It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite cease-fire, Russia digs in in Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Despite cease-fire, Russia digs in in Georgia

www.iht.com

TBILISI, Georgia: Although Russia pledged that it would begin withdrawing its troops from Georgia, Russian soldiers were digging in
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 8/18/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
As most news sources are reporting Russia's withdrawal from Georgia, Russian Troops and armor divisions are busy digging in!,What game is Russia playing? with SS-21's aimed at the capital, demanding a regime change!
It is Hardball time with bench-warmer bush plus the west, and it's batter-up!

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Seems quite relevant ,maybe Russia's not leaving until Saakasvili does!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It just could be that Russia can't control it's troops.They are stealing goods far better than anything they have ever seen.Probably eating better too. why go home?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think there is a more calculated approach to Russia's behavior,they have effectively surrounded the capital,and probably want Saakasvili out,yet the media doesn't even know if Saakisvili is even there,for all people know he is at the Bush ranch .Georgia can say goodbye to South Ossetia,I'm sure this will be a major issue in the days and weeks to come. This may be a classic Mexican stand-off (showdown) , the likes of which we have not seen since the Cuban missile crisis.East vs West. Very scary if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
And people said this thing is winding down. It is winding up, for something big. As soon as the rhetoric changes to "America to the rescue!" it is time to head for the mountains and hide.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Ya especially when the USA couldn't afford the credit for another war! It will be interesting to see what decision was made at the emergency NATO meeting,I can't believe this conflict isn't huge in the news, This can change our world FOREVER

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The ceasefire outlined by zarcozy has no time line for a Russian with-drawl,yet details the Russians to enact a peace keeping force,to maintain order,it is very fuzzy to say the least,and quite possibly Russian forces won't be completely out of Georgian for weeks or even months.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Sad, as i have become the main poster on my own thread,but this topic is geopolitically relevant. As Russia US/NATO relations sour ,Russian forces occupying Georgia tighten their grip on the country, economically strangling it. Armenia next?

[edit on 20-8-2008 by all2human]

[edit on 20-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
deleted

[edit on 26-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Russia still hasn't officially withdrawn,Russian President Medvedev is declaring Saakishvili a "political corpse" it is clear the Russian army may not pull-back until there is a regime change n Georgia.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by all2human]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

I think "political corpse" is a reference to Saakashvili loosing his face as a respected politician, and being shunned on the international politics area. Thus as far as Russia is concerned, he is a "political corpse" and Russia will not treat him as a serious politician in any future negotiations. Russia is now carefull in speaking about Saakashvili's regime after earlier it was accused of trying to instute a regime change when it stated that "it wouldn't hurt if Saakashvili was ousted".

As for digging in - so far Russian outposts remain only in Gori. According to Russia this is to oversee the aid being delivered to Georgia through there. Still they should withdraw as soon as possible - because realistically they can't remain there for a long time, and the sooner they do it the quicker this "affair" will be over with.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
reply to post by all2human

"the sooner they do it the quicker this "affair" will be over with".

I don't think this affair will be over anytime soon,there still is the issue of South Osesstia and Abkhazia.
Georgia is were the will and ego of NATO and Russia are still to this day standing-off.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by all2human]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
For whom is SO and Abkhazia and issue? Saakashvili is ultimately better off letting them go if he wants to join NATO - because their breakaway status is what prevented Georgia's admission. And at this point is it highly unlikely that there is a chance for them to ever be "reunited" with Georgia - there is just too much hate and antagonism. Georgians are pretty much tired of the issue and of wars, and I would presume that many don't care about SO and Abkhazia anymore.

The only people who are truly victims now - are the Georgian refugees who used to live in South Ossetia, and who fled when the recent fighting started. SO might not let them come back now, and if it does who will guarantee their safety? This is a problem that is not easy to solve, and that I feel will not be solved.

There are many unanswered questions, but at least the threat of renewed violance is very low. Either way, I feel that Russia must fully withdraw from undisputed Georgia as soon as possible - for the good of everyone involved. Their presence in Gori is no longer necessary to insure that Georgia doesn't attack again. And the buffer zone is a moot point, given that any future attacks by Georgia would simply be suicide.

There might be something else at play - which is why the Russians are staying in Gori. I have no idea as to what it is. Perhaps they see their continued presence in the new buffer zone as standing in the way of Georgia entering NATO. As long as Russian troops are there - NATO will hold back, and Georgia cannot do anything. But how long can this possibly work? Saakashvili cemented his position in power, and the opposition has little chance of overthrowing him. So they won't wait him out.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
"For whom is SO and Abkhazia and issue?"

Haven't you considered there are Georgian nationals that live in these territories,what is to become of them?maybe they need rescueing
,and surely this will be an issue with the current/next presidency.Most of the international community has opposed Russia on this issue.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by all2human]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
Haven't you considered there are Georgian nationals that live in these territories,what is to become of them?

Of course, and I mentioned them in my post (Georgian refugees). At this point I don't see who will be able to speak up for them. S Ossetians no longer want to live with Georgians after what happened. Russia simply doesn't care. And Georgia does not have the power to do anything.

For now those Georgians who stayed in their villages in S Ossetia are not being touched and are fairly safe (at least for now). But from what I hear those who left aren't being allowed to come back yet by the S Ossetian government. Yes - these refugees are the victims of the war. But they were also betrayed by Saakashvili. Starting this war, he knew that if Georgia lost, than the remaining Georgians in S Ossetia may very likely be "evicted". I don't agree with that - but that is how these ethnic conflics end. Same thing happened in Kosovo with Serbian and Roma refugees.

and surely this will be an issue with the current/next presidency.

It will be an issue - but the Georgian leadership is now powerless, at least for many years to come. There was a similar problem when the first Ossetian War and Abkhazian Wars ended with Georgia's defeat in the 90's. At that time many blamed Gamzakhurdia and Shevarnadze (Georgian presidents) for "letting down" the local Georgians. Tens of thousands were forced to flee back then, and they never came back. I don't rule out that the same will happen this time around.

Most of the international community has opposed Russia on this issue.

I would say that much of internation community doesn't care about these refugees. It "cares" about a lot of things, but this is just not their priority.

And how is Russia to blame? Yes it turns the blind eye on these "evictions", but it was Georgia who broke the peace. Sure recognizing S Ossetia and Abkhazia as sovereign, doesn't help the issue. But then what does it change? Perhaps if S Ossetian government is treated by the international community as sovereign, than maybe it would be willing to adopt less strict measures in dealing with these displaced people.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by maloy]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
It's shell and chess game. Russia will NOT allow its borders surrounded with missile systems. Even a small cat can be a formidable foe cornered against a big dog. Many many things are being played out now like the ultimate Risk game. The impending strike on Iran is heating things to the boiling point.
So much for looking into Putin's eyes and seeing his soul. w's now looking at cross hairs and a 50 cal.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...
Russians 'agree Georgia deadline

'From external source:

"Russia says the deal allows it to keep peacekeepers in several buffer zones around two breakaway Georgian regions which it has recognized as independent"

This is far from a total withdrawal.
I can safely say Georgia has officially lost South Ossetia and Abkhazia

and quite possibly NATO membership.
Saakasvili is probably finished.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by all2human]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
MAD still exists so what is usa going to do really to russia. I doubt that much, even though america pretends that russia aren't that much.

top topics

join