It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to U.S.: Choose us or Georgia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Russia to U.S.: Choose us or Georgia

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Russia pressed the United States on Wednesday to choose between "a real partnership" with Moscow or an "illusory" relationship with U.S. ally Georgia.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Wednesday says the United States should choose sides.
1 of 3

Washington said it's sticking with Georgia.

"As to choosing, the United States has made very clear that it is standing by the democratically elected government of Georgia," Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Damn! That is a bold statement, IMHO. I get the democratic tie and the reality that Georgia has been a great alley, after committing 3,000 plus troops to Iraq.

Bush said reports he had received were contrary to Russian assurances that it had halted military operations. Bush said he was told the Russian military had blocked Georgia's major east-west highway, and had soldiers at the main port at Poti. There were reports that some ships had been attacked, he said.

I remember Moscow saying to halt the war, but they also said that if there were any "hotspots" or resistance out there to crush them first. So, Russia is crushing those hotspots?

I am 30 years old and don't remember much of the cold war, but this is a dangerous ultimatum.

Is this the start of another cold war? Also, I realize people say that the cold war never ended, but come on...

AAC

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-8-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I think the Russian offer was fair. Either USA continues to practice political greed to detriment of its interests, or comes to understand the advantages of more balanced policies.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
LOL. Sounds like the desperate prom girl date thing. Pick me, pick me!!! Whatever....if they are doing this just for attention then screw them. There are better ways to go about this than armed conflict and killing folks to tell the US to "pick them". Just sad...really sad and it says a whole lot.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Lmao ..

The so called cold war never did end just one side stood down for a period of time to restructure itself (Russia/USSR)

I have said it before for many years.. The world has been at higher risk of nuclear war sense the berlin wall came down.

Putin for intense and purposes is a dictator at the moment.. Sure they went through all the steps to aper to have elections etc.. But in reality putin is still in charge.

This .. Is a conflict that has been brewing sense before the end of ww2.. Patton saw it coming .. He was ignored

What is going on now .. Will be remembered by those who survive .. Hopefully it will not go nuclear.. But all the signs point that it will.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Presumptively, the United States must develop an approach to resolve this situation.

The Russian statement in the OP clearly puts the ball in our court.

What will the American's response be?

What does America want? Of course, I don't refer to me and you 'America', I refer to the ideologically motivated America, the one that has undertaken so many questionable actions.

What do they want. Oil? Seems like a tired excuse, but it fits, no? Could it be the "surround Russia with anti-missile emplacements" theory? There's some merit to that as well.

Sadly the losers are the populace, as usual.

There must be some redeeming point to this conflict. Can anyone define it in terms not couched in ideological drivel?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Russia is just saying this because Rice and Bush are being really pushy. Not really a question, just a reminder to Bush/Cheney that the US is behind the eight-ball.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The answer is:

The U.S. chooses Georgia.

CNN Article

As to choosing, the United States has made very clear that it is standing by the democratically elected government of Georgia," Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
I think the Russian offer was fair. Either USA continues to practice political greed to detriment of its interests, or comes to understand the advantages of more balanced policies.

So we need to throw Georgia under the train and appease the Russians?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

I relate to this answer the most. I truly believe that this is only a "I don't want to look like the biaaaatch" so I will flex with words." But imagine if it was a precursor to a larger statement? Yikes.

AAC

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
hmm remember "with us or against us?"
kinda same thing with russia right now huh?

maybe another what was it? gulf of tonkin and lusitania? is going to happen

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
A visual representation of the current US vs Russia political game.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Here we go again the U.S. Getting involved in something it needn't be in. If we learned anything from Hitler it is do not fight a war on 2 fronts what have we got about 6 fronts going right now? I am just sick of all the polotics being played right now by bush and clan.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet

A visual representation of your level of understanding of the SEVERITY of this situation, perhaps.

Currently there are US SOLDIERS en-route and present in Georgia delivering humanitarian aid. Should one of our boys, accidentally or malevolently, get "caught in the crossfire" we will have very few options remaining on the table.

This is hardly the subject for light-hearted humor. Though, maybe you will be a figurative "Bob Hope", and keep morale up when the bombs start to fall.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet

My sentiments exactly! That is hilarious. If you could, would you tell me if that picture popped in your head from recent memory, or was that pic something you stumbled upon today or yesterday?

Just curious.

AAC

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

Chill out dude. I doubt the poster had your penetrating perspective in his/her head when posting. No need to stir the proverbial pot. Yes, what you said would be horrible if it happened. But humor is the universal antidote to all.

No need to worry the masses if there is no need.

AAC

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

I hope humor can cure radiation poisoning.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

I hope humor can cure radiation poisoning.

August 13, 2008, the day I listened to the funniest thing I have ever heard. I hope you all celebrate it annually with me.

AAC

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It's clear that the U.S. will assist Georgia, I just hope that they keep it to humanitarian aid and nothing more.

I came across an article on BBC which briefly outlines the plan by the U.S. to bring in aid. However it also mentions that they've assisted the Georgian military with training, weapons, as well as bases. So I do agree that this could get ugly.

I also wanted to point out a quote that I found in the article that I've linked to above (sorry if this sort of goes off topic):

"This is not 1968," said US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice emphatically at a Washington news conference, "where Russia can threaten a neighbour, occupy a capital, overthrow a government and get away with it."

Seriously how can she say this when the U.S. is presently doing the same thing in Iraq?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

And maybe you should understand how mild and predictable the situation is with DisabledVet's perfect representation of what is going on in the post Five Day War. This is chest beating, fifth grade style. There is too much to lose for either side, and as our relations with Russia have been sour for so long, this is just a slight deterioration of an ever deteriorating relationship. Nothing has changed except the exposure of the "play nice" ties we have with The Russian Federation, but don't be fooled, these lines have been drawn since the end of World War Two.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join