It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FFXI: Anyone still playing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I've recently given up my WOW addiction and opted for something a little more old school.

Final Fantasy 11

This game is so much more enjoyable than i ever remembered it to be....

Anyone else ever played?

JbT

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I used to. Ive gone back about 3-4 times. First time I played a Paladin to lvl 50ish.

I guess I just never landed into (or put the effort in) a good link shell in my come-backs. I like to have static partys for leveling and each time I went back I never could find one, again, I didnt put in a hell of a lot of effort in my come-backs.

GREAT GAME. I often reminisce about how good of a MMO FFxi is with WoW guild mates and gamers alike. Though, I do have this love-hate thing for it. See, I know how much effort it takes to see the end game. I played around the release in North America and those days the level 50 caps and the level 60 caps were in their own right... very tough, very time consuming, almost like a Job - there was many times were I was at the keyboard for 10+ hours at a time... The word Epic comes to mind. But its the excellence of this game that keeps you at the key board, there is a hell of a lot of grinding - no question, but the desire to see the story through to the cut scenes is like no other game I have EVER played... Its EPIC.. In the end it was the effort it took to see the end that I quit.

To highlight that last point. I was reading the other day, the dev's introduced a new boss into the game that to this point has yet to be killed.... after 18 straight hours of one linkshell going through his different forms they calculated it would take another 5+ hours to kill him and quit the fight.... 18 straight hours. They said they were puking and getting sick at the keyboard from playing for too long.
www.joystiq.com...

"People were passing out and getting physically ill," guild leaders said. "We decided to end it before we risked turning into a horrible new story about how video games ruin people's lives."

I dream of the days there is a New FF-MMO, cause Im not sure I would go back for another retry. The game is far too along IMHO for me to catch up. Maybe Iam wrong and someone will come along and tell me its easier to start up again than I think.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by JbT]

JbT

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Hmm. wow. After doing some digging I for this for the next FF-MMO. Rumors of a 2009-2010 release.

xbox360.ign.com...

A next-generation MMO by acclaimed studio Square Enix by Final Fantasy XI producer Hiromichi Tanaka. The game is rumored to be an extension of or even sequel to FFXI, but whether the follow-up still relates to Vana'diel or perhaps another Final Fantasy saga or else takes place in an entirely different world (if it even carries the Final Fantasy moniker, which has not been officially confirmed) is entirely unknown. Concept footage of a MMO game expected to be this one was shown at an E3 2005 presentation for Microsoft, and the game is now planned for release on Xbox 360, PS3, and Vista-running PCs.

I might have to go back to FFxi just to get a fix now...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
That sounds interesting

I too gave up a long time addiction to WOW to go be addicted to FFXI --- again..

I have 4 lvl 70's on WOW - and ... well im just sick of playing

the great thing about FFXI is that its NOT repetitive in the sense that wow is

depending on where you start - you have a world of opportunity available to you.

if you wanna be a caster - start in windhurst
if you wanna be a fighter - start in sandoria
if you wanna be a crafter - start in bastok

you can start ANYWHERE you want - but the premise is the same that each starting point has something for each type of player that no other starting point does

when you die - you LOOSE exp
that gives parties an incentive to not wipe

The fights are harder
the game literally forces you into a group mindset, so the people are much much much nicer

everything about FFXI - except for the graphics and sound - totally trumps WOW

But WOW is easy. WOW is fun. Thats what makes it appeal to the masses

Personally - i love fighting my butt off to get to lvl 75. It gives you a serious feeling of accomplishment

top topics

join