It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Edwards Affair puts McCain at disadvantage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

NEW YORK Reaction from across the political spectrum has been strong to the news of John Edwards admitting he had an affair in 2006, with many condemning Edwards' actions and denials. But it may also produce an unwanted aftershock for John McCain, reviving references to his own extramarital affairs back in the mid-1970s.

Steve Chapman, the generally conservative Chicago Tribune columnist observed today, "Not that Republicans would be able to make full use of this exposure had Edwards been the nominee. Their prospective nominee, after all, was guilty of the same sin during his first marriage.

"But that was 30 years ago. Good news for Edwards: Come 2038, he may be viable again."

Edwards himself, in his interview on ABC's Nightline, referred to McCain admitting that he had made many mistakes in his first marriage. In his autobiography, McCain wrote, "My marriage's collapse was attributable to my own selfishness and immaturity. The blame was entirely mine." He has also said that he was dating Cindy for nine months while still "cohabiting" with his first wife. The Los Angeles Times recently revealed that McCain had not been fully truthful on the timeline for his divorce and remarriage.

Full story

Atleast the media is finally covering the real side of John McCain.

He cheated on his loving, but crippled, wife after he returned from the POW camp.

Lots of people forgot about that.....

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Republicans are good at sweeping their hypocrisy under the rug. Ill say it time and time again. Anything the righties want to accuse the liberals of doing, the same kind of thing can be traced right back to the righties themselves.

Its called hypocrisy, and theres plenty of it coming from McCain supporters. The only difference is that their better at covering it up, Ill have to admit.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Edwards is a slimeball in his own right. McCain had nothing to do with Edward's rutting with a ditzy blond. This thread is nothing more than trash.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian
Ill say it time and time again. Anything the righties want to accuse to liberals of doing, it can be traced right back to the righties themselves.

Wait, so John Mccain made John Edwards Cheat?

Damn, if hes that good I have to vote for him. I mean wow, people may think Barak is cool, But now I know John McCain has MAGIC POWERS!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

How, in all of the voids of logic in existence, can you extract that asinine statement from his words?

What he's saying is conservatives bash democrats for doing the same damn thing conservatives do.

Its called hypocrisy.

:shk:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Nobody is saying John Edwards had anything to do with John McCains infidelity.

Are you seriously just steering off course in hopes of avoiding the facts?

Not gona happen, especially in my thread.

You take your typical, predictable, posting routine, "jso" when you dont read anything about a thread, and formulate your opinion accordingly.

The thread, as it clearly says in the OP - is about shedding light on the fact that McCain cheated on his spouse.

How you draw your ignorant statement from that, is 100% beyond me.

[edit on 8/11/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Yeah, McCain cheated. Lots of people cheat - not that that makes it right. Some of those people are politicians. That doesn't make it right, either.

Look, I'm not a McCain fan for a number of reasons, but bringing up the fact that he cheated on his first wife in the mid/late 70s is pretty shallow.

It's been a while since I read his first (?) book, Faith of my Fathers, but if memory serves his first marriage wasn't the healthiest relationship in the world to begin with - he served long deployments on aircraft carriers, his wife was raising their children by herself, etc. Then he spends 5 1/2 years as a POW, comes back physically handicapped, finds out that his wife has been in a debilitating accident as well, spends time in physical therapy, and ends up in what amounts to a desk job.

All that would have tested even the healthiest of marriages. McCain cheated. He was wrong to cheat. He's on record taking responsibility for the collapse of his first marriage. And, at least to the best of my knowledge, he's been faithful to his current wife, Cindy, since they were married back in 1980. That should count for something.

So yeah, he cheated - but that's not the whole story. Unless he really wows me between now and November he won't be getting my vote. But his infidelity will have nothing to do with that decision.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
John McCain on his cheating
"It was my fault. Totally and completly"

John Edwards on his Cheating
"I wont comment on tabloid trash"

John Mccain cheated on his wife after coming back from years as a POW

John Edwards cheated on his wife after years of being a a self centered pretty boy.

