It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rambo : From Loner To Reluctant Leader of Mercenaries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
For anyone who has seen the newest version of "Rambo" where he's in Burma, it's a different role altogether seeing "John Rambo", the usual "loner" type, taking on a band of mercenaries. I was explaining it to a degree to a few friends today, how the film-makers went "politicially correct" and called it Burma instead of Myanmar, to appease the Chinese.

Look at it like this, he's been the "loner" in the Rambo series, where he was never accepted, even going solo to the point of killing Cops, in self-defense due to their ignorance of his Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome, and being a Vietnam veteran, so to see him switch to taking a group of mercenaries under his command, is a definite role reversal. It was unusual to see him take on the role of the reluctant leader of a group of mercenaries, and I'm wondering if George W. Bush or the Olympics approached the film's producer/director, to ask them to not call it Myanamar, to avoid pissing off the Chinese right before the Olympics.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I didn't really pay attention to the movie until after seeing it, because to me, it was "just another war movie" from my perspective.

Sylvester Stallone was apprently the Director, Producer, and Writer, plus starring in it.

Now this has me curious more about it.

SR

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Well to be fair he wasn't always a loner he had his platoon in Nam and he knew the odds in Burma weren't good as he didn't even want to take the church people there in the first place.

It would of been a neccesity for him to co-operate with the mercs to get the people out alive as he wouldn't of been able to do it alone he is older after all.

I read on the internet before the movie came out that Stallone and the high up movie people where getting death threats and facing bans etc. if they didn't comply with stuff.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SR

Interesting reply. Thanks for that. I meant after "John Rambo" having gotten out of Vietnam, and not knowing how to fit into the world, being a "loner" then.

Do you have a link to the information about the death threats?

Was it the Chinese? Or a few specific Generals there?

They can not take ciriticism well is seems.

Kill a few people in cruel and fascist fashion, and the world hates you.

I'm wondering how many of the "Rambo" movies are based on true to life stories.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
Sylvester Stallone was apprently the Director, Producer, and Writer, plus starring in it.

Now this has me curious more about it.

I heard a rumor that Universal Studios didn't want to deal with him anymore, so I think maybe he just decided to go and do it himself.
Sounds like he didn't have much support at all from anyone, if he was receiving threats and all. Seems like he's a renegade of the movie industry now.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

The world needs more renegades, rogues, and mavericks right now, not willing to back down from terrorists, or their tyrant masters.

Thanks for the comment. I'm sure Stallone did it for the paycheck too.

I only bought it because it was $10, that's the only reason.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Here's one link about death threats, but it was while filming on the Thai border.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Sorry Dudes, but I was HIGHLY disappointed in this film. The graphics were pretty good (gorry), but the plot and outcome could have been better IMO.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
Here's one link about death threats, but it was while filming on the Thai border.

Great find. Thanks. I don't doubt it one bit.

Originally posted by 38181
Sorry Dudes, but I was HIGHLY disappointed in this film. The graphics were pretty good (gorry), but the plot and outcome could have been better IMO.

I never said I liked the movie.

I was interested in the parallels of real life.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The person who played the part of "General Tint"(the bad guy with sunglass') was an actual rebel from Burma. They explain alot of it in the extras on the DVD. This new film actually gave me new respect for stallone.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
The person who played the part of "General Tint"(the bad guy with sunglass') was an actual rebel from Burma. They explain alot of it in the extras on the DVD. This new film actually gave me new respect for stallone.

I didn't have the time to watch the extras, so I'll take a peek tonight.

If that's the case, at least Stallone is willing to stand against the atrocitries whereas our pansy Politicians won't.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

The original rumor was that Universal won't deal with him anymore because when they approached him with the original idea for what became this movie, it was based on the "War On Terror."
From what I read, he basically said the war is BS and refused the project if it had anything to do with the Middle East.

I don't know how much truth there is to that, I read all of this when the movie was originally announced. I'll see if I can find the story somewhere.

Here's one

And another There's the distinct possibility that this just has the usual Infowars spin on it though.

Ok, now I doubt the truth to what I originally read.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Magnivea]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

The original rumor was that Universal won't deal with him anymore because when they approached him with the original idea for what became this movie, it was based on the "War On Terror."
From what I read, he basically said the war is BS and refused the project if it had anything to do with the Middle East.

I don't know how much truth there is to that, I read all of this when the movie was originally announced. I'll see if I can find the story somewhere.

Here's one

And another There's the distinct possibility that this just has the usual Infowars spin on it though.

Ok, now I doubt the truth to what I originally read.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by Magnivea]

Yet another possibility. I don't want to have anything to do with a BS war either, meaning a meaningless war, only ramped up for profits, with no "real enemy" except the populace that the politicians see as the enemy.

Good going Stallone, if that's the case.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Magnivea, if what you stated is true, this sheds new light onto the whole steroid issues, while Stallone was in Australia.

Could it be that someone was trying to Character Assassinate him, because he wouldn't play ball?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Anyone else think anything about the new "Rambo" movie?

Quite the role reversal, huh?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
No role reversal. He is still the loner, and as you said he 'reluctantly' takes over the role. Awesome movie overall, with Stallone at his best, and he is still pretty buff. The violence was pretty over the top, though. This was the most violent movie I have ever seen, bar none.

At the closing credits Rambo is seen getting off a bus and walking toward a ranch somewhere out west; I guess this means he is finally 'coming home.' Which could signal the end of the 'Rambo' series. But I would like to see one more, where he fends off the BATF or some Blackwater-type death squad trying to take his ranch.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

While yes, he is still the "loner" and takes the reluctant leadership, he still nonetheless does take it, over a bunch of mercenaries.

I noticed too that the name on the mailbox said "R Rambo" like it was his parents home.

top topics

join