It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia war shows Russian army strong but flawed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Crude? You obviously forgot to mentioned the swanky autoloader that allows it to fire reaaaally quick:

Isn't that the same one that's been known to snip off the loaders arm if he's not quick enough?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Comparing the Russian military in a large action as to just a couple battalions in Georgia is ridiculous... A ship load of drunken marines could take Georgia.

This was nothing more than an exercise with live rounds. Russia is backward in many ways. I absolutely hate their form of government regardless of what you call it now, it's communistic at the very best and dictatorial in it's basic form. Their economy is propped up by high oil and gas prices, while corruption is rampant at every level.

They have a large military in different stage of disorganization and large naval and air force in selective forms of decay. They have many proven weapon systems and some not tested by well trained personnel.

Overall, just a bad state of affairs. They have resources to sell and buyers lined up. They want to be respected not realizing the world passed them by while they have been hibernating. Well... the bear has awaken and he is hungry.

I do, however, have the utmost respect for their soldiers. They know how to fight and will fight. This has been proven time and time again with their history. We have strong technology that overcomes their manpower. This is our only advantage but we use it very well.

Every military has flaws, including our armed forces that re-learns terrorist tactics every day with something new and unexpected. The Russians will learn from their mistakes, just as we learn from ours.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Why do people insist in writing garbage like this?

If someone actually wrote an article of this nature on ATS they would be ripped to shreds but if the main stream media does it, its all OK?

SS-N-22?
SS-N-27?
T-90?
SU-30?
Igla-1S?
S-500?
RPG-32?

Yeah, that's a whole big barrel of harmless right there.
Good job that the first thing the Russian military does is deploy all of their shiny toys at the first opportunity when all they really need is a few thousand men and a couple of old t-80's to do the job...

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Absence of Self]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
They are pretty good at subterfuge and camoflage , as this person in Georgia ( USA) probably thought .

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Bunch, I agree with your assesment, regarding tactics used by the Georgian's.

I believe that Shaskavilli let himself be baited into a toe to toe standoff with Russia. Bad idea, as his forces are no match for the Russinas in that scenario.

Total mistake pointing to inexperience and overconfidence. The Russians were playing a game they are well versed at, and knew that this young leader had overestimated his capabilities while understating theirs...

In my opinion, until the first punch was thrown, Russia was quite happy to allow that thinking to go unchecked.

edit for spelling

[edit on 21-8-2008 by deadbang]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Plucky, thanks!...and it's always been that way I believe...in any conflict with the Russians, at some point you better expect to see the kitchen sink getting thrown into the fight...

Whereas the U.S. attempts (notice, I said attempt) to leave the houses on either side of the bomb crater standing, the Russians won't hesitate (if history is any lesson) to level the whole neighborhood.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Agit8, Agreed, we probably did NOT see the best Russia has to offer (hardware), what I think is important is that we did see their tactics, their thinking..and it does not seem to have changed...to me this was important for NATO...alot of speculation has been swirling around over the last few years as to the REAL capabilities of Russia...

We now know that brute force and overwhelming numbers are still an intergal part of their battle plan...

Tanks...I will leave to you...not my forte'

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Fortunately for the US, Russia is no match--not even close. Our black projects have actuallye grown since the end of the cold war. However, the Russians heavy handed tactics by carpet bombing civilian areas is scaring the hell out of a lot of Europeans.

The Russians made a strong strategic move here. They are not leaving Georgia unless they absolutely have to. Their goal is to control all of the oil going into Europe. The last 3 pipelines not in Russian control are in Georgia and they already destroyed one of them.

If they can control %100 of the oil in Europe and scare the hell out of everyone in the process, they believe they can control Europe, force their will and disolve NATO. If so, in a short time most of Europe will be under Russian control. Then they can isolate the US but this is years away.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Hinky, I think the bigggest advantage the Russians got from this field excersise was battle testing their troops.

While their troops have been at home in the barracks, the Western Alliances have been in the field, training and using their weapon systems on a daily basis.

The key to a successful engagement is having a force that is familiar with their weapon systems,... how to use, repair, and "field upgrade" them...and this only comes from taking them into the field.

Tactics surrounding the use of those weapons is equally important and once again...the field is the only place to take ideas from the drawing board to the real world.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Russia can put sattelites in orbit, build nukes and has subs... im pretty sure that what ever tech they sent into Georgia isnt their best stuff...

Id be more asking, how did a nation like Georgia shoot down jets?
I think the US Supplied more than M16's and training!

Why not? Would you send guys into combat with second rate equipment? That doesn't make sense, unless you're looking to commit suicide.

It would be on par with the US fighting in Iraq with Shermans.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gun Totin Gerbil

Gerbil, that reminds me of the photos of Bush and Putin that folks were attributing quotes to...the one where Bush says buncha redneck, hillbilly...oh that Georgia..

L'dMAO!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join