John Mccain married the woman he cheaten on his first wife with.

John Edwards paid the woman he cheated on his wife with out of (most likely) Campaign funds, either handed her off to his buddy or got his buddy to take "responsibillity" for his child, and then got photographed in a hotel wiht her over a yeat after he supposedly broke up with her.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
My opinion is directed at the source - I don't agree with the opinion the writer has taken in the original source article.

John McCain and John Edwards are two different men who, while they may have participated in the same act of infedelity, have nothing to do with the other. They're both men who cheated on their spouses, but I can't see how Edwards' affair puts McCain at any political "disadvantage."

How the writer of the original article blames Edwards' complete lack of judgement and absentee morals to be some sort of "disadvantage" to McCain's political campaign is at best, laughable. McCain put himself there of his own accord years ago, just as Edwards' has done now with his own political career.

People are smart - they know what McCain did and now they know what Edwards did. The only disadvantage is simply McCain and Edwards themselves.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
difference is john edwards uses people for his own political advantage and is one of the biggest hypocrits in our government.

he said he would stick by his wife when they announced she had cancer, and then cheats on her.

he gets a 400$ haircut.

he denies the allegations of this affair even when cameras filmed the 2 entering the same hotel room.

he talks about how the republicans hate helping the poor, and then goes and has a 10,000 square foot house built.

i cant believe people still take this guy seriously he will do anything and everything to get ahead, even if it means giving 100,000 dollars to shut people up... oh wait...

its almost better than al gore coming out with that global warming movie, and then people found out his house uses the same electricity as 3 or 4 normal homes put together. and he uses private jets

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Swatman]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I think the OP is just noting the possibility that Edwards scandal could shed some new light on McCain's old affair, which would raise more awareness about the fact that he had an affair to begin with. The last thing McCain needs is for an unrelated event like an Edwards scandal to bring up old memories of McCains own infidelity. It's all fine and good to say "that was 30 years ago" and people do a lot of changing over the course of 30 years, but politicians simply don't want to be associated with things like infidelity. I'm sure McCain would prefer that it were not brought up ever again.

Whether you're a Democrat or a Republican, cheating is bad and it shouldn't be forgiven in my opinion. But infidelity shouldn't disqualify you from becoming president since it has nothing to do with leading the free world.

P.S. - I think i'm having a love affair with this peanut butter. Delicious! Vote Peanut Butter for President.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cyfre

Thank you Cyfre.

Someone finally got it - though it was spelled out clear as day.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
If you had actually taken time to read the article, before posting your opinion, you would have seen this

And while we're all feeling holier than thou, maybe we should use this occasion to re-examine the past behavior of John McCain His first wife, Carol, was beautiful enough to be a swimwear model when he married her in 1965. He went off to fight in the Vietnam war while she stayed home to raise their three children. He was captured and spent five years as a prisoner of war. When he was freed in 1973, he came home to find that his wife had been disfigured in a car wreck three years earlier. So he dumped her and married a much younger woman (who might be our next first lady).

The bolds are my doing.

The point of this article, and the point of my thread is to say

The John Edwards SCANDAL is shedding light on the John McCain affair of old.

It in no way shape or form - in any twist of logic you can concoct, creates the argument that mccain knew about edwards or vice versa.

But you would be unable to grasp that very fundamental concept without having read the article or my OP.

Atleast the media is finally covering the real side of John McCain.

He cheated on his loving, but crippled, wife after he returned from the POW camp.

Do i really have to write it on a cracker and feed it to you?

[edit on 8/13/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

You mean, the dude is dumb enough to get busted by the National Enquirer.. Hello, the National Enquirer. The same paper that writes stuff like Bigfoot is my daddy..etc etc.. and you want to turn this into McCain fest 2008 cause Edwards got busted.

