It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow 10,000 this week?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

One thing I usually do is look at the Asian markets on Sunday nights, it's a good indicator of what kind of day Monday will be at Wall St. Tomorrow looks rough.

I hate to be yet another doom and gloomer, but I would be willing to bet that we will see the Dow well below 11,000 this week, and we won't see 11,000 again

Wealthy feeling the pain
www.cnbc.com...

More bad news
www.cnbc.com...

This is all on the CNBC main page right now, we are now starting to see MSM admit that things are getting bad. Which sucks because now the slide is going to accelerate like the freight train that it is, freefalling 3,000 ft. into the chasm below.

The housing bubble burst.

The credit bubble is just about to burst.

What is next? Hopefully the oil bubble, because I'm short oil hardcore right now, we will see how that works out.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by downtown436]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The only reason I would say the title of this thread is wrong is because it's on cnbc, who has been heartily LYING to us for quite some time now (as are the other major networks).

Should the markets be tanking? YES, but it should have already happened. It is being held up by shell games. If the headlines in your links start to pan out BEWARE! Someone is manipulating the market in a big way these days. Now I'd have to say the powers that be want a panic all the sudden for this to actually be in the news, but watch everyone get squicked on it.

Today was rather flat, even with this news posted. By the way, in the past few weeks a lot of restrictions on shorts have appeared. Has anyone noticed this? So now they can let the market tank???

Really wish we could get to the bottom of this. Meanwhile, be verrrrrryyyy careful playing this market the next few months. We are on a whole new ride.

Quite frankly, I think most people should get out while they still can, but what is left in terms of safety? The FDIC is going through it's funds rather quickly right now with the few banks that have already failed, but if all of them stopped cooking their books hardly any would not be in the red, and there is NOT enough insurance to cover even what is insured (let alone all the money that isn't). There's also been a few banks that have voluntarily or involuntarily LOST their FDIC Insurance in the past few months. Not to worry, you will get notified 30 days in advance if this happens to your bank, so you can pull your money out.

Treasuries for safety? They aren't worth much now and current reports indicate they aren't selling either. But my big question here is could the Treasury fail? It's not insured, it's not guaranteed. I just wonder if the ultimate solution might be at some point for US to default on TB's.

Lots to think about these days......

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Always remember, the bond market rules the world - watch the 10 year yield.

No significant change will occur on the markets without a meaning move in bond yields.

JK

[edit on 4-8-2008 by leo123]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
too early
By mid Sept to mid Oct look out below
10k dow or sub 10k

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Relentless

Certainly they have been guilty of making doodoo smell like roses, but at the same time Jim Cramer has made me some mad money. BBBBOOOOOOYYYYYYAAAAA

I have an "ETF of the day" style of trading. I have been using DIG (proshares ultra oil&gas) and DUG (proshares ultra short oil&gas), to ride oil prices up and down.

You can make just as much money when markets go down as you can when they go up. I really don't care which way it goes. I just think things are about to go down real fast. Including oil.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by solo1

You could be right. A lot is riding on tomorrows fed decision.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I think the GSE bailout and making nineteen or so stocks unshortable has propped the market, and will probably hold into fall. My personal targets for the DOW is

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Not this week, I might go with next week though

Look for it between the 12th & 15th. If it doesn't happen some serious research needs to go into why.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'm wrong I'm wrong I'm wrong.

The train wreck is much slower than I thought. A train wreck non the less.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Ok so I don't really know exactly what will happen on Monday, but for some reason I think it is going to be real bad.

Here are some of the possibilities.

-False flag nuke (Mr. Nuke #6 from the barksdale incident.)

-Dow stays flat as the dollar gets pummeled by an extreme plunge protection team manuver, gold goes to 1000$.

-Nothing, everything is still fine and dandy.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The markets will be played with until after the elections, after the elections America is going to wake up to the bitter reality of their life specially for those that still clink to what our government is telling us with lies and fixed numbers.

Just sit tied and wait for the ride to end.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

This is a good time to make money as markets are extremely volitile, I will continue to ride this roller coaster until the train leaves the tracks. Bad news just means it's shortin' time.

It's a tragic state of affairs for people who had their money invested in some of these scumball financial institutions however.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well, this is the week. S&P closed under 1,000 as well. Look a couple of posts up, I thought it would hit these levels, but I thought the process would take a little longer.

Many people think tha the DOW is the most important US index. It only tracks 30 companies though. The S&P 500 tracks the largest 500 publicly traded US companies and is a much broader index that better represents the US market as a whole.

new topics

top topics

join