It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Wife Was Robbed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
First off sorry to hear that, and i hope they are not too shaken.

But having a gun on her would not neccesarilly fix the situation, it could in fact have made it a hell of a lot worse. if the assailant was armed with a knife or gun. there would be some serious trouble,and innocent people could have got hurt.

In such a situation self defence in my opinion is a much better alternative,even if you are overpowered, it is unlikley to escalate to worse than a bloody nose,as the mugger should be expecting confrontation,and is likley to shrug it off.

I think someone mentioned on here what is the best self defence, and the majority of people said Krav Maga.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So sorry to hear about your family's misfortune, MBU. Relieved to hear that everyone is unharmed. What a horrible thing for your children to witness.

We had a purse snatcher a few years ago. Day shift nurses were getting off work and walking out together (in broad daylight), guy ran through the crowd and snatched one of the girl's purses. She hollered and the nurses who were ahead of her tripped the guy and almost beat the sass out of him before security got out there to save him.

He wasn't "hungry" or "poor", etc. There are soup kitchens, food stamps, etc. for those people. He was a druggie that needed cash. I don't carry a purse and stand nearly 6 feet tall. I always carry and haven't been robbed yet. However, with more than one attacker, I might just give them my wallet.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
MBU,

Any word on these two guys? I'm sure the police are doing their best to find them, but there's so much crime anymore that LEOS are spread way too thin to be effective. I hope they catch them.

Just a few words on how not to be a victim. Most importantly, Always be aware of your surroundings, and the people around you. Scan your surrounding for people or things that look out of place. If something don't seem right, it probably isn't. Trust your instincts. They served our prehistoric ancestors well for millions of years.

Don't walk near parked cars where someone could easily jump out at you. Before entering your vehicle look beneath it, then in the backseat before entering it. Be especially cautious of vans parked beside your vehicle. Enter from the passenger side should this be the case. Lock your doors promptly upon entering. Never let your windows down for strangers. Have your cell phone programmed to speed dial 911. In an emergency. The simpler things are in an emergency, the better.

Females and children are being used more and more often as decoys to take victims off guard. If approached for assistance, don't rush to follow them, offer to call 911 instead, or look for others to assist you. If it's a real emergency, they won't object to this.

Secondly, don't look like a victim. Stand tall, and be alert. People who are distracted, or seem fearful, are prime targets for street crimes. Women rummaging through their purse, people talking on their cell phones, or individuals listening to walkmen might as well wear signs that say "Rob me!" They know you're not paying attention, and it will give them the element of surprise against you.

If confronted, surrender your valuables, they're not worth your life. Money and possessions can be replaced, your life can't. Always keep valuables like rings and jewelry in your pockets and out of sight when outdoors. Separate your money between two or more places. Consider what's in your wallet or purse as an appeasement offer in a robbery.

Never allow yourself to be taken to a secluded area. This is a good indicator that robbery is not their only motive for assailing you. Never allow yourself to be restrained. Once your bound, you're helpless and they're free to do whatever they like. More than likely you're dead afterwards. They won't leave you alive to identify them.

If you find yourself in either situation call out for help, or yell fire as someone else previously indicated. People typically won't respond to a cry for help anymore, but they will mobilize at a threat of fire. Witnesses are the last thing a criminal wants, so use that to your advantage. If they attempt to overpower you, fight back as if your life depended on it, because most likely it does! Criminals like complacent victims, not fighters. More than likely they'll cut and run, and seek easier prey.

Rehearse what you and your family might do in various situations before they actually happen. It's no guarantee that you'll never be a victim of a crime, but it does give you a psychological edge in a confrontation.

If you should ever find yourself in the clutches of a kidnapper or other perp, try to leave as much physical evidence as possible. Place your finger prints on the interior and exterior of their vehicle, on doors, or other smooth surfaces. Scratch your assailant or pull out strands of their hair if possible. You're probably going to die anyway, and in the event of your death, this may just be the forensic evidence needed to connect you to your killer. Consider retribution from beyond the grave.

This is only advise, so take it or leave as you wish. whether to fight back or not is a personal decision, that only you can make. Good luck, and be safe out there!

[edit on 14-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about that, Unit.

Unfortunately I can understand the mindset of someone that would do a thing like that. And in response to another person who posted, no, they wont feel the least bit tortured over this, in fact theyll probably have a good laugh about it.

It would be pretty easy to find these guys, too. If you wanted revenge, that is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join