I bet you were no where to be found when Clinton was getting free slurpies in the oval room of the White House. I bet you were no where to be found when Obama was belching out his sweetie thang.

You yourself have said that a Senator should know better and should be held to a higher bar than a local townie.(see thread about McCain on being a racist bigot and homophobe)

Let's see I believe McCain divorced his first wife in 1980. He ran for House of Representatives in 1982. That means he wasn't a politician at the time of his affair. Edwards is.

If you want to say no man should have an affair, whether in office or not, then I have no qualm. But to keep bringing up McCain's affair when he wasn't even in office is playing tit for tat.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I'm not condoning EITHER affair.

Your complete lack of literacy is astounding.

If you cannot read what i've said - then you cannot comprehend what it means.

Here. Let me go get some food coloring markers, ill write it on a cracker, and feed it to you

People forgot about McCains affair.
Edwards got busted having an affair.
It brings back to light the fact that McCain had an affair in the MSM.

Where in there, show me PLEASE, show me, where it says any thing you're suggesting it says that

"it was okay for edwards to have an affair"
or
"mccain knew about edwards affair"

Is your lack of understanding deliberate, or do you seriously not see what is clearly spelled out before you

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Here are the differences:

1. Was McCain a politician serving in public office when it happened?
2. Was McCain running for a high level office, say for POTUS?
3. Did McCain use campaign funds to fund his tryst with said woman?
4. Was McCain ever questioned about the affair and lie to the American public?

On a personal level - yeah. The same. They're both slimeballs. But even personally there's one difference - it happened back in the 70's and unless you know McCain personally, you CANNOT say with absolute certainty that the main has not made amends with his ex wife for his behavior and that he truly regrets what he did. She may have forgiven him for it by now and as far as she's concerned it's a hatchet that's long been buried. But you Democrats want to keep bringing it up.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by sos37]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Ohhhhh!

I see whats going on now.

So its okay for McCain to have the affair because, at the time, he was not a politician. Just a "war hero"

Its okay for "war hero's" to have an affair, but not for "politicians"

Thanks for clarifying.

Wow - i never realized the pun assocaited with the "cracker" joke until just now

thats not how it was intended.

its something my mother told me as a kid

"do you want me to write it on a cracker and feed it to you !!!! "

[edit on 8/13/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

You are the one that keeps bringing up that he cheated. Look at your words above.

Why didn't you mention that he was not a politician at the time?

Yes, McCain cheated. I don't really know how loving his wife was. Only McCain and Her know the real answer to that.

Lot's of people should forget about it because he wasn't in Congress at the time.

What is clearly spelled out is that you are trying to take Edwards wrongs to highlight McCains wrongs in the hope it will make Obama look good. And if you like I can write that on bread and feed it to you with the water your drinking...

It is evident that the majority of your threads are pro Obama and I have nothing against that. But to keep bringing up that McCain is a cheater is overdoing it. The sad thing is that McCain isn't even running against Edwards.

By the way, I like the cracker joke.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Why didn't you mention that he was not a politician at the time?

why does it matter?
Why is it okay for a war hero to have an affair, and not a politician?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Because it is similar to your reason about Obama's previous drug use. It happened in the past, just like McCain's affair. Neither was a politician.
That is why i say Obama's previous drug use has no merit in this current election. Likewise, I say McCain affair has no merit either.

Neither the drug use nor affair has affected anything that they have or have not done during their political career. If either had been done during their political career then I would say it is open season on them.

At some point people are going to have to start electing people based on what they have done in their political career rather than what they have or haven't done in their non political career.

This is part of the reason good people with good intentions refuse to get into the political ring. The only thing people seem to care about is the dirt.

I have seen you passion about Obama birth certificate and Muslim connections, etc. and I share your view that they have no place in this election.

Is that not the reason you wrote the issues are important thread?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is somebody having an affair really an important issue?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join