It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head/brain buzzes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I always had these random head buzzes where my vision would just completely bug out as if like my eyes shot directly from bottom left to top right in a split second, and i can literally feel a buzz in my brain as if somone shocked it.

I ALWAYS thought as a kid, these buzzes meant something to me, because they would only happen when something would click in my mind, when i'd see the big picture about something that had been hidden from me the whole time.

Come to think of it, it's only been this past year i've stopped encountering these buzzes. i recall getting them before college (sept 07), dropped out in october 07 because i didnt like the program, and since then until now is when i've started opening my mind to these sorts of 'conspiracies' reading up on whats really happening and how the timelines function... and most importantly believing it and accepting it. not even accepting it, realizing that THATS how it is.

call me crazy but the way i look at it, is me from the future trying to influence my life today. maybe i took a different path in life and didn't open my mind to believing. then later on in life suffered the consequences of it, but was able to go back and change my mindset on things by subtlety giving myself this 'buzz', once i figured something out for what it truely was. sort of a flag to let myself know im on the right path.

Now hopefully others have experienced the same thing..

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO

I always had these random head buzzes where my vision would just completely bug out as if like my eyes shot directly from bottom left to top right in a split second, and i can literally feel a buzz in my brain as if somone shocked it.

I ALWAYS thought as a kid, these buzzes meant something to me, because they would only happen when something would click in my mind, when i'd see the big picture about something that had been hidden from me the whole time.

Come to think of it, it's only been this past year i've stopped encountering these buzzes. i recall getting them before college (sept 07), dropped out in october 07 because i didnt like the program, and since then until now is when i've started opening my mind to these sorts of 'conspiracies' reading up on whats really happening and how the timelines function... and most importantly believing it and accepting it. not even accepting it, realizing that THATS how it is.

call me crazy but the way i look at it, is me from the future trying to influence my life today. maybe i took a different path in life and didn't open my mind to believing. then later on in life suffered the consequences of it, but was able to go back and change my mindset on things by subtlety giving myself this 'buzz', once i figured something out for what it truely was. sort of a flag to let myself know im on the right path.

Now hopefully others have experienced the same thing..

Have you ever tried to tune in that buzz? I do this by seeing a EQ in my mind or by musical note or even by light. Try imagining a dog whistle or a high pitched buzz and then hold it, then begin by raising it octave after octave. I do this until it turns into light. Once I get there, I am in complete white light, it starts as a ball of light in my head at which point my temples start pulsing like mad and then grows perfectly spherical, until it fills my head. From there I can conduit it out to heal. Use your hands like positive and negative. Send in White light from one side and pull out dark energy with the other. I've never done any kind of training for this or follow any meditation, but it's not meditation...it's tunning....Peace

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I've experienced the same exact thing I believe, quite often. I really don't think it's a sign of something special, more like a bad diet or your body is trying to ween itself off of some prescription meds you may have taken for years.

If you took a certain medication for several years daily, depending on the drug, who knows how long the after effects could last. For me, I quit taking Paxil after maybe 6 years - I felt a hell of a lot better without it. Only issue was I got the zaps in my head, and it was really almost debilitating for a few moments each time it happened. Ever have heart palpitations? Could come with the buzzes as a package deal =p

"Have you ever tried to tune in that buzz?"

I think you're referring to something a bit different, the quiet buzz we all hear if we listen for it.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jomie-ky
I've experienced the same exact thing I believe, quite often. I really don't think it's a sign of something special, more like a bad diet or your body is trying to ween itself off of some prescription meds you may have taken for years.

If you took a certain medication for several years daily, depending on the drug, who knows how long the after effects could last. For me, I quit taking Paxil after maybe 6 years - I felt a hell of a lot better without it. Only issue was I got the zaps in my head, and it was really almost debilitating for a few moments each time it happened. Ever have heart palpitations? Could come with the buzzes as a package deal =p

"Have you ever tried to tune in that buzz?"

I think you're referring to something a bit different, the quiet buzz we all hear if we listen for it.

Never took ANY medication as a child, only over the counter stuff like tylenol or cough syrups..
Also no, never had palpitations.

But yeah i didnt mean a 'buzz' like a high.. literally the exact same spot inside my head i could feel getting a single shock, which isn't painful at all.

