It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN Announces Start Date for Hadron Collider

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
www.earthfiles.com...

CERN Announces Start Date for Hadron Collider
First circulating beam on September 10, 2008,
at the injection energy of 450 GeV (0.45 TeV).

August 7, 2008 Geneva, Switzerland - CERN announced today that the first attempt to circulate a beam in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will be September 10, 2008. TV coverage of the start-up will be made available through a Eurovision webcast.

CERN Press Release: “The LHC is the world’s most powerful particle accelerator, producing beams seven times more energetic than any previous machine, and around 30 times more intense when it reaches design performance, probably by 2010. Housed in a 17-mile-long (27 kilometers) tunnel, it relies on technologies that would not have been possible 30 years ago. The LHC is, in a sense, its own prototype.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceara

i wonder if there is any significance with the day before the sept 11 date and being it is 7 year since it has happened

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

Thanks for posting this question/comment that I have as well. Of all times of the year/month - the day before 9-11. If nothing else, how insensitive.
Will we create a man-made black hole and suck ourselves to oblivion?
Maybe.
In the meantime, I've got to do more research into the value of this little experiment and machine. Will it decrease my "carbon foot-print"? I sure hope so as it's 10-1/2 from my delicate 8-1/2 25 years ago.
Or will this machine open up a Pandora's box of uncontrollable horrors unforeseen by its inventors. As the article says, "it IS its own proto-type. Swell - just great - that sounds pretty encouraging - not! Actually, I thought it had already fired up sometime in July and nothing happened.
Boy, these are most uncertain times and the powers that be are attempting to keep us more and more in the dark and out of the loop.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Barbs46

A black hole cannot be created at the LHC for good reasons. Not the least of which is Mass Vs. Material ratio. Consider that a black hole is usually among the more massive objects in the universe....How are we supposed to create a black hole without sufficient star mass? I'm sorry but the mass isn't there.

join