It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 100,000 rare gorillas found in Congo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- An estimated 125,000 Western lowland gorillas are living in a swamp in equatorial Africa, researchers reported Tuesday, double the number of the endangered primates thought to survive worldwide.
"It's pretty astonishing," Hugo Rainey, one of the researchers who conducted the survey for the U.S.-based Wildlife Conservation Society, told CNN Tuesday.

The last census on the species, carried out during the 1980s, estimated that there were only 100,000 of the gorillas left worldwide. Since then, the researchers estimated, the numbers had been cut in half.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I think that this is really a good sign that scientific estimates are not always true and should never be taken as the whole truth.

The planet is so huge as is the Congo region. I think it's great to see these magnificent creatures in these kind of numbers.

Hope that the poachers don't hear about them before a plan to protect them is in place.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Yeh I think its good to.And I think its mother natures way of protecting things.
In my mind the meaning of extinct or endangered is, mother nature is keeping the species away from the devastating eye of human beings.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Great Idea wildlife people, tell the world that there are more than 100,000 rare gorillas in the wild, yes , why not put up a big sign arrow pointing in the gorillas direction that shows where they are to the poachers that will not doubt be heading there right now. YOU MUPPETS....
Couldnt you have just said " there are more than we expected" and leave it at that.
Its great that Mother Nature hid a few more gorillas and left them out of sight of man , but man will find a way to dwindle these numbers down so rich people can have rare coats to wear and show off at parties.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
This topic has already been posted on the ATS news networks:

Please redirect all discussion to the above-linked thread.
Closed.

new topics

top topics

join