The best way i can discribe it is if youv'e ever knocked heads with somone, you know how your vision sort of jumps? It's like that, but i feel something in my brain too. Neither cause pain, but i have NEVER EVER gotten this affect randomly. it has LITERALLY ALWAYS been after ive just realized some big deal.

im just curious as to why it has stopped. maybe im at the mindset i wanted myself to be at, and i'll work my way from here..

[edit on 16-8-2008 by MurrayTORONTO]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Hmm don't see anyone talking about being high or weed =p

Like I said I've had the feeling, not painful but can be annoying if it occurs too much. To me just felt like a jolt in the head, and sometimes I hear a weird sound... best way to describe it is almost like static in my mind, very odd. If it's nothing to do with drugs of any kind I'm curious what it is exactly, really doesn't feel like a healthy thing for your mind to be doing

A Dr. might be able to give you an idea, other than that the only thing close I've felt is while meditating, weird feelings and sounds around the time my body goes into paralysis

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I've heard that stuff like that happens to so called abductees.

Anyway, I've had this thing where I'll get a sharp pain of either sickness or burn before making a decision. Later on, I find out that the decision was wrong.

Could be coincidence, though. What you've got is something else.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think its more likely to do with brain chemistry than anything else, notably seratonin levels. Like the OP Ive experienced what I can only describe as 'zaps' when either I forgot to take a med or then when I was reducing them, took a long while for them to stop................same experience with 2 different meds.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think its more likely to do with brain chemistry than anything else, notably seratonin levels. Like the OP Ive experienced what I can only describe as 'zaps' when either I forgot to take a med or then when I was reducing them, took a long while for them to stop................same experience with 2 different meds.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MurrayTORONTO

I get the exact same buzzes, and like the first responder, I have tried to "hone in" on the sound and something weird actually happens. I am a young fit prescription pill and drug free person too, by the way, and this has happened to me for years, so I don't think it's a matter of not being on the right meds or anything like that

Usually when I hone in on the buzz, the top of my head begins to start buzzing, followed by almost a sensation of energy flowing up my neck and into the back of my head. After that, my temples start pulsating and buzzing, and that feeling spreads to my forehead. The different sensations I feel are separate from one another, on different spots of my head (if that makes sense).

After the feelings are all over my head, my body begins to just become numb, and I don't really have much control over that (so long as I continue to just focus on the noise and beyond that I have to keep my mind completely clear), and once I become numb, that's around the time where I feel overwhelmed by whatever is going on, and I start to feel sick until I snap myself out of it, but even after "snapping out" of it, my vision acts up for about 5 minutes after the fact (I see different shapes floating around everywhere).

Every time I try this exercise (at least once a day), I try to push it a little bit further, in baby steps, so my brain doesn't get too overwhelmed. Does anybody have any advise for people experiencing this to maybe help hone it further?

[edit on 16-8-2008 by matth]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by abstrusenumber1

My brother (2 years older than me) was diagnosed with OCD as a child (10yrs old or so) and I always thought I had it too, but my family's focus was on him because it was noticeable first due to him being older, and also it affected him a lot worse.

But for me, I'd always have to touch the left sink tap as much as the right one, always had to double check doors were locked, had ticks randomly.. sometimes i'd scratch my hand, then i'd feel the need to scratch the other hand in the same spot..
I thought this was OCD but i kept it to myself because I was able to hide it infront of people, but its when i started getting comfortable around people the ticks would come out and they'd be pointed out.. which i would shrug off and make up an excuse for.
(I still have ticks to this day.. controllable, sometimes they'll go away for weeks, or i just wont notice it.. or when im really busy and my mind is on something else, it doesn't happen.).

I even remember actually at one point, i was really young maybe 12 and i said to my mom, mom i think i have OCD. Instantly it was just "no you dont...", and generally the vibe i got was she probably thought I wanted attention, when that was not the case. So since then I dont think i've ever brought it up with her.

One other thing that stood out (past year) is any time I took SMALL amounts (never got into any drug hardcore) of drugs that would raise seratonin levels, it struck me as strange.. because all it did was make me feel more 'me'.
i always thought i was depressed, and when i'd take a light dose i would feel like i was normal and i wasn't upset, and i found myself confronting people i would normally walk past or let go to voicemail.
(By light dose I mean enough to give you a buzz but not one person would ever be able to tell i was high because i acted completely normal.. I think of it as i did as little as i could of the drug to not get the disassociative effect, but to get the seratonin level change.. which is why it made me feel normal).

