It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Edwards Affair puts McCain at disadvantage

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Is somebody having an affair really an important issue?

Yeah - you're right. An act of distrust and infidelity is nothing to be concerned about.

It has no effect on his leadership abilities.

He's willing to lie and cheat on his crippled wife, but he'd never lie and cheat on us.

Totally a non - issue. How could i have been so stupid

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Edwards is a slimeball in his own right. McCain had nothing to do with Edward's rutting with a ditzy blond. This thread is nothing more than trash.

Certainly this thread can quickly become trash, especially with posts like yours -- why on Earth did you deem it necessary to refer to that lady's hair color? And to call her ditzy?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Yes, Andrew and you resided within the household, slept with them and know every tidbit about the affair. I should have never mistook the insight you have on this matter. Did the Clinton's affair make you vote for Bush?

Just like Obama would never lie to us either.

I mean what the hell tell the people you want Universal health care for all Americans but don't tell them that you only mean 16% of them. But of course you wouldn't call that a lie, you call it hope.

see my thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Tell America that once you become President you will end the war and Bring the troops home. Then turn around and tell them you will instead send them to Afghanistan and have them hanging around Iraq. But you wouldn't call that a lie, that's change.

Tell America that you won't accept money from PACs or federal lobbyist, but continue to accept money from individuals affiliated with those organization. But you wouldn't consider that a lie, that's transparency.

The only thing your doing is digging up bones that are better laid to rest. If you want to judge the man judge him by his political career just like you are asking everybody to judge Obama by.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Yes, Andrew and you resided within the household, slept with them and know every tidbit about the affair. I should have never mistook the insight you have on this matter. Did the Clinton's affair make you vote for Bush?

Did the Clinton affair? yes. Actually - I've stated this many times. Regretably, i voted for Bush in 2000. It wasnt the only reason. But i believe that a mans personal life reveals his professional life.

I didnt have to live in the house. When you take a strong religious approach to everything as McCain does - you have to take it to marriage as well

Until death due us part.

Not until a crippling car accident due you to find a gold mine to support your political ambitions.

The motives behind his affair are quite clear to those who choose not to be blinded.

But to people like you who say its okay to have an affair as a war hero
and not okay to have an affair as a politician

i say

Thank you for proving my point.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I didn't prove your point. You prove the point that this is merely pro Obama rhetheric. John Edwards made a decision and that decision will probably cost him politically, at least. He has to pay the price not me. Same for McCain.

Making the affair a part of this campaign is unnecessary. Leaves you no room to talk when somebody posts similar trash about Obama. Are you that confident that Obama never had an affair? If it came to light that he did would you still feel that it is a legit issue? Especially, if it happened before he was ever even a politician.

Him calling a woman sweetie shows tendency that he is capable of such things. Of course you wouldn't see it that way.

I will say it again. Humans make mistakes and it is dirt like this that keep people with good intentions out of American Politics. No matter what race, religion, political view a person has, all are prone to making similar mistakes.

Thou without sin may now cast the first stone.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It has absolutely nothing to do with Barack Obama.

Nothing.

Find me somewhere in this entire thread where i said Barack Obama. You are the only one to mention him.

It has everything to do with saying

"HEY! The MSM is finally talking about that! Something i've been talking about for a long time!!"

AND

"here's why"

Im sorry that you force yourself to abandon reason and refuse to see what im trying to say here.

You back McCain having an affair.

Let me ask you something - when was the last time you picked up an issue of the NATIONAL ENQUIRER and said to yourself "hey - that makes sense"

So they got lucky - for once.

The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then - its how the world goes 'round.

It has nothing to do with edwards other than his actions are shining light IN THE MEDIA on the fact that McCain - too - is a lying cheating womanizing pig just like Edwards.

You support McCain's affair because he's a war-hero.
I condemn it.

I guess we'll have to disagree to disagree.

Because you leave no room for any other options.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Could the fact that John Edward's suspected love child was not aborted and was in fact carried to term by the mother get the MSM to finally comment on Obama voting against the Illinois "Born ALive" infant protection act?

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

Could be.
All in the eyes of the beholder.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

You support McCain's affair because he's a war-hero.
I condemn it.

Show me where I mention anything about McCain being a war hero.

Show me where I said I support his affair because he is a war hero.

What I am saying is that this is your way of attacking McCain. You condemn people when they attack your candidate with such trash yet you do the same to McCain.

Tell me or show me how this affair has inhibited him from doing his job as a Congressman. The only thing you tell me is that he lies to America. I haven't known of a politician yet who hasn't lied to the American public, so why should he or your candidate be any different.

They will lie period, affair or no affair.

Yes we do disagree to disagree because I see no reason why his affair is a legit issue in this election.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

well i guess thats where we disagree

i think infidelity is a despicable act for any man to partake in.

I said it about Clinton, i said it about JFK, i said it about Edwards, and im saying it about McCain.

If YOU think infidelity is okay - well, thats your opinion.

But its not the opinion of the OP.

Just because mccain wasnt a politician at the time of his treasonous and heinous act of betrayal doesnt make it any less disgusting.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I'm going to adopt a wide stance here. Anyone wish to tap his foot in response?

Well, let me pretend to drop the toilet paper, to see if the guy in the stall next to me is interested. I'll just put my hand under the stall partition.....

