It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irony or product placement?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'm watching the History Channel with a special on the secret history of Nazis in America. During the commercial break, comes a commercial for the Sham-Wow. They make it a point to tell the viewer several times that the product is made in Germany, and even highlight the point at the end under the "beware of imitators."

Now maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but I'll bet there are a bunch of little neo-Nazis ordering up their Sham-Wows right now, so they can brag to their friends that they have the latest product from the "genius" Germany.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Hm, you are aware of the fact that Germany has been "nazi-free" for the last 63 years, right?

I really don't see how a commercial for a german product or the product itself could have anything to do with nazis and nazism, sorry.

Ok, i had to google shamwow. Cleaning towels and nazis, seriously?

I don't mean to sound disrespectful towards you in any way, but maybe you should consider the feelings of all the good people that live in Germany today. Not everything that comes out of Germany is linked to nazism. And especially not cleaning wipes.

Edited for typo.

And second edit: i read your post again and i might have jumped too quickly to a wrong conclusion? Are you actually saying that its not a coincidence that the commercial is broadcasted during the docu about nazi germany, and they're targeting it at any neo-nazi that might be watching?

Well i don't know, but about the "made in germany, beware of imitations" part, that's something a lot of german products use, at least in europe. There was a time, after the war, when german products had the reputation of being high quality. Of course this is just partially true in today globalised world, but they're still using that. At least in europe, maybe in usa it's not so common...

[edit on 3-8-2008 by Wallachian]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

Sorry, I didn't really articulate that well I suppose. I am very aware that Germany is no longer Nazi. But on the other hand, I happen to know a few idiots who like to think they are Nazis themselves and go crazy for anything German from Beck's to Volkswagen to Rammstein.

[edit on 8/3/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Yeah, i edited my post in the meanwhile... I thought more about it and understood what you actually meant.

While something like neo-nazis buying products just cause they're made in germany could be true, i still think it's a coincidence about the show and the commercial being broadcasted together... Unless they normally show a different commercial. I don't know, i never even heard of that product before.

Argh, it just makes me angry when people like those you speak of still associate nazism with germans and germany... I lived long enough there to understand what a cool country with good people it really is.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
All my beer is brewed in accordance with the German Purity Law.

It sounds weird, but it just means it meets the brewing standards.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

That sham-wow product is on all the time at night on every channel.
It's on so often that I'm thinking of buying one.
No conspiracy here, just a coinkydinkie, you're being paranoid.
Zig Heil, how you say in english, I mean carry on, nothing to see here mein furer.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian
i still think it's a coincidence about the show and the commercial being broadcasted together...

Its not coincidence.

Watch a children's show. You'll see commercials about children's movies, video games and toys.

Watch a football game. You'll see commercials about pizza, beer and other sporting events.

Companies, through their commercials, try to appeal to who they believe are watching the TV program that is on, or the channel it is on.

I have seen this "Sham-Wow" commercial on many other channels, but the first time I ever saw it was about two months ago, on the History Channel, during a show about Hitler and the occult.

I think this goes both ways. I don't believe they are limiting themselves to only advertising during programs with ties to Germany or Nazis, but I also don't believe it is merely coincidence that they advertise during programs that are tied to Germany or Nazis.

In my personal opinion, what jackinthebox has speculated, about them targeting Neo-Nazis, is very possible and even probable. That doesn't mean they're only targeting Neo-Nazis, but I believe they are definitely getting that Neo-Nazi dollar, simply because it is made in Germany, as jackinthebox said.

Good observation, jack

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by Wallachian

Sorry, I didn't really articulate that well I suppose. I am very aware that Germany is no longer Nazi. But on the other hand, I happen to know a few idiots who like to think they are Nazis themselves and go crazy for anything German from Beck's to Volkswagen to Rammstein.

[edit on 8/3/0808 by jackinthebox]

And I guess the jews are supporting the nazis also, go to any talent agency, production company, studio etc which mostly is jew owned /operated and what do you see in the parking structures........About 95 % German made cars.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Star for you. You seem to have articulated more clearly the thoughts that I had but am not able to easily formulate into sentences in my current condidtion.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by StefanO

This has nothing to do with "supporting Nazis." As was clearly stated above, and should be well known in general, Germany is no longer under the control of the Nazis.

top topics

join