You might think, "ok,. well you were just high, so you were happy."
It was much more than that... i really truely felt 'normal'.. i dont know how else to put it.

The one thing I never tried was taking my brother's pills because I didn't know what effect it might have on me when i was that age.. I still haven't tried them, maybe it would be a good idea.. but ive never liked messing with other people's perscriptions. Should I?

Does this make sense?

edit: reworded

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Is it possible you are/were having episodes of Nystagmus?
You can google the topic for heaps of info. It may, or may not be relevant.

I personally suffered from it when I was 15- 25yrs old, I had the eye movement and the 'head buzz', every couple of days.
When I finally realised it wasn't normal, I went and saw a Dr. By this time I was worried I had a brain tumour or something.
In my case, it turned out to be related to a magnesium deficiency.

I haven't had a real episode for about 10 years.
I believe in the paranormal, but it is always best to rule out, and fix any possible medical causes first.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

(By light dose I mean enough to give you a buzz but not one person would ever be able to tell i was high because i acted completely normal.. I think of it as i did as little as i could of the drug to not get the disassociative effect, but to get the seratonin level change.. which is why it made me feel normal).

The one thing I never tried was taking my brother's pills because I didn't know what effect it might have on me when i was that age.. I still haven't tried them, maybe it would be a good idea.. but ive never liked messing with other people's perscriptions. Should I?

That's what I've been saying all along dude, med stuff or bad diet =) It's cool other people have had the same experience.
But, you should know taking an "anti-depressant" doesn't (or shouldn't) make you high for any reason, unless maybe if you overdose or something which isn't smart. If you just took a small dose, most likely you're getting a placebo effect but not an actual trial of the medicine, most serotonin increasing meds do it gradually, and take usually a couple weeks before you feel the full effect of it.
You can get really cheap anti-depressants if you see a Doctor, under 20 bucks with no insurance I think - if you really think you need them no reason to steal, it's cheap. But I would say avoid it if you can, they are habit forming and some (including Prozac and Paxil) contain the wonderful poison Flouride, I guess to help calm you down like you're in a Nazi slave camp...

hope it helps

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jomie-ky

That's what I've been saying all along dude, med stuff or bad diet =) It's cool other people have had the same experience.
But, you should know taking an "anti-depressant" doesn't (or shouldn't) make you high for any reason, unless maybe if you overdose or something which isn't smart. If you just took a small dose, most likely you're getting a placebo effect but not an actual trial of the medicine, most serotonin increasing meds do it gradually, and take usually a couple weeks before you feel the full effect of it.
You can get really cheap anti-depressants if you see a Doctor, under 20 bucks with no insurance I think - if you really think you need them no reason to steal, it's cheap. But I would say avoid it if you can, they are habit forming and some (including Prozac and Paxil) contain the wonderful poison Flouride, I guess to help calm you down like you're in a Nazi slave camp...

hope it helps

Sorry I think you mistook what I meant by "drug".. I know these forums arent the place to talk about it so thats why I didn't name it off, but it's a class c drug.. I've never in my life taken an anti-depressant medication

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Very interesting, especially since i've just posted my own theory on my thread.

I believe the buzzing is our being able to receive signals that are just out of our hearing range, yet effecting us all like music can effect emotion...

Certain frequencies can affect us subconsciously.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by matth

I get the exact same buzzes, and like the first responder, I have tried to "hone in" on the sound and something weird actually happens. I am a young fit prescription pill and drug free person too, by the way, and this has happened to me for years, so I don't think it's a matter of not being on the right meds or anything like that

Usually when I hone in on the buzz, the top of my head begins to start buzzing, followed by almost a sensation of energy flowing up my neck and into the back of my head. After that, my temples start pulsating and buzzing, and that feeling spreads to my forehead. The different sensations I feel are separate from one another, on different spots of my head (if that makes sense).

