coroner said Thursday a man found dead in a downtown hotel room with a pound of highly toxic sodium cyanide nearby died from cyanide poisoning.

However, the medical examiner's office could not say if 29-year-old Saleman Abdirahman Dirie, of Ottawa, Canada killed himself.

His body was found Monday inside Room 408 at The Burnsley Hotel, which is about four blocks from the state…

The FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force is assisting in the investigation but FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright said the incident has no apparent connection to terrorism.

"You have a suspicious substance that was found in a hotel room in conjunction with person being a foreign national, and we have a lot of questions and that is why we are assisting," Wright told the Post.

An online threat posted in July by a man with a similar name warned of death. The blog discussed the killing of Christians in Somalia by Islamists. The person who posted on the blog was a Muslim who appeared to condemn Christians.

"Having the bible in one hand, and a bread in the other hand, is not a correct thing! Kill Them , Kill them, Kill them, that is my massage (sic),!" read the posting by Abdirahman Dirie on the 'Solmali's for Jesus' Blog.
It was not clear if Abdirahman Dirie and Saleman Abdirahman Dirie are the same person.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
www.nationalterroralert.com...

Let’s play connect the dots: start with a Somali Muslim living in Canada. Then have him travel to the city that in just a few days will be hosting the Democratic National Convention. Then have him die in a hotel room. Finally, have police search the room and find a POUND of cyanide — enough poison to kill a couple hundred people, if distributed and delivered properly.

Some lone nut? I’m not so sure. I did some checking, and the Burnsley Hotel — where Saleman Abdirahman Dirie died is NOT a cheap hotel. I just checked online, and rooms start at $199 a night. Mr. Dirie was in that room, dead, for six days before his body was found, so there’s about $1200 sunk into just rent. Toss in transportation and acquiring the cyanide and other expenses, and this was obviously no impulsive, fly-by-night operation.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Gee, I wonder how he died!

I doubt that someone that shortsighted would have found an optimal dispersion technique. But the death rate could still have been substantial.

Optimally dispersed I think thousands could have died.

Cyanide is not exceptional with regards to the amount needed to kill you, 200mg (0.2grams) is the accepted oral lethal dose for an average sized man.

So it comes to 2265 fatalities assuming no waste and 100 percent fatality best estimate of optimal distribution.

Thank darwin for survival of the fittest.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Assuming that he is not just some pigeon for the latest info-bomb on the American psyche in order to stir up fear before the election.

The only problem with that theory is that there has been little to no coverage of this on the MSM outlets. Even the Terrorism Task Force is bending over backwards to avoid any implications which, to me, is mind boggling.

There are only a few options:

A) A Foreign National can come to the U.S. and buy a pound of a deadly substance - no questions asked. Who sold it to him? Why?

B) Someone gave it to him. Who? Why?

Why was he in this room for six days without discovery? It's not the Motel 6.

Why are there a million U.S. citizens on the Terror Watch List - most for no reason - and yet this can happen?

[edit on 20/8/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Its not hard to make powdered cyanide into a gas and let it pump itself through the air conditioning system. The logistics can actualy be found quite easily. I won't link to a source for obvious reasons but just a bit of internet hunting will give you some pretty scary results. One pound of cyanide makes alot of lethal gas.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
What if the balloons at a convention were tainted with something like cyanide or anthrax inside them? What a nightmare! I can not even imagine what type of human being could do such a thing. If he was planning something evil, then karma just smacked him upside the head!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm glad he bought it before he could put it on the buffet. This does not bode well. I bet they triple beef security now.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Ah those wackos in Denver.

Hi all,

Here's a link to The Denver Post story:
www.denverpost.com...

Channel 7
www.thedenverchannel.com...

Interesting timing. It's being called suicide. I'm thinking murder set up.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I live an hour away from Denver and watch the news every day. I haven't heard a single thing about this.

Thanks for the links, DenverMan

I have the horrible feeling that the convention is really going to bring out the crazies. Brace yourselves, I know I will be.

Edited because SOMEONE needs to learn how to spell....and proofread.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Alora]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Maybe someone, who doesn't like Muslims, sold it to him and told him it was coc aine??
Maybe he went to Denver to get wild, and met up with the wrong drug dealer?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DenverMan

Thanks. Here are the most pertinent points from your second link:

...Investigators still have not said how Dirie obtained the cyanide, how he came to the United States, and why the Ottawa man was staying at a luxury hotel in Denver…

He had no money. Whoever gave him the money for that hotel may have also given him the cyanide. We need to find that person," Jamal told the Denver Post...

The upscale Burnsley Hotel is about two miles away from the Pepsi Center, where the DNC will be held from Aug. 25-Aug. 27.

