It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria creates renewable diesel fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Bacteria creates renewable diesel fuel

www.cnn.com

How does it work? A special type of genetically altered bacteria are fed plant material: basically, any type of sugar. They digest it and excrete the equivalent of diesel fuel.

Humans have used bacteria and yeast for centuries to do similar work, creating beer, moonshine and, more recently, ethanol. But scientists' recent strides in genetic engineering now allow them to control the end product.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This is my first post on this site, I\'ve been reading the topics avidly for the last week or so and am thoroughly addicted. But yeah I wonder if we\'ll ever see this type of diesel mass produced, and I how does it burn? It\'ll still create co2 emissions I guess.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
"A special type of genetically altered bacteria are fed plant material: basically, any type of sugar"

Am i the only one to have a problem with this?

Ok... Lets say this thing has a apatite for "Any type of sugar" .. It gets loose.. (You know damn well it will if they don't control it like it was ebola)

So lets say it gets loose.......... There goes all plant life on the planet. End of the world baby..... Sure we would have plenty of oil then but who needs oil when you have no trees to produce oxygen ....

Nice idea they have.. but it truthfully scares the hell out of me.. A microbe that eats any plant etc........ Without plants nothing on this planet would survive.

Hehe my evil side has to add this..... say this stuff got out and started making oil...... now sooner or later that oil is going to catch fire.. instant BBQ'd earth!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
No need to worry.

They are working with bacteria making bio fuel and have been for a while. I didnt catch what percentage of weight to fuel ratio you got out of that but bacteria that digests raw sewage gives off an amazing 50% oil.

I havent looked into it since 2006, i would imagine they've come a long way.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
And now this is the reason why my boss has to pay over £10000 ($18-20k) to fix his pumps.

The bio diesel keeps clogging up the filters and tanks.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wolfmanjack

eh, no need to worry, i'm pretty sure most bacteria consume sugars, actually, i think every living cell consumes sugars. besides, algae produce most of the oxigen on the planet, not trees.

top topics

join