After the feelings are all over my head, my body begins to just become numb, and I don't really have much control over that (so long as I continue to just focus on the noise and beyond that I have to keep my mind completely clear), and once I become numb, that's around the time where I feel overwhelmed by whatever is going on, and I start to feel sick until I snap myself out of it, but even after "snapping out" of it, my vision acts up for about 5 minutes after the fact (I see different shapes floating around everywhere).

Every time I try this exercise (at least once a day), I try to push it a little bit further, in baby steps, so my brain doesn't get too overwhelmed. Does anybody have any advise for people experiencing this to maybe help hone it further?

[edit on 16-8-2008 by matth]

Exactly, what I was talking about...sounds like you may experience synthesia also (Seeing music, tasting numbers, etc.) a cross firing of sensory inputs. I know the energy can become overwhelming. Do you feel a magnetic pull at the top of your head when you relax? I feel like the guy on the old super glue commercials stuck to a beam with a hat on.

If I relax, it pulls my spine strait and puts proper load on all of my back muscles and I almost feel like I'm floating or like I have a line at the top of my head, like a marionette or something. I almost feel like I'm hanging from it....really weird sensation.

Even if I close my eyes I can see everything going on outside of me. I can also see people with animals, like pets, all around me, in my house, outside, in peoples cars...crazy stuff.

This started happening to me about 4 years ago out of no where. It used to scare me, until I started tuning it. I wish I could give you a better idea of what I mean by "Tuning", but I've never known anyone else this has happened too, and when I try to talk to people about it I just get shunned, so I stopped talking about it.

One other thing and I know this will sound wacky, but for about a month or so after it first started happening after about my 4th month, I could move stuff. I couldn't move it far, but I could lift things of any weight. I would do the same thing as tuning, only I would do it outside of me. I would focus what I wanted to lift and I would see in my mind a spiral, like a whirlwind under neath the object. This is really hard to describe, because I could see it in my head but it was outside of me. It was one particle that grew in scale. I felt no strain to make this power bigger or smaller, because it was the scale that made the difference and not the energy...o.k. I'm all clinched up...be easy on my...
Peace

Peace

[edit on 17-8-2008 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
Do you feel a magnetic pull at the top of your head when you relax? I feel like the guy on the old super glue commercials stuck to a beam with a hat on.

If I relax, it pulls my spine strait and puts proper load on all of my back muscles and I almost feel like I'm floating or like I have a line at the top of my head, like a marionette or something. I almost feel like I'm hanging from it....really weird sensation.

Yes, floating! And it's funny you mention that, as the spine sensation also occurs with me, usually in the numbing of my body...it just feels like my body is naturally going into a very comfortable state by itself...if that makes sense.

Magnetic pull is a really good choice of words. Whenever I do my exercise, at a certain point (usually the point where I become overwhelmed), I feel like I'm being pulled upwards, but it's not in body form. It feels like energy is leaving my body and is going elsewhere, but yet my consciousness is in there with the energy and is leaving my body; but like I said earlier that's usually when I get overwhelmed and "pull" the energy back into my body.

The first I tried this (and also why I practice this in baby steps), I tried to take it as far as I could, and the magnetic pulling feeling eventually felt like I was in a very fast elevator going "up", complete with a head rush and a sickening feeling in my stomach until I forced myself out of it, but that was by far the farthest I've ever taken it, and kind of spooked myself into going in baby steps at that point. What did it feel like when you saw things around and outside of you, if you can explain it?

But the process always begins with me honing in on that sound...I call it the "sound of silence" to my girlfriend...and for the record I hear you 100% on talking about it with others. I try to explain the feeling to my girlfriend all of the time, and while she is interested in things of this nature, she doesn't do much research on subjects like this like I do, so it's very difficult to explain it to her in a way she can understand.

It also doesn't help that I'm horrible at explaining things in words (I'm left handed and think 100% in pictures and not words, so it's very hard for me to explain things in words, which is also weird as I'm also an accomplished public speaker, haha)

And also, I 100% understand what you're trying to say with the spiral/whirlwind, and I am going to start to slowly incorporate this into my excerise...but when you say that a particle expands in scale, could you elaborate? I'm probably just brain-freezing but I couldn't seem to understand...peace!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by abstrusenumber1

Yeah Effexor is the worst for this. I will never take these meds again, and I used to really appreciate them. The first thing I thought about when reading the OP was the seratonin brain zaps.

edit for typos

[edit on 17-8-2008 by raven bombshell]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by matth

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
Do you feel a magnetic pull at the top of your head when you relax? I feel like the guy on the old super glue commercials stuck to a beam with a hat on.

