It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat Earth Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I have recently stumbled across the "new" idea of a flat earth. I say new, as this movement of the "Flat-Earthers" really didn't start to grow until after the beautiful photo of the earth that NASA took while on the moon.

Earth Rise Pic

I have read a lot of the material that I found here.

Flat Earth Society

Though I find some of it interesting...I can't buy into a lot of it, as a lot of their theories, or justifications, seem to lack a basic understanding of science. Such as their idea of the poles...They State that if you stand at the North Pole, one is drawn downward by gravity. So wouldn't someone standing on the south pole be expelled out into space if this were true?

It is this kind of reasoning that makes me give this group of thinkers less validity. To me, this holds the same understanding of the natural world as Creationism.

I am interested on hearing peoples feedback on this group though...Supporters and non supporters. Not knocking anyone either way. But as a supporter, I would like to hear your reasons or ideas on why you believe that the earth is flat. More importantly though, Why international space organizations are trying to convince everyone that the earth is globular.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I found that site years ago and after reading a LOT but never posting, I don't believe for a second that any person on that site actually believes that the earth is flat, that the sun and moon travel in a rotating circle in the sky only illuminating half the flat earth and that there is an ice wall at the edge of the planet holding all our air in as the disk we live on continues to accelerate upwards at 1g....

They don't really think that, they simply argue for the sake of arguing, and they don't even do a good job at that.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
i'm not one of them, but i've read up on their topic, and it is quite amusing. It's a simple exercise in logic and reasoning. You are given a set of rules as given information, and you must discredit the belief by staying within the boundaries while supplying a reasonable objection. At the time of this post, i have heard so such objection.

I know they don't believe it at all, but it's not quite the God v. Flying Spaghetti Monster conundrum. There is a chance that they can be proven wrong (within reasonable doubt). It is only a matter of time before someone drives the stake in.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
They don't really think that, they simply argue for the sake of arguing, and they don't even do a good job at that.

I would agree with you if there were no creationists out there

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OutoftheBoxthinker

Exactly...I still find it hard to believe that there are those that accept Creationism as a credible and realistic "science", but there are. I listened to some Podcasts from some flat earthers yesterday, and it was along the same line of thinking. Sure, there are some who say this stuff just for the sake of arguing...But there are those that do really believe this.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Are these 'flat Earther's' the same kind of people that believe the Earth was creadted in 7 days?
Must be.

Tell you what is real though, The Earth ISN'T flat, it ISN't Round or spherical.
ITS A CORKSCREW SHAPE.

And heres my 'physics' to back it up.
but you don't believe in my physical testimony so I won't post it here. I'll keep it all in my head , where it's safe and you can't taint or twist it to suit your needs.
you can't prove it or deny it , and neiter can I so we'll agree to disagree.
oh and the Earth was created in 30 seconds by God breaking wind, coz this world stinks and it is full of #hit.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevets95
reply to post by OutoftheBoxthinker

Exactly...I still find it hard to believe that there are those that accept Creationism as a credible and realistic "science", but there are. I listened to some Podcasts from some flat earthers yesterday, and it was along the same line of thinking. Sure, there are some who say this stuff just for the sake of arguing...But there are those that do really believe this.

If there are those that really believe this I think they just need to be put down. Theres far too much ignorance in our world today with space travel and everything for it to be spread. We need to begin to educate ourselves a society not just come up with crap to argue about it and then less willed people start to believe that. This isn't moving us forward in physics, technology or anything it's only keeping us in the same position.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
90% of the global population has always consisted of ignorant lemmings submitting themselves to whatever leader sounds credible to them and supportive of their needs.... and as long as they have their bread and circuses, they will continue to support their leader... whether that leader is religious, political or economical.

Originally posted by Mcloud313
If there are those that really believe this I think they just need to be put down. Theres far too much ignorance in our world today with space travel and everything for it to be spread. We need to begin to educate ourselves a society not just come up with crap to argue about it and then less willed people start to believe that. This isn't moving us forward in physics, technology or anything it's only keeping us in the same position.

top topics

join