Most likely the hotel had CCTV. If he was with anyone, the tape would show it if it wasn't already re-cycled during the six day lag time.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by DenverMan

Thanks. Here are the most pertinent points from your second link:

...Investigators still have not said how Dirie obtained the cyanide, how he came to the United States, and why the Ottawa man was staying at a luxury hotel in Denver…

He had no money. Whoever gave him the money for that hotel may have also given him the cyanide. We need to find that person," Jamal told the Denver Post...

The upscale Burnsley Hotel is about two miles away from the Pepsi Center, where the DNC will be held from Aug. 25-Aug. 27.

Most likely the hotel had CCTV. If he was with anyone, the tape would show it if it wasn't already re-cycled during the six day lag time.

Excellent point about CCTV.

I'm wondering if they will just call it a suicide to be done with it, hoping it will hasten its way out of our memories if we are all told that he succeeded in doing what he came to do?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Gee,

The guy was Muslim, or at least has a name of a Middle Eastern heritage, and just happened to be found in a hotel room in Denver a few weeks before the Convention, dead with a POUND of cyanide..

..it was probably more toxic than he realized, and perhaps just a tiny exposure, or even excessive vapors, couldve caused an accidental death.

good thing though. he obviously was up to no good, dont give me any "you're being anti-muslim" crap. I dont care if the guy was a Sikh Guru for crying outloud, anyone with a POUND of cyanide is up to no good .. no matter who.

At least this time we can say, by the grace of the one God the most high, this evil man has been struck down from interfering with the convention to kill politicians or the candidate .. because this would augment the divine plan, or divine will of God, which is one of the few times the God conciousness can override collective free will of man to ensure this or that happens or does not happen. This is the line I have preached since the beginning .. that God does not interfere with the daily hardships of man unless it involves the divine plan, at which point only the amount of intervention necessary is applied, this way the prophecies still occur one after another.

You may say this means God doesn't work on a personal level in individual's lives, because their problems do not affect the divine plan, and so these are left to their own free will. This is not correct, because the divine plan of God is so intricate that it applies to each and every one of our lives, regardless of how menial one person's life seems compared to another.

You may say .. how does this apply to people born mentally retarded, people born with down syndrome, and people born heavily autistic, how is God working on an individual level in their lives? Surely God would've made them "right" when they were born instead of into a body with a retarded brain etc. This is not correct. You see, each person is incarnated into this particular life at this particular time in this particular body for a particular set of reasons. Your soul, or spirit, knows exactly why it has come to Earth in the form which it is in, in the circumstances it is in, even if the person only lives for a short period of time. This applies even to babies that die a week after birth.

How? Well .. since we all have our cosmic reason for incarnating here in this form, if you are born mentally retarded or with downs syndrome, perhaps it was to bring shame to your parent(s) who caused this via their free will by doing drugs while pregnant with you, or doing drugs in the man's case during the time period of the woman becoming pregnant. Perhaps .. it is for another reason, who knows all the reasons? But does this not explain even STILLBORN? I rest my case, now that I have went on this unrelated tangent.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by runetang]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
What I find suspicous is a somalian whom has a pound of cyanide in an American city ISNT making MSM headlines as a possible terrorist related chemical attack.

think about this,

anything any everything that 'could' resemble a terrorist, or a chemical attack is plastered on the news the instant it breaks, for the obvious fear mongering it brings.

but when an ACTUAL chemical compound, and lots of it is found next to a dead somalian ( and remember, alot of dead insurgents in Iraq are found to be somalians ) it flies under the radar.

this is very unusual.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
On a semi related note:

McCain Office Mailed Threat, White Powder
Letter's Return Address Listed A Colorado Inmate; Second Letter Deemed False Alarm

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
A guy with no money and in a luxury hotel with a pound of cyanide.

Can you say courier, sure you can. Courier!

Even money says he thought it was drugs and sampled while he was waiting. How low do you need to get to pose as a drug dealer as a cover?

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I can say courier, good observation.
I didn't understand the last part though

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 4x4fun

You tell the courier he is running "Drugs" so he dosen't freak at being part of a massive scale terrorist plot. You don't want your courier freaking out!
And I imagine it costs a lot less to get someone non-connected with your operation to carry drugs than a pound of cyanide.
It's relatively easy to find a drug courier, you don't want to do a lot of interviewing to find a cyanide courier!

Who would not believe you when you tell them they are running drugs!

You give him a pound of cyanide, and send him off.

The dope, samples the dope and takes the big nap!

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Excellent hypothesis!

Obviously he didn't complete the delivery. So why didn't the interested parties go looking for him and/or try to recover the package in those six days?

But then they possibly weren't expecting too much activity with the package until closer to the convention.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join