Yes, floating! And it's funny you mention that, as the spine sensation also occurs with me, usually in the numbing of my body...it just feels like my body is naturally going into a very comfortable state by itself...if that makes sense.

Magnetic pull is a really good choice of words. Whenever I do my exercise, at a certain point (usually the point where I become overwhelmed), I feel like I'm being pulled upwards, but it's not in body form. It feels like energy is leaving my body and is going elsewhere, but yet my consciousness is in there with the energy and is leaving my body; but like I said earlier that's usually when I get overwhelmed and "pull" the energy back into my body.

The first I tried this (and also why I practice this in baby steps), I tried to take it as far as I could, and the magnetic pulling feeling eventually felt like I was in a very fast elevator going "up", complete with a head rush and a sickening feeling in my stomach until I forced myself out of it, but that was by far the farthest I've ever taken it, and kind of spooked myself into going in baby steps at that point. What did it feel like when you saw things around and outside of you, if you can explain it?

But the process always begins with me honing in on that sound...I call it the "sound of silence" to my girlfriend...and for the record I hear you 100% on talking about it with others. I try to explain the feeling to my girlfriend all of the time, and while she is interested in things of this nature, she doesn't do much research on subjects like this like I do, so it's very difficult to explain it to her in a way she can understand.

It also doesn't help that I'm horrible at explaining things in words (I'm left handed and think 100% in pictures and not words, so it's very hard for me to explain things in words, which is also weird as I'm also an accomplished public speaker, haha)

And also, I 100% understand what you're trying to say with the spiral/whirlwind, and I am going to start to slowly incorporate this into my excerise...but when you say that a particle expands in scale, could you elaborate? I'm probably just brain-freezing but I couldn't seem to understand...peace!

WOW WOW

THIS is the feeling ive been TRYING to describe my WHOLE life. I literally gave up because i figured it was just some weird thing i could do. The only difference is i can do that, on command.. ive just never known what the heck it was.
Ive never been able to explain this to anyone, but trust me, i know EXACTLY what you are taking about, the only difference is this feeling has never come to me randomly, i have to make it happen..
I can control also the area where i get the feeling. Not ANYWHERE though.

Also a question about your whirlwind.. are you meditating before you do this or can you just do it as easy as picking something up?

edit:
Does "synthesia" ever deal with something smelling like the taste of it? If that makes sense.. I've said this to people before, I honestly wish i can think of an example. But I've had something, smelled it and said "ohh man this smells like the TASTE of this"... then i let my friends try and they kind of just look at me like dude you're crazy.
It wasn't an illusion to me at all, this was real.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by MurrayTORONTO]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Awesome, I am so glad to know that there are others that can do this. I've never thought it was a bad thing, it was just something that really can not be explained to someone who hasn't experienced it. Another thing, I can also do this at will...as Murray explained, not the telekineses anymore, but the "tuning" or "honing", I can do instantly. The "sound" is always around me, all I have to do is sync to it. It is above me like a river, like a fast current that when you dip in, you can feel it pull on you, if that makes sense?

I would imagine that it has been there my whole life, it is just that I didn't recognize it. What happened was, in the span of about four years, I went through some very traumatic events in my life and it was after these events, when I was almost at the breaking point emotionally (i thought I was going to have to commit myself) that it came into being.

I am no expert, but I have a feeling that the trauma chemically altered my brain, as it was a four year run of extreme life altering events (several back to back deaths in my family including my little sister, divorce, layoff, move, paranormal stuff, father had heart attack, then stroke, on and on). I didn't understand what was happening, as I am not a "black cloud" over my head guy and always try to remain positive and see the good in everything.

I am a musician and have a feeling it has something to do with resonance. I am not a metaphysical person, but am spiritual, perhaps they are the same, so in that case I would be I guess. The "tuning" had a lot to do with music in my case and also with color. Another thing that accompanies this ability is healing as I had first mentioned. I'll try to explain more of that later.

I will try my best to elaborate on the "whirlwind". Some things go with this that will be very hard to verbally convey, but here it goes. I will try to leave out any personal ideas or "higher power" references and explain it in laymen terms best I can.

For me, it starts at the cellular level. I don't know how I know that, but I do. My cells are intelligent. Now, we know that our cells are alive, but I believe that our cells actually have an intelligence far beyond what we comprehend. You have seen those little Japanese "person inside a person" figures? You open one and another one is inside to which another one is inside of it and so on? That is how I picture my cells. Instead of thinking from my brain, I think from the cells or am aware of their mind and then join with others that are fit for what I am doing...man this is so hard to explain...whew. I look at this and even I am confused. I hope this is making sense.

As I had said before, in my previous post, it is relegated to scale and not energy, that is why I use the "Japanese" figure and it is visually the best example I can give. Each cell is me, but not, because they each do different tasks, each dedicated to there own work, but simultaneously. It is like being different beings, but one at the same time. When I tune them, there is no disorientation between them any more, thus unity in purpose, while still operating at there own task.. Like being in a group of individuals where everyone is singing the same song, but some have deep voices and some have high voices, but all are in key, so to are my cells and I am the conductor of the song while "tuning".

The Whirlwind
I believe this has to do with the golden ratio and perspective, but from the cellular level, which is why I needed to explain. Does everyone know what a Gimbel is? It is an instrument used in planes and spacecraft for orientation, so no matter which way you are turned you still have proper orientation to the plane. If you've seen "contact" with jodie foster, it looks like the big devise that they plunged her into the middle of. Two circles spinning inside one another. Some have three circles. I'd imagine you could have as many as you wanted, but none the less, this is how I "whirlwind" except cellularly. I see each cell as a Gimbel of sorts and by tuning the "sound of silence" it begins my cells spinning. When they are tuned the whirlwind starts and with that I can travel in each section of the whirlwind and the same time...? I'll stop here, because maybe it would be easier to answer questions. I know you guys probably might have different ways to do this same process and it might be easier to explain if we knew each others "terminology" better. I hope this makes some sense to you guys. Thanks for letting me try to explain. I'm really happy to meet others that are experiencing this. It is one of the reason I joined. Thanks again, letthereaderunderstand

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Hey Murray, this is from wikipedia.

Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae or synaesthesiae)—from the Ancient Greek σύν (syn), meaning "with," and αἴσθησις (aisthēsis), meaning "sensation" — is a neurologically-based phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.[1][2][3] In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme → color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored,[4][5] while in ordinal linguistic personification, numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities.[6][7] In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a (three-dimensional) view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise).[8][9][10] Yet another recently identified type, visual motion → sound synesthesia, involves hearing sounds in response to visual motion and flicker.[11] While cross-sensory metaphors (e.g., "loud shirt", "bitter wind" or "prickly laugh") are sometimes described as "synesthetic", true neurological synesthesia is involuntary. It is estimated that synesthesia could possibly be as prevalent as 1 in 23 persons across its range of variants.[12] Synesthesia runs strongly in families, but the precise mode of inheritance has yet to be ascertained. Synesthesia is also sometimes reported by individuals under the influence of psychedelic drugs, after a stroke, during a temporal lobe epilepsy seizure, or as a consequence of blindness or deafness. Synesthesia that arises from such non-genetic events is referred to as adventitious synesthesia to distinguish it from the more common congenital forms of synesthesia. Adventitious synesthesia involving drugs or stroke (but not blindness or deafness) apparently only involves sensory linkings such as sound → vision or touch → hearing; there are few, if any, reported cases involving culture-based, learned sets such as graphemes, lexemes, days of the week, or months of the year. Although synesthesia was the topic of intensive scientific investigation in the late 1800s and early 1900s, it was largely abandoned in the mid-20th century, and has only recently been rediscovered by modern researchers. Psychological research has demonstrated that synesthetic experiences can have measurable behavioral consequences, while functional neuroimaging studies have identified differences in patterns of brain activation (for recent reviews see [5] Many people with synesthesia use their experiences to aid in their creative process, and many non-synesthetes have attempted to create works of art that may capture what it is like to experience synesthesia. Psychologists and neuroscientists study synesthesia not only for its inherent interest, but also for the insights it may give into cognitive and perceptual processes that occur in synesthetes and non-synesthetes alike.

Hope that helps, letthereaderunderstand

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join