It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Philosophy of Bruce Lee [video]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
A look into the mind and philosophy of Bruce Lee...

Excerpts from : Bruce Lee - The "Lost" Interview (The Pierre Berton Show - 9 December 1971) An unedited 25 minute interview with Bruce Lee (1940-1973)

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup , it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. (Timecode 15:34)

Under the sky, under the heaven, man there is but one family. It just so happens man, people are different. (Timecode 23:51)

Google Video Link

Adaptation and being true to yourself are good keys to a successful life. I hope you get something out of this.

(Here is a 3 minute cutdown and sexed up version for people with a short attension span. www.youtube.com...)

Enjoy.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by TrueLight]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Here is some reading about Bruce Lee and his philosophy...

Source= en.wikiquote.org...

There is no such thing as maturity. There is instead an ever-evolving process of maturing. Because when there is a maturity, there is a conclusion and a cessation. That’s the end. That’s when the coffin is closed. You might be deteriorating physically in the long process of aging, but your personal process of daily discovery is ongoing. You continue to learn more and more about yourself every day.

There are many more good quotes from the above link.

Best Wishes.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by TrueLight]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hey Truelight,

There's one thing Bruce Lee says that makes me a little disappointed in his understanding of Tai Chi. He said it was an exercise mainly for old people. He didn't show any understand of Tai Chi's true Martial potential, origin, and form. In fact, there's a whole concept of moving slowly increasing your natural speed when in an actual fight situation.

Because you are perfecting the movements so meticulously by going so slowly, when combined with such repitition of the forms, you develop a higher level of skill and ability. An analogy would be using slow motion technology to judge a fight/sport/game; if there were no slow motion replays, the judges would simply be unable to make certain correct calls, history as we know it would be completely different. The Buffalo Bills would've won the Superbowl at least once. So this going slow is actually deceptive.

But, considering Bruce was from the south of China, thus speaking Cantonese as he explains, he naturally would be more enveloped in the Southern Chinese styles more than the Northern styles which include these softer styles, like Tai Chi (Wu Dang). I know he learned Wing Chun from Ip Man, and learned a few different styles from other Asian countries, as well as Fencing from Europe and Boxing from Europe/USA, and then developed his own "Jeet Kune Do", or Intercepting Fist "style".

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
Hey Truelight,

There's one thing Bruce Lee says that makes me a little disappointed in his understanding of Tai Chi. He said it was an exercise mainly for old people. He didn't show any understand of Tai Chi's true Martial potential, origin, and form. In fact, there's a whole concept of moving slowly increasing your natural speed when in an actual fight situation.

I just wanted to touch upon this part of your reply runetang.
I agree with you. I read in a book I have on it that it says it is a fighting art. A deadly one too,asides from the obvious health benefits. Apparently the originator of one of the styles killed over 100 people with it. You know more than I, I expect, that was from memory. The push-hands or dragon prawn boxing is used for increasing speed isn't it. The opinions of Bruce Lee don't necessarily represent my own. I just thought it would be a nice thing to look into. Great post though, thanks, I starred it.

Best Wishes.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A brilliant video of a man who worked so hard to bridge the cultural and racial divides, sharing his wisdom, during his tragically short life. If only there were more people like him.

Thanks for the vid

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terran Blue
A brilliant video of a man who worked so hard to bridge the cultural and racial divides, sharing his wisdom, during his tragically short life. If only there were more people like him.

Thanks for the vid

You are most welcome
did you get a chance to have a look at the link I left above? Lots of very nice quotes.

en.wikiquote.org...

Liberate yourself from concepts and see the truth with your own eyes. — It exists HERE and NOW; it requires only one thing to see it: openness, freedom — the freedom to be open and not tethered by any ideas, concepts, etc. ... When our mind is tranquil, there will be an occasional pause to its feverish activities, there will be a let-go, and it is only then in the interval between two thoughts that a flash of UNDERSTANDING — understanding, which is not thought — can take place.

Best Wishes.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If I could star you 100 times I would
synchronicity has just smacked me hard in the face. I landed on this page by chance and I happen to have chosen your name too! sorry about that!

That interview video is great Ive often had it on a profile somewhere!

I was born the year he died strangely enough. I have a similar physique and abs, people who like BL have often commented on it with me. Not only that.. there is a 'House Lee' chinese take away right across the street
haha. I always have felt a connection with him.. leo star sign too so cats are always a part of my life.. coincidently I was given an awesome cat too. lol.

I do want to take up a class but I still have to find one I fancy. Was thinking of Wing Chun cause I know a place.

I have a book on BL philosophy by John Little? The warrior within

www.amazon.com...

I'l post some stuff from it later.

Peace

[edit on 3-9-2008 by True-Light]

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
empty your mind, be formless, shapeless
have no style

freedom lies in understanding yourself from moment to moment

edit on 29-4-2012 by bestintentions because: t

top topics