It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of a huge UFO or atmospheric phenomena?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Hey all,

What do you make of this? I watched it a few times over and it has me undecided. For atmospheric phenomena, its very defined. Possibly a lenticular cloud with the sun directly behind lighting them up or perhaps CGI (although its not obvious). Its good video regardless.

www.youtube.com...

Th9nker

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

different perspectives too, hmm

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Looks 'very' similar to one I saw in NM several years ago. This one seems to be having some trouble though. I like the little round probe down at the bottom left of the main craft if that is what it is, that is where the main crew would go during a 'problem' like the main craft is exibiting.

My 2c is that yes it is a UFO. But then I may be a bit bias.

Edit to say, oops stage left, video right...

[edit on 20-8-2008 by antar]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think you are right about the lenticular cloud or at least the top shelf of a thunderstorm. Seems to be a fairly high one as well. My guess would be that it has a higher than normal amount of ice in it causing the high reflectivity. Yeah, maybe the cap of a thunderhead. Good thing no detail was needed to figure help figure this out - video is YouTubed to death.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
cool. has this kind of thing been seen before? i do not think i have ever read about something like this.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I don't know what a lenticular cloud is but the OP says the sun would be behind it to illuminate it like that. At 0:22 of the first vid a setting sun is observed? Does this change the lenticular cloud theory. Just throwing it out there.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Th8nker, thanks for sharing

I've brought this thread to Essan's attention: he's an expert in the stuff related to clouds and atmospheric phenomena: i look forward to read his opinion about it.

[edit on 20/8/2008 by internos]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
what ever it is it is radiating and lighting up the cloud underneath it

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Wasn't there a report by some airline pilots a few months back about seeing a mile wide, luminous green/yellow ufo somewhere over in the UK?

I'm sorry I can't remember the details. Maybe someone else can chip in?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Most likely a lenticular cloud.

Lenticular clouds, technically known as alto cumulus standing lenticularis, are stationary lens-shaped clouds that form at high altitudes, normally aligned at right-angles to the wind direction. They have been mistaken for UFOs (or “visual cover” for UFOs) because these clouds have a characteristic lens appearance and smooth saucer-like shape.

www.tagbanger.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It's a short clip and, after it closes in on the cloud which appears to be glowing, it does not pan back out to give better context. It would of course also be useful to know time of day and direction the film was taken.

My guess is that this is an effect of the sun shining from behind a congestus or cumulonimbus (thunder) cloud. The glow around the edges of the lower part of the cloud would support that conjecture. The upper part of the cloud - the alleged UFO - could simply be a lenticular (as Mike suggests) or, perhaps more likely given it's association with other clouds, pileus - in either case, situated above the main cloud, reflecting the low sun, and appearing much brighter than it really was due to the poor quality of the camera used. However there is insufficient detail to say for sure.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Compare with this picture of pileus from The Cloud Appreciation Society website:

www.cloudappreciationsociety.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
That's pretty cool, kinda reminds me of this one except this is at night.

Link

[edit on 20/8/08 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Thanks Essan: it's always a good idea to call you whenever we have stuff like this one

There's another photo in that website which shows a very similar "self illumination" effect: Link

I wrote to the uploader asking him if the sighting was covered by some local newspaper, and if there are more images available somewhere: i hope he will reply.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I see that kind of cloud a lot of times, those occur in the evening when the sun is directly behind the clouds and the at the clouds edges the thickness of the cloud is less and more light from below the clouds might try to pass over there causing this glow, sometimes I get to see rainbow colours.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

from wyoming
isn't that where devil's peak is where they filmed the climax of Close Encounters of the 3rd kind?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Whatever these are, they are extremely interesting. Thanks for sharing. We once had these over our house and we could see them light up for a long time and it was quite a show. There was no sound at all.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Thanks for all the posts on this. Its great to get other points of view on these matters. I've thought about this one for a few hours and judging by the way the sun is located in the sky lighting up the other clouds from behind, I think this is probably atmospheric. It still looks pretty cool. I'm living in Oxford, England and we get some superb (almost unreal!) sunrises and sunsets out here but none like this. The comment by d2che about UK pilots seeing a huge glowing yellow ship and a mile wide had alarm bells ringing in my ears and I think thats prompted me to put this one up. Still, I'm open to all suggestions. I can't prove or disprove my stance on this.

Th9nker

top topics

join