Gee, come to the MSP Airport often?? Maybe I can interest you in voting for me, since this is apparently how I campaign.....'What's your demographic?'

Remember, VOTE Republican!!!! (scampering out, pants around ankles)

OR, try this....solicit cute young male Senate pages, by BlackBerry, but only on the RED side of the aisle.....and hope you can sufficiently be clever to get their attention to possibly wish to do stuff, that is sexual, with a sorry ugly man.....such as yourself.

The fact that sex scandals happen....old, old news. Using them to smear someone....hyprocrisy.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I agree. McCain's first marriage is definitely something we need to examine with a fine tooth comb, as it tells a lot about his character and honor. And it's so typical that the biased media makes such a big deal about Edwards, who's not even running any more, but doesn't even mention the truth about McCain.

Of course, that could be because it's already been gone over with a fine tooth comb... it did happen 30 years ago, and he's run many campaigns since then. But for those who are still in the dark, of course we need to look at it again.

McCain married his first wife, Carol Shepp, after she divorced her first husband for infidelity. Not sure what his story is, but apparently he was no longer there for her and their two sons; McCain adopted Carol's sons after their own marriage. They then had a daughter, Sidney, together, before he went to Vietnam.

(Perhaps the marriage was in a little trouble already, since McCain reportedly requested active duty in Vietnam. But that's purely speculation on my part).

While in Vietnam, McCain was shot down and taken prisoner for the next several years. During this time, Carol had an auto accident and was severely injured. Altho told she would never walk again, Carol's proved the doctors wrong with lots of hard work and determination. While in Vietnam, McCain was never told of his wife's accident and disability. (Must've been quite a shock when McCain got home.)

John and Carol stayed together for a few years, but eventually John met Cindy, he was twitterpated, they began an affair (though Cindy states she was unaware that John was married), and subsequently John asked Carol for a divorce. She agreed.

Their divorce was quite amicable. John gave Carol their home in Florida, and they retained joint-ownership of a townhouse in Virginia. John also paid Carol alimony, paid child support for their three children - the two he adopted from Carol's first marriage, and the daughter they had together - and promised to pay all of Carol's medical bills for life.

They have remained very good friends and Carol still adores McCain. She also supports him for President. In fact, she gave an interview to the Daily Mail (UK) last June in order to "publicize her support" for McCain, although she usually shies away from press. She also publicizes her support for her ex-husband via the McCain bumper sticker on her car.

Incidentally (or not), Carol is a remarkable woman, very successful in her own right, who has made a good life for herself. She deserves better than the pity wrought by dismissing her as "crippled," or "abandoned," etc.

So... there it is. Given all the information, people can and will judge him for themselves.

Besides the aforementioned article in the Daily Mail, "The New Times" of Phoenix, and "The Arizona Republic" also have in depth articles on McCain, which can be easily googled.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
reply to post by sos37

Ohhhhh!

I see whats going on now.

So its okay for McCain to have the affair because, at the time, he was not a politician. Just a "war hero"

Its okay for "war hero's" to have an affair, but not for "politicians"

Thanks for clarifying.

Wow - i never realized the pun assocaited with the "cracker" joke until just now

thats not how it was intended.

its something my mother told me as a kid

"do you want me to write it on a cracker and feed it to you !!!! "

[edit on 8/13/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

Andrew, don't put words into my mouth. You know where I was going with that list, which incidentally you only addressed one of the points, by the way.

Even so, I was in no way saying that not being a politician made it okay. I think you could infer that from the second paragraph in the post, especially if you thought I was saying it was okay to have an extra-marital affair when not a politician.

The dull fact of the matter is, I imagine the majority of the people who first hear about McCain's affair, hear that it happened in the 70's, and honestly think "Oh, well that was a long time ago. The Edwards thing just happened."

Then, when you delve deep into it, you realize the other points I mentioned:

* Edwards lied repeatedly to the media and to the American public
* He was having his extra-marital affair while at the same time running for POTUS AND making speeches to America about how he expected Americans to take the moral "high ground". I can dig that one up on YouTube if you want me to. They make it a point of playing it on Laura Ingraham almost every morning.
* He subsidized his affair with campaign funds

Those are three points you cannot apply to McCain's affair. On a personal level, I'll say this again - yes they were both wrong to have affairs on their wives. However there are differences in the two instances. Can't you let go of your hate for the Republican party for one minute to consider the facts?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Please, don't bring Barney Frank or Gerry Studds into this discussion - this is about John Edwards.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

The fact that sex scandals happen....old, old news. Using them to smear someone....hyprocrisy.

i really fail to see the relevance to your post at all...especially the quoted line.

Its hypocrisy to point out that a man could not be faithful to his wife, and in turn question rather or not he can be faithful to the office of the presidency?

Yeah.

You're right. Moral men cheat on their wives every day :shk:

Sorry its not an issue for you - but it is for me.

I'd thank you for keeping on track. John Edwards sex scandal sheds light on the John McCain affair of old.

Care to comment on that?
Or atleast enlighten us as to why its a bad thing to ridicule a politician who can't stay true to his vows?

I ridicule republican and democratic alike, so saying that i suggest otherwise is a lie in its self

[edit on 8/15/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join