It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would it take for you to believe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I have considered myself a Skeptical-Believer. What I mean by that is I am a believer in the existense of Alien Life, where I start to turn skeptical is when faced with the question "are we being visited by Aliens"

I want to believe that we are being visited but with the overwhelming amount of hoaxes out there I find it hard to believe in anything I didn't see firsthand. I am pretty sure that if there is Alien life out there and if they are far more advanced then we are and have developed a way to travel the vast distance in space. Then I am sure they would visit us, just like we vistit zoos, just for pure curiosity. So for me to be 100% convinced we are being visited, I am sorry to say it would have to be a personal sighting of a large scale event.

I guess I am soiled in my views because of the vast number of hoaxes and I am not happy about that.

So my question to you is what would it take for you to be convinced beyond any doubt that we are being visited by Alien life? That is if you are not already 100% convinced and if your are, what was your defining moment?

[edit on 16-8-2008 by jwstarry]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
At a relatively early age I learned not to dismiss other peoples' experiences due to having my own. The Green Light UFO

To this day I do not know what that was, and no one has presented a good explanation. I have always been an avid reader, and have always been fairly open-minded. As an adolescent and teenager, I began to read books like Chariots of the Gods (which oddly enough was included in my HS library), The Book of the Damned, and other books about UFOs, cryptozoology, and unexplained phenomena.

I suppose I have been a "believer" of sorts since that first UFO encounter, and many things have pushed me towards the belief that something is out there. However, I still don't claim to know - or be 100% convinced - what that something is.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here is my "logical" thought process on the matter. If you added up all the witnesses of UFOs, aliens, ghosts, cryptids, and other anomalies, how many people would that be? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? So if none of it is real, what did they all experience? Personally, it boils down to one of two possibilities:

1) A significant percentage of humans are psychotic, delusional, etc. and regularly experience hallucinations.

2) At least some of these experiences are real.

If 1) is true, then a significant number of human beings can't trust their senses and don't know what's real anyway. An uncomfortable hypothesis, since by virtue of having had a few experiences, I'm one of them.

If 2) is true, then something is indeed out there, and no one seems to have a definitive answer for what that "something(s)" is.

Personally, I prefer 2) and I spend a fair portion of my leisure time pursuing stories and evidence, learning more about all types of "anomalies" and trying to figure out what is out there. According to my current beliefs, there is quite a lot that we humans don't understand or know, and I always like to be one that knows things that other people don't.

I don't like labels or stereotypes, but I guess I have to go to the believers' side of the fence if I'm not allowed to sit on it, and what I wrote above is why.

Edit to actually answer your question:

To be 100% convinced, I would want to see a live alien, a body, a physical ship (or pieces of one) that was proven by analysis to be extraterrestrial, a DNA sample from an alien, or an "officially" endorsed communication from aliens.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Heike]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Heike

Thank you very much for that post, that was the sort of information and insight to personal belief structure I was hoping for. I was hoping to get more but this post died quick. I appreciate your post thanks.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
For me, the answer is no less than a ID4 type situation. Not necessarily an invasion mind you, but that kind of event none the less. A massive undeniable mass landing.

new topics

top topics

join