It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

massive media boycott anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I think just about everyone that is on this sight daily can tell me how much the MSM twists the truth. I'm getting more and more fed up with the bs everyday. We come to this site to discuss and debate over issues that interest us but if you had the power to change something by doing less of something, would you? I'm talking about a massive media boycott, ofcourse you know that they get payed for every pair of eyes that watches, and ad costs increase as the ratings do. So why not just ask people to stop watching fox, cnn, msnbc, etc... I think that even everyday normal Americans realize the nonsence we're being fed, and why watch it if we gain nothing from it, lets just make it a non-issue. We can all get our news from a alternative source. Hell, we can ask people around the world that get caught in the middle of a "breaking news" situation to explain the facts and only the facts, to the best of their knowledge.
so tell me, is this possible, and if so who would be willing to get other people to boycott. would anyone put this on other websites to spread the word. there is power in numbers!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
That's a great idea! Now, if only we could get everyone to tag along... woo, this is gonna be a tough one...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The key is motivation and it comes when you've reached a certain level of awareness. It is only logical to turn your back on those who suppress knowledge that are essential to understanding everything. Teach those that are uninformed and when they are not yet ready, let them come on their own terms.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Here's an idea to get the boycott started...

Get 100 people in five major cities to hit the yard sales, thrift stores etc this weekend, and buy 1-2 crappy old tvs. This would cost $20 max.

Now then, spray paint, sharpie marker, whatever...'STOP THE LIES' on these junk sets. Perhaps even print up a page with a list of several blatant lies, use clear packing tape and laminate it to the screen.
I would put this youtube link on the page.

How To Create An Angry American

The message is ready to deliver!

Sunday night 500-1000 worthless televisions to be delivered to a predetermined propaganda station in each of the five cities. The parking lot or front door would be a fine place to leave this message.
A phone call then should be made to the big local newspaper, who will just eat this story up. heheh

Bingo!!! Major coverage, and perhaps others would deliver their message the following days, weeks, months, until our voices are heard.

STOP THE LIES!

MSM is equally complicit in the corrupt takeover of our once great republic!

C'mon MSM do your job...report the truth. I DARE you cowards to just do your damn job!

Well just one of my early morning thoughts...

[edit on 16-8-2008 by TaZCoN]

[edit on 16-8-2008 by TaZCoN]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
**Update**

I found a cheap 13" tv at a yard sale this afternoon...

Bought it for $10, and I'm in the process of gathering various links from the net to be printed out, and taped to the screen.

Hopefully by next weekend some friends will do the same, and we can deliver the message in our small corner of the world.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by declassified
I think just about everyone that is on this sight daily can tell me how much the MSM twists the truth. I'm getting more and more fed up with the bs everyday. We come to this site to discuss and debate over issues that interest us but if you had the power to change something by doing less of something, would you? I'm talking about a massive media boycott, ofcourse you know that they get payed for every pair of eyes that watches, and ad costs increase as the ratings do. So why not just ask people to stop watching fox, cnn, msnbc, etc... I think that even everyday normal Americans realize the nonsence we're being fed, and why watch it if we gain nothing from it, lets just make it a non-issue. We can all get our news from a alternative source. Hell, we can ask people around the world that get caught in the middle of a "breaking news" situation to explain the facts and only the facts, to the best of their knowledge.
so tell me, is this possible, and if so who would be willing to get other people to boycott. would anyone put this on other websites to spread the word. there is power in numbers!

Its your opinion of how you percieve the media.But no one is going to tell me what to watch or not.I can make up my own mind when it comes to politics,and religion.Im allowed to change my mind if i so wish with NO reprecussions from the state OR my fellow citizens.If want to watch FOX news im going to.If im going to check the Daily Kaos i will.If i want to blog on CNN ill do it no matter what anybody says and make up my mind on issues.
So have fun cutting yourself off from the world and have a narrow view on things.Not my idea of fun.As a matter of fact if Western media sucks so bad and you dont like it why dont you move to Russia and check it out for yourself.Maybe youll be able to say "Hey Putin stop threatening people with nuclear weapons."------yeah right.See you in Siberia,if the KGB..er FSB doesnt kill you first.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by declassified

Ah, to be young and full of spit and vinegar.

Let's assume for a moment that all of us at ATS did what you are suggesting. It wouldn't register a blip on their ratings.
Also that's a pretty big assumption, ATS members are not usually what you would call "doers".
We take an approach which to the untrained eye looks lethargic, whereas it is in fact plain lazy. We like to point things out, which you did very well, then leave it in the hands of others, safe in the knowledge that we did our part.

Alternatively, you can do what a lot of us do and embrace the following mantra:

Expectations are the building blocks of Disappointment.

Sure, a tiny piece of your soul is lost every time you embrace this, but you don't run around being let down by everything all the time.

If you are up to it, I invite you to explore the OP on the Media link in my signature, there you will find a comprehensive dissection, which at the very least may give you a more realistic overview of the industry.

If you search around the threads, you will also find threads that compile independent media sources through which you can get all the news and information you need. Thus severing your dependence from an industry who's priorities are not to inform you.

[edit on 8/17/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Spit and Vinegar is not a bad thing

A revolution of mind is happening already

I think it is a GREAT IDEA that needs to be set up a bit more so that more people CAN participate....

You cant change the world by yourself but you can change your corner of it and in our new global www communities we can change the world if we simply have the courage to change our corner of it~!

Let me know if you want to organize an EVENT with a date set with other interested parties.

Personally on my TV I would want to leave on the door of the local affiliates would be less likely to bash them than to ask them to WAKE THE F@CK UP~!

I agree with OP ~DO THEIR JOBS ~ report news GOOD and bad, the damn yellow journalistic techniques that caused the ban on marijuana is now causing a ban on TRUTH

I dont give a damn about the olsen tiwns or britney or whoever hilton unless they are doing altrustic acts they DO NOT DESERVE MEDIA ATTENTION I dont care who they sleep with or sue and neither should you... that is GOSSIP not news reporting and it is stacked in the favor of NEGATIVITY to feed your fears...

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

FEAR NOT

YOU can make a difference everytime if you try and never if you dont~!

Optimistic positive change man YOU ROCK~!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Rockin idea OP. I'll gladly get down on an EVENT if you guys want to try and organize it. The more we can display the dissatisfaction the better, IMO. Hit me up, my email addy should be on my profile page, you can also hit me at [email protected] if you guys want to try to coordinate something.

Props, OP!

Starred and flagged too bro cause I'd like to see this grow

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Taj Mikel]

top topics

join