It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The strange experience while thinking about existence...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This one is pretty weird, i've had it only about two or three times before while thinking about existence, it feels hugely profound and strange at the same time, almost like i was close to or had the answer but at the exact moment i had it it was blocked or something, perhaps its like a thought that creates a paradox, its hard to describe and hard to reproduce, im unsure of exactly what thought process triggers it but ill try to give a general idea.

Basically you have to think about existence and how you can only think by existing and everything exists and seems normal yet at the same time is so mysterious, keep going along these lines for a while and you may get it but like i said its hard to describe the exact thought process because i seem to forget a fraction of a second later!

Has anyone else experienced this?

If not try it and see because i hope im not the only one!

[edit on 19/8/08 by just theory]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
There's a cure for this disorder, but I'm afraid they may have to throw you in a white padded room for 60 days to get a full diagnosis. Please go check yourself into the nearest mental home asap.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by chetinglendalevillage

So whats this disorder called, best to let them know so i can give myself a head start eh?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I know of the thought prosses you are talking about, done it many times, allways get the whoa moment and soon forget what it was that made me use the outloud WHOA (the lond drawn out one) start thinking about micro-organisms and progressivly up to our preseant form and beyond; at the same time the finite point we inhabit in the universe and all the other points of posible habitation and thier forms.

just one of the tracks you can go on.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The beauty and wierdness of the IS on a quantum atomic level is enough to make anybodys head spin

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I always get upset, having that feeling of being on the verge of a massive emotional breakthrough, and suddenly I feel like my thoughts walk up on an electric fence. As quickly as the thoughts build, and multiply into the avenues of clarity comes the feeling something has derailed the entire message.

Kind of like the day I fell in love with the artwork of Mark Lombardi. I thought by studying his art the mysteries of political corruption and bank scandals would be solved and done away with... the next month he was dead of an apparent suicide. I was crushed and so was that vision...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Synchronsity!

Just recently posted about it here and thought of making a seperate thread about it Here.

Only do you people have trains of thoughts that felt very profound only to 'snap out of it' and forget what you where thinking about? It happens on more or less the same level of (un)consciousness. I would think about something for about 5 minutes before i realize i'm thinking about something and forget the thought that kept me preoccupied. Pretty irritating.

It's not only when i will myself to think about existence but also when i let my mind wonder, slip away and 'snap out of it' not knowing what the heck i was thinking about.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Harman]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by just theory
...while thinking about existence, it feels hugely profound and strange at the same time, almost like i was close to or had the answer but at the exact moment i had it it was blocked or something...

Coincidentally I was going to start a new thread about a similar experience I've had a myriad times while contemplating abstract concepts like the Universe, God, etc.

Take for example the idea of the Universe. What seems to happen from my experience is that you start to conceptualize these thoughts, images, sounds, etc., of a stellar-black landscape stretching into infinity dotted with billions of scintilating stars. You mind trails on moving through this landscape at incredible speeds and suddenly you get to a point where you just can't get past.

I've speculated that perhaps as a human with finite intelligence, I'm somehow arriving at the far reaches of where the human brain can function. Sort of like reaching the end of a dead-end street. You feel compelled to move past this point but you just can't do it. Something is "blocking" you and then you forget.

Some people I know have said this is analogous of being in The Matrix. Or its a phenomenon related to the soul trying to ascend (i.e., 2012).

But let me put down this pipe now and see if anyone else has had a similar experience or can possibly shed some light into what this is all about.

join