It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear war survival skills

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
What is the best way to survive a surprise nuclear attack upon my community?

With tensions rising between Russia and the U.S. - Isreal and Iran the possibility of a global nuclear war seems to be increasing. I haven't received any pamplets in the mail from the government and we have never had a community wide practice drill.

The government is not broadcasting any kind of survival skills training on T.V. or the radio. There have been no tax break incentives to purchase survival gear or build bunkers.

Sadly I am left to believe that we are ment to fend for ourselves when the nukes start flying.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

According to my old Marine Corps field manual (going off of memory here), the instructions were to face the blast, lay down in the prone position, place your hands over your genitals, wait for debris to stop falling, brush yourself off and continue to fight. No joke...

A bomb shelter is about all that would save you from a direct attack. Duct tape and plastic sheeting for your windows to help in the case of fall out, with a large supply of food and water if it doesn't happen in your immediate area.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
With today's weapons I'm going to tell you just to make peace with God. We really can't imagine the power of the Atomic weapons in the world's arsenals. The bombs used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki are not good indicators of what is going to happen. Listen to Karlhungis. He listed basic skills. Stock up on food and water. Find a place in the mountains somewhere where terrain will negate the effects of fallout. Remember the direction of prevailing winds where you are to minimize and risk of contamination.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE-LURKER
Remember the direction of prevailing winds where you are to minimize and risk of contamination.

This is helpful.

Thank you.

Not sure if I should head North or South though.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I think Yoga is good to learn for the upcoming nuclear war. Oh it will not help you when the nuclear war breaks out but it will make it alot easier to bend over and kiss your azz good-bye.

At any rate, I've found some intresting and informative "news films" about what to do to survive nuclear wars. The type of thing they'd show to audancies during movies back in the 50s. They actually have alot of infomation and are fun to watch.

Also from my understanding the upcoming nuclear war is a limited use war. There are elements that help out. Though if this were not the case, I'd think there wouldn't be much chance of survival.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Hey, who am I to judge its effectiveness.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
I'd think there wouldn't be much chance of survival.

Well that's not very optimistic, now is it?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   

are you blissfully aware at the awesomely overwealming amount of nuclear wepons on the face of our world today? As it goes I think there's enough nuclear wepons total on the planet to distroy everything hundreds of times over. If EVERY wepon was used, the chance for mankind's survival would be next to NULL if not Null. If every wepon was used in a free for all, and you some how survived without aid from the supernatural/aliens, do you really think you'll be there having wanted to survive?

It would be a matter of time before mankind died off as any "survivers" if able to have sex at all would be unable to have children. Do you really think you're going to regroup in the "last human city" way down deep near the earth's core where it's still warm? (Matrix Refrence).

No I am very optomistic believing that alien forces would disable the rest of the nukes before mankind wiped itself off the face of existance.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I'm not sure if it would be possible to survive a surprise nuclear attack to be perfectly honest. I agree 110% with the other posters, that the nuclear arsenal present in the world today has an enourmous amount of power.

If a nuclear war ever did occur, I personally wouldn't be feeling very positive about the consequences. Millions of people would die either directly from the blast itself and millions more would die through radiation sickness.

However, I think if you lived somewhere out of reach from actual blast/explosive then you would have a pretty good chance of surviving providing you didn't get radiation poisoning.

As some one has mentioned, duct tape for your windows and doors would be very useful. You would have to try and seal you house down free from the outside. A good supply of water & food would be nescessary.

I'v read a really good article on surviving a nuclear war before on the net, I'll try and find it and get back to you.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Sadly I am left to believe that we are ment to fend for ourselves when the nukes start flying.

If you happen to be lucky enough to have survived the initial attack, your problems are only starting.

For a nuclear attack, luck will play many important parts. You need to buy some equipment to check radiation from fallout. Your not going to survive if you live through the blast and fire, but then find yourself in a dangerous fallout zone. Fallout can arrive hours later from blast dozens to hundreds of miles away, but carried by the wind. You may or may not notice the particles falling.

As for fending for yourself. Yes, government will cease to exist for some time except at a very local level. It will be extremely limited in capabilities. Expect no help in any matters. Yeah, it's doom and gloom... but it's just the start.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Not that it would be fun, but it is possible and actually likely to survive a nuclear attack. The weapons, because of vastly improved targeting capabilities, are significantly smaller than the multi-megaton yields of the 60's. The odds of an arsenal-clearing, all-out nuclear armegedon are extremely remote. Here are some useful links:

What to Do If A Nuclear Attack Is Imminent

Effects Calculator

Nuclear War Survival Skills

Nuclear Fallout FAQ

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well seeing it is you that wants the info, my advice to you is go to ground zero and embrace the force.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404

Hey, who am I to judge its effectiveness.

Yeah duck cover and kiss yo azz goodbye LOL!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Unless you're able to morph into a cockroach I don't think much else will matter...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I would like to remind a lot of the posters on this thread of the original question.

No ware in that question is there implied or other wise on how to die in a surprise nuclear attack.

When we first pushed to have the survival forums opened on ATS it was a great place to come. Most days it still is. However I have noticed of late all the nay Sayers poking there heads in and wrecking the conversation.

The Survival forums is for learning of survival skills. not laying down and dying. We come here to get away from all the people who say give it up your all gonna die any way. Come on folks give it a rest. if you cant help then don't wreck it for the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

According to my old Marine Corps field manual (going off of memory here), the instructions were to face the blast, lay down in the prone position, place your hands over your genitals, wait for debris to stop falling, brush yourself off and continue to fight. No joke...

According to my old Soviet field manual (going off of memory here), you actually had to lie prone facing AWAY form the blast, and my common sense tells me the same. There was nothing about covering genitals in our books.

Seriosly, the most important thing to survive a strike is to prepare for tis aftermath. Stoke up on water, respirator/filter masks, and canned food and fuel, as well as plenty of grocery bags to poop in, because you'll likely be waiting it out in the basement.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Hi all,

Was thinking of starting a thread based on the same idea before I found this one.
I got the original idea from all of the current events and remembering the movie "War Games".
So, I started poking around the net for the most likely places to get hit by nukes.
After following a few dead ends and false leads I came across a good site and hit pay dirt.

members.aol.com...

On this site not only are are "targets" but fallout zones.
For me, the "pay dirt" came with getting more than I bargained for with all of the other sections there.

Such as:
Earthquake, Tornado, Nuke (targets/fallout) and predicted future geographical map of the U.S.

I hope this helps someone survive the next Big One

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
[edit on 13-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well if I was far enough away to survive the blast I would head straight to the nearest tap!

Think about it, the water contained in the pipes at that time wont be contaminated with any of the radioactive particles that will be raining down. Every possible jar and bottle would be filled with the beautiful runney stuff, and if at that moment I am planning to stay put in my home I would leave the bath to fill up while (as others have said) set about closing windows and duct taping all possible gaps - including the vents and I would have to do something about the gas fire I have.

Then I'll get all my big kitchen knives and sit in the middle of the floor rocking back and forth and chanting nursery rhymes

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
A lot of good info here there were a few things I didn't think of. Great thread I hope to see more good info come out of this one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join