It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sales Tax on Tea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
i went to the local deli and bought a half gallon of iced tea for 99 cents. when the girl rang me up it came to $1.08. i told her there was no sales tax on any tea due to the boston tea party. she didnt know what the boston tea party was and i felt real stupid. i paid the sales tax, but am i right on this assumption? i never had this come up before. i guess i really just never paid attention. does anyone know if this is true? i dont really care about paying the sales tax, i just was in a crappy mood(sick, no sleep) and had to take it out on a helpless girl.
so do we pay sales tax on tea in the U.S.?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Im cant say that i am well up on my US history but wasn't the Boston Tea Party about the US colonists not paying taxes to the Empire and not actually about tea (except for the fact that they destroyed a ship load of tea crates).

Its unlikely that this would have been the reason for no tax being paid on tea.

Other than that, i have no idea about your tea tax

[edit on 10/8/08 by Dermo]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You must have been suffering from an intense fever.

In some states, there is no sales tax on food. It varies, but here in NM, that includes soft drinks and even prepared tea.

Your state may not charge sales tax on food items and the girl might have made a mistake or not, but in any event, the Boston Tea Party would have nothing to do with the situation.

It's a shame that any American over the age of 15 would have never heard of the Boston Tea Party, though, or understand its relevance.

www.eyewitnesstohistory.com...

[edit on 2008